The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Part / Junk it?

The 79 K10 I have, i'm running out of motivation to work on it quickly. Just because it isn't worth it to me. It's just a longbox 4x4. Not a SWB 4x4 or 2wd. I've already cut out the floor sections, rockers, cab corners. I just can't justify the work into the truck considering it wont be worth much more than the sheet metal I put into it.

The only real thing it has going for it right now is, it has a solid running 350 in it. That's it. If it was a 67-72 lwb 4x4 i'd be all over fixing it. Sure, the truck is well optioned. But it needs everything sheet metal wise. Including a whole bed. I love the 73-79 style.

I'm just not sure if I should trudge forth and finish the bodywork on the truck. It also needs brand new brake lines.

68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Part / Junk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadSS View Post
The 79 K10 I have, i'm running out of motivation to work on it quickly. Just because it isn't worth it to me. It's just a longbox 4x4. Not a SWB 4x4 or 2wd. I've already cut out the floor sections, rockers, cab corners. I just can't justify the work into the truck considering it wont be worth much more than the sheet metal I put into it.

The only real thing it has going for it right now is, it has a solid running 350 in it. That's it. If it was a 67-72 lwb 4x4 i'd be all over fixing it. Sure, the truck is well optioned. But it needs everything sheet metal wise. Including a whole bed. I love the 73-79 style.

I'm just not sure if I should trudge forth and finish the bodywork on the truck. It also needs brand new brake lines.

Seems like a lot of rust just on the driver side....can't see the passenger side though...from what I see it looks like a lot of work....if you have the time go for it....I probably wouldn't sell it so I could just have something to do over free time.....but there are defiantly other things to do though....

Last edited by THE "10" SILVERADO; 11-22-2010 at 01:22 AM.
THE "10" SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

One of the things I've come to learn in my 38 years of life regarding automotive projects in your life is that something ALWAYS has to give. Time to spend with your spouse, children, work, and money of course is ALWAYS compromised when you work on an automobile. As much as I love cars/trucks, I would much rather spend time with my wife and kids. I'm done with big projects for the time being, anyway.

A project like the one you have on your hands is HUGE. Not necessarily intrusive if you are single, but a lot of work and $$ nonetheless. All that being said, I'd probably just sell it as is, unless you have the time and space to part it out.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
One of the things I've come to learn in my 38 years of life regarding automotive projects in your life is that something ALWAYS has to give. Time to spend with your spouse, children, work, and money of course is ALWAYS compromised when you work on an automobile. As much as I love cars/trucks, I would much rather spend time with my wife and kids. I'm done with big projects for the time being, anyway.

A project like the one you have on your hands is HUGE. Not necessarily intrusive if you are single, but a lot of work and $$ nonetheless. All that being said, I'd probably just sell it as is, unless you have the time and space to part it out.
The deal is, I work for an restoration company. So I've already purchased fenders, rockers, cab corners, floor patches, floor braces, lower cowl patches. Spent $850 on a pair of NOS doors, another $425 in a bed floor. I think i'm just going to forget about the truck for a week or two and rehash things.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
thepenguin99

I don't know the situation on rust in kansas but I have scrapped quite a few trucks with less rust than that. If it were me I would scrap the cab/bed and keep the running gear for a future truck.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 11-22-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadSS View Post
The deal is, I work for an restoration company. So I've already purchased fenders, rockers, cab corners, floor patches, floor braces, lower cowl patches. Spent $850 on a pair of NOS doors, another $425 in a bed floor. I think i'm just going to forget about the truck for a week or two and rehash things.
ah, I hear you. I've thought about quitting many times in the middle of projects but stepping back always clears the mind. A break should do you good.

I hope it all works out, it sounds like you had some good plans for it, and putting another one of these 4X4 longbeds out on the road is always a good thing.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

I've also scrapped trucks with about the same or less rust than yours has. If those are the original metal headlight bezels, keep those, send them off for rechrome, b/c you can only buy plastic ones these days, and as stated keep what you can of it. Maybe just get a donor cab and bed?
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Noticed the screen name and nice to see your still around. Looks similar to my 78 3/4 ton 4x4 i got for winter duty. Still need to throw dads 235/85/r16s on it and do the front brakes and hoses and shocks, and she needs a cam, but running and driving for 460 bucks. I dont plan to do any body work on mine though man, i say keep it.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive started with less

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
lilpoindexter

part
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
80stepsideguy
Laid back freak

Put it in the garage and take your time.No need to give up that easy and you`ll save another 1 from being a memory.If not sell it all as a package deal.

thanks
pat
80stepsideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
69subaru360

Honestly I wouldn't bother. I junked my last Suburban for rust that wasn't even as bad as your truck.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote