The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
DetroitDan

indecisive exhaust ??s

I am looking for some mufflers to make my truck sound good. It's a stock 454 with stock iron manifolds, which I plan on keeping because I love the way it's so quiet at the front of the truck. It is a really long truck, crewcab longbed. Right now I've got decent pipes running from the manifolds back to two cheapo mufflers at the back of the cab, then the tailpipes are absurdly small, totally rotted and exiting out the sides behind the rear wheels. So I can chop the old mufflers off and have room for about anything. I'd like to have the pipes exit at the rear corners at a 45 degree angle to the rear. Straight back would be easier but I don't like how exiting straight out the rear looks too susceptible to backing into things. Plowing always results in backing into snowbanks.
I heard a sound clip elsewhere on here with Summit Turbo mufflers on a stock 350 that sounded great, so I'm thinking I might go that route rather than spending a lot of money on Flowmasters or Magnaflows. I used to hate Flowmasters, too loud IMO, but with this old truck I kind of want to make some noise, as long as it's exiting out the back and only from the pipes, not the whole truck. The Super 40s sound great on the sound clip. Also thought about glasspack cherrybomb style mufflers, because they are cheap and I think they ought to make some noise.
I just don't know what to do! Somebody give me a nudge in the right direction.
DetroitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: indecisive exhaust ??s

well i had my 78 true duals ending under the axle.....too loud
had midas put tails on to the bumper............loud but you could talk at a light lol
last time i brought it in the pointed out the manifolds are cracked
said it could be from backing (the stock pipe)into a curb or something
the stock pipe was rotten on the burb,removed and put on one side,straight out the back
as it is now,i don't hit it
the jimmy has them what i would call stock postion,cherry bomb duals out either side,not what i want, but straight out the back would put the fumes more comining the back for the jimmy
after i get running boards on it i will get them out the sides before the rear wheels
not sure but a 45 might be easier to hit,then a tight tuck
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 11-26-2010 at 06:18 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
PRattenbury

I have a Pypes X-pipe that's looking for a new home. 2-1/2". Never used. I couldn't see any decent way to make it fit on my shortbed truck.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
jrcaprai

I am thinking about getting these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14419/

Cuz they sound like this :
I have Flowmaster 40's and they are just too loud!
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
69subaru360

I have the summit turbo mufflers on mine. I like them a lot. You can hear them, but nowhere near annoying. Not bad on the highway either. I put 200 miles on it doing about 70 the other day and it wasn't loud at all. I have iron manifold and the tailpipes exit behind the rear wheels, it's a longbed.

I like this setup a lot, I had the same on the suburban I had, my buddy liked it so much he had me install the same setup on his suburban.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
rblcori7

Subscribed to this thread... im in somewhat of the same boat.... i havnt made up my mind on how i wanna do my exhaust.. cherrybombs, or flowmasters... straight back or X pipes, 2.5 inch or 3 inch pipes....

2011 Silverado LTZ
rblcori7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
DetroitDan

I think I'm sold on the Summit turbos now. Just need to get under the truck and double check the pipe size on the input side. I think they're 2.5 but think and know are usually not the same thing.
DetroitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
baclay9

Good deal man. Best thing you can do with exhaust is just decide what YOU want and then quit listening to everyone else and just do it. Everybody will have a different opinion of what is best but in the end you just have to pick one and go for it.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
jrcaprai

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
Good deal man. Best thing you can do with exhaust is just decide what YOU want and then quit listening to everyone else and just do it. Everybody will have a different opinion of what is best but in the end you just have to pick one and go for it.
X2
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
BIG10

Definitely make it what YOU want. But since you're asking. . . I like the sound of those Summit Turbo's.

I just have headers, straight pipes with stock mufflers exiting on each side behind the rear wheel. It sounds great without being annoying and not too much resonance in the cab.

I'm sure whatever you decide on will sound great.

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote