The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
BirdFlewLS1

Rocker panels, and cab Corners On 84

I am new to this site and new to the body aspect of wrenching. so i was wondering How do i go about replacing my rocker panels and cab corners on my 84 chevy truck. Ive been told to take the doors and fenders off and cut away the rust on the cab corners and then fit it and trace it and cut about an inch below the line...which im not understanding because then there would be a edge? i dont know im probably not thinking it threw...and pictures or help would be awesome
BirdFlewLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Rocker panels, and cab Corners On 84

welcome to the board you would prolly want to post this thread in the body work forum there are several articles there by Martinsr to look at

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
DESTRO

For the rocker replacement you could leave the doors on. I'd take them off cuz I feel it's easier. I took the fenders and doors off when I did mine. The cab corner you'll need to move the bed back or off.
I'd leave as muck good steel as possible. Cut out the bad and then cut your patch panels to fit. No need to remove perfectly good steel. When you weld you can either butt up the two pieces and weld or over lapp and weld along the edge. Either way your gonna have to use a filler to blend everything in anyway.
Hope that helps alittle
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

welcome aboard...

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I would start with the door hinges. Yes, door hinges and then the gaps around the doors. The door has to be right first. The rocker is not only structural, it is visible. Cutting apart the rocker and cab corner, along with part of the floor in many cases, can allow some body movement. You have to do your best to, not only keep that to a minimum, but to know where it needs to be in the first place. That is why starting with door alignment does so much. You have to start right, brace/support as much as you can, but make it so that the door can stay on. Not to say that you can't remove it for clearance, but make it so that you can put it back easily. Then cut out the old and fit your new parts. Tack, screw, or Cleco them in place and put the door back on. If you need to adjust, it's only the rocker you need to move. You can get the gap even and be sure that it is not too far in or out where it meets the door. I would swing the door out of the way and firm-up the tacks, check again and then remove the door for final welding.
It is far easier to adjust a small part to fit the bigger one
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
BirdFlewLS1

OK. I did remove the box already thats all taken care of. i worked on taking the fenders off because they need to be replaced anyway. the doors i might take on off at a time and just rehang them if its needed.