The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
BC10

Optimal Tire Diameter

Hi Everyone,
What diameter tire will yield optimal performance on my truck???
After searching and reading through many of the topics based on rear differential gear ratio and tire sizes I am still stumped, this may be a result of me being a rookie in regards to rebuilding vehicles. I also tried to use the online calculators but am still stumped.

I have a 1968 short bed c10. According to the previous owner, the engine and tranny (TH400) was transplanted from a 1969 Camaro z28. The original rear differential was a 3.08, which I have since replaced with a 3.42 (much more responsive now).

I am doing a little of city and highway driving, and some light hauling. I recently purchased 15x8 stock rally wheels that will replace the current aftermarket 15x8s.

So my question is what diameter tires would give me optimal performance (power and mpg) if I am cruising at about 65-70 mph on the highway?

I am leaning towards 255/70/15, a diameter of 29", would this be ideal?
Any input is much appreciated. I am very grateful for the wealth of knowledge from members on these forums, and hope to contribute during my rebuild. Thanks!
Attached Images

BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote