The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
ihatericeburners

need advice on stock vortec or hump heads (not one vs the other)

Im not asking which is better, but which is a better fit for my particular situation.

I have a stock (heads, cam, pistons) goodwrench 350 with a/c, p/s, dual plane intake, hei, 600 cfm Edelbrock, rebuilt auto 350, original gears, 20 inch wheels. She is just a cruiser but I want more usable power.

I have access to a set of hump heads. The 461 variety. With 202 valves, ported, polish in studs, new springs, hardened seats, bowled, that are said to have 10 hours run time. They are my fathers and he has $300 into them. They were purchased as is.

So my question is would the motor make better power on stock lift/rebuilt vortec heads with a low lift cam or woulf I get better power out of the hump heads and a higher lift cam. I would like to keep the heads and cam swap close to $600. if i go the vortec route i want to make sure the power will be significantly higher for the added cost of a new intake and covers.

I have never swapped heads or a cam but I have always wanted to learn. Its always been a little embarrassing when I say I am a classic truck fuy and have never been deeper than the valve covers! Lol
Thanks!
ihatericeburners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: need advice on stock vortec or hump heads (not one vs the other)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatericeburners View Post
Im not asking which is better, but which is a better fit for my particular situation.

I have a stock (heads, cam, pistons) goodwrench 350 with a/c, p/s, dual plane intake, hei, 600 cfm Edelbrock, rebuilt auto 350, original gears, 20 inch wheels. She is just a cruiser but I want more usable power.

I have access to a set of hump heads. The 461 variety. With 202 valves, ported, polish in studs, new springs, hardened seats, bowled, that are said to have 10 hours run time. They are my fathers and he has $300 into them. They were purchased as is.

So my question is would the motor make better power on stock lift/rebuilt vortec heads with a low lift cam or woulf I get better power out of the hump heads and a higher lift cam. I would like to keep the heads and cam swap close to $600. if i go the vortec route i want to make sure the power will be significantly higher for the added cost of a new intake and covers.

I have never swapped heads or a cam but I have always wanted to learn. Its always been a little embarrassing when I say I am a classic truck fuy and have never been deeper than the valve covers! Lol
Thanks!
Probably not going to be a huge difference unless you are running high rpm all the time.

The vortecs do flow a little bit better, and they will already have hardened valve seats, which the double humps won't unless the machine shop installed them.

Normal driving below 4000 rpm you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
ihatericeburners

They are said to have harden seats.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

If those double hump heads have had much milled off the surface you should be concerned with piston to valve clearance and compression ratio. It is easy to take a decent running basically stock 87 octane burning engine and make a premium gas burner that produces very little more power.. .
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
davischevy

You probably won't be able to feel the difference in normal driving.

Your old style intake won't work with the vortec heads.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
ihatericeburners

Thanks for the responses!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Coley

Here is an important point about the 461's that might have a bearing: They don't have the front accessory hole/taps to mount the stock alternator and a/c brackets. If you use these heads you will need to switch to more of an automotive style set-up for supporting these accessories.
Check out under your hood and review where your accessories (Alternator, a/c ) mount against the heads you have access to.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Here is an important point about the 461's that might have a bearing: They don't have the front accessory hole/taps to mount the stock alternator and a/c brackets. If you use these heads you will need to switch to more of an automotive style set-up for supporting these accessories.
Check out under your hood and review where your accessories (Alternator, a/c ) mount against the heads you have access to.
All Good
Coley
I believe some 461 heads had front accessory holes. On a related note, the vortec heads fron holes are a different pattern than gen 1 sbc heads. Vortecs also require self aligning rocker arms and in stock configuration cant run a ver high lift cam with mods or beehive springs.

Imo stick with gen 1 heads if it is a mld buikd and your truck is an old school or original theme.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: need advice on stock vortec or hump heads (not one vs the other)

....good point Wideside72 about the accessory holes....I've heard about that too.

Here is another tip or approach 'ihatericeburners'.
If money and a budget is important (and it should be) then one thing you might try looking into is picking up a set of rebuilt used Gen 1 cast heads.
There are a lot of guys out there switching over to the aluminum stuff which has brought a lot of the older cast heads onto the market cheap.
If you know what you are looking for you could pick up a really nice set of very useable (possibly rebuilt) heads for minimal money by taking advantage of this.
I picked up a fully rebuilt set of '041's myself for under $300, which I'm very happy about. Plus they fit my original engine, manifolds and all accessories without any fuss or 'creeping costs'.
All you need is a little time, effort and to watch craigslist or local swap meets. OR if you are really serious, put a 'heads wanted' ad and see what hits in terms of response....ya' never know.

My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
ihatericeburners

Thanks alot for the input.

my opinion is: if the two head choices I listed are going to be about the same performance, then I will chose to go with the hump heads. This way I can keep the manifold and covers I have instead of buy the vortec style. And deal with the alternator bracket. Seeing that my a/c setup mounts to the headers anyhow.

My next question is where to find the information I need to complete this project. I have to figure out rockers, timing chain, etc. Where should I go from here?

thanks!