The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
slosteve

Question Differential Lockpin Availability

So I start what I think will be a simple maintenance project and 'bam', right away something goes awry. I've got a rear axle seal leaking on my '71, so as I'm taking it apart, I remove the differential pinion shaft 'lockpin' and all that comes out is about 1 inch of the threaded part of the bolt - the rest remaining in the hole. I finally get the broken part out and a friend tells me "good luck finding a new one"! Are these items really hard to find?
slosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
skidder111

Re: Differential Lockpin Availability

That should be available at any auto parts store. That system is still used on GM semi floating axles. Take the old lockpin with you to the store.

Last edited by skidder111; 12-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.
skidder111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Aarons72s

They are in the help section at the autoparts store. I got one a few years back. Oh and congrats on getting the broken pin out. Those are a real pita to get out when they brake. I still havent got the one out of an axle I bought the pin for.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
MikeN

That lock pin (GM calls it a screw) is still available at GM dealerships.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
slosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosteve View Post
So I start what I think will be a simple maintenance project and 'bam', right away something goes awry. I've got a rear axle seal leaking on my '71, so as I'm taking it apart, I remove the differential pinion shaft 'lockpin' and all that comes out is about 1 inch of the threaded part of the bolt - the rest remaining in the hole. I finally get the broken part out and a friend tells me "good luck finding a new one"! Are these items really hard to find?
SO THEN......I remove the axles to pull the leaking seals and decide to inspect the bearing surface on them - you know where this is going. They are showing distinct signs of 37 years of use! The hardened surface is worn through and there's some pitting going on. Now it's time to look for new axles. Has anyone found a good source? My rearend is a standard corporate 12 bolt light duty.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Psycho71

I had the same issue with the lock pin. When I got my truck it had a bad outer axle bearing, and had screwed up the housing along with the axle bearing surface. So I found a donor truck, bought it, and yanked the rear end out of it. This truck had been severely overloaded, as so many of these things have. It had completely crushed the crush sleeve, and driven the pinion back into the carrier, scarring it very badly. Upon removing the lock screw, I came up with about one inch of it. Since it was all trashed anyway, I took a 5lb sledge and a 1/2" extension (held with channel locks) to it. Took me a LOT of wailing and cussing before I finally sheared the remaining portion of the screw of, and the pin came out. Luckily, the axles and housing were still in good shape. So after mixing and matching parts from both rears, and a new bearing and seal kit, I had one good rear end and one good axle left over.

Glad to see yours went much better. But then again; if it's someone else's, it always does, LOL.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!

Last edited by Psycho71; 12-13-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Derek Sparks

Quote:

From another post:::

This broken bolt is so common. I've had three of them in the last 6mths at our shop. We use a specialty tool that gets this done in about 10 min. Got ours from either a Snap-on truck or Matco, can't remember, but did a search on google and found them online at www.fabbriassociates.com, www.etoolcart.com, www.skywaytools.com and even ebay. If time is money this kit is worth a months pay because we don't worry about damaging the carriers anymore!

Hope this helps someone:::
Derek Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
71BB_LWB
Thread Killer!

Quote:
SO THEN......I remove the axles to pull the leaking seals and decide to inspect the bearing surface on them - you know where this is going. They are showing distinct signs of 37 years of use! The hardened surface is worn through and there's some pitting going on. Now it's time to look for new axles. Has anyone found a good source? My rearend is a standard corporate 12 bolt light duty.
Timken makes a repair bearing that moves the bearings to a new part of the axle, I got mine at Autozone. I had one axle on my build that was the same way. It was esier than finding new axles...

Here is the info from Autozone web site

About this product:
Part Number: TRP1559TV
Weight: 0.75 lbs.
Note: Optional: axle repair package bearing axle repair bearing allows bearing & seal to ride on un-worn axle path

Pricing:
$29.99
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice...

Last edited by 71BB_LWB; 12-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.
71BB_LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
slosteve

Red face Re: Differential Lockpin Availability

I've never thought of myself as being an impatient person when it comes to saving a buck, but after listening to my closest buddies prompting I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a set of new axles from Moser. They arrived this morning and they look real nice. Then I got on-line and read that Timken repair post.
So I've now got a spare set of slightly worn axles that can still be used with this kit.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
71Farmtruck
Junk Junkie

Anyone have the gm part number for that bolt? The one in my 81' broke as well, however I lucked out and the rest of the bolt was not seized in so it ran out easy.

71 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed Stepside
81 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic Long Bed
71Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote