The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
slowtruck

Lowering blocks and traction?

How or will a set of lowering block affect traction? I've searched it and found nothing to say it will be a problem, but wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm looking to do 2" blocks on a trailing arm rear setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by slowtruck; 09-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
slowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Lowering blocks and traction?

I guess it kinda depends on how hard it hooked before. If you consider Dave Morgans statements about 'pitch rotating' it seems it would hurt unless it was as soft as it was before. But it will be entirely up to your particular combination of suspension / tire / traction / rotation / torque / weight / weight bias / power / and just how you hold your tounge at launch

(lets see is there anything else I can throw in LOL)

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
slowtruck

No telling how it would have launched, I just wanted to make sure that installing them would completely be bad and kill the geometry or something. What's the Dave Morgans statement you are referring to?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Super73

A lowering block on a leaf sprung vehicle is completely different than a lowering block on a trailing arm truck. With a leaf sprung vehicle, the pinion has the bility to rotate where on our trucks it has less ability to do so.

The good with lowering our trucks, it brings the instant center to a longer/lower position. This can aid it front rise or. Weight xfer nd cn soften the hit the rear tires see. This icg position is dictated by looking at the vehicle from a side view. Draw a line from where the tire meets the road through the front bolt hole on the lower control arm.
Posted via Mobile Device
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtruck View Post
......What's the Dave Morgans statement you are referring to?
Posted via Mobile Device

Find yourself a copy of 'Doorslammers" book by Dave Morgan. There is also a book out there by Bickle . There is TONS of info out there, but what applies to our trucks is more of what others have done with a like combination and works.

I backhalfed mine so I really have little to bring to the table here in stock suspensions. I never went under a 13.3 quarter with the stock trailing arm.. but was power limited back then too. . Just understand that every chassis will act differently to 'identical' mods because every torque curve, tire, and weight is going to be different.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Super73

There are really only a couple ways to lower Instant Center of Gravity on a trailing arm truck.
1) Lower the whole truck.
2) Make a new adjustable lower control are bracket. Move the mounting point of the LCA down.

I guess there is a third, put a ladder bar or 4-link in it. But in most ways, the stock LCA works like a ladder bar.

The block is a bigger problem with a leaf sprung vehicle as the block between the rear and leaf spring gives the axle more leverage to wrap up a leaf spring. The is not near the issue with a trucks LCA, and when you modify them a bit to stiffen them up even more than they are stock, it is even less of an issue.

I ran blocks till I went to a 4-link. I think DJ and Paul run blocks.
Posted via Mobile Device
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
slowtruck

Thank you guy! I'm going to run 2" blocks and it will help get the ride height I'm looking for.