The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
ewoody625

Disc brake swap...Help!

Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some info. I recently bought a 70 c10 w/drum brakes and I have a 71 c10 w/disc brakes. What do I have to do to swap the disc brakes from the 71 to the 70? I was told nothing is the same. I find it hard to believe they wont swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Eric
ewoody625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Disc brake swap...Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody625 View Post
Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some info. I recently bought a 70 c10 w/drum brakes and I have a 71 c10 w/disc brakes. What do I have to do to swap the disc brakes from the 71 to the 70? I was told nothing is the same. I find it hard to believe they wont swap. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Eric
Don't go to whomever it was that told you 'nothing is the same' for any further truck advice. Pull the parts off the 71 & swap 'em to the 70. If you can get the 5-lug 71 rear, it will swap directly over as well (but it is slightly wider). You can also leave your current 6-lug rear in & get aftermarket '6-lug swap' rotors for the front (same as a 5-lug rotor) from a board vendor. You'll need disc brake compatible wheels on the front either way....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-09-2009 at 08:29 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
ewoody625

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Don't go to whomever it was that told you 'nothing is the same' for any further truck advice. Pull the parts off the 71 & swap 'em to the 70. If you can get the 5-lug 71 rear, it will swap directly over as well (but it is slightly wider). You can also leave your current 6-lug rear in & get aftermarket '6-lug swap' rotors for the front (same as a 5-lug rotor) from a board vendor. You'll need disc brake compatible wheels on the front either way....
Ha! Yeah I figured it had to swap. Can I use the same power booster and master cyclinder from the 70 drum set up or do I have to swap that out as well? I've also read a few posts about switching brake lines do I need to do that?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
ewoody625

One more thing. I guess I should have been more specific. Can I swap just the spindles or do I have to do the whole front end, control arms, tie rods, ect.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
MikeB

I assume you have a C10? If so, the tie rod ends, adjuster sleeves, center link, and ball joints are specific to 71-72. Attached is a Word file with some info I compiled. My 69 has 86 light duty spindles (smaller rotors and bearings) that I installed back in 1995 before I knew what I was doing! Although, they work very well, even towing a light trailer. I had my rear axles re-drilled back then for 5 on 5.

By the way, 69-70 C10 front end parts are the same.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Moog Suspension and Steering Parts.doc (38.0 KB, 97 views)
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody625 View Post
Ha! Yeah I figured it had to swap. Can I use the same power booster and master cyclinder from the 70 drum set up or do I have to swap that out as well? I've also read a few posts about switching brake lines do I need to do that?
You will need the mastercylinder and proportioning valve from the 71...the power booster on the 70 should work just fine.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
michael bustamante

also youll need to swap the front brake lines. thats where im at on mine now as well
Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
cdowns

easy way is to just unbolt the crossmembers and take the whole thing from one to the other//
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Terakilla

Sorry to thread steal but is redrilling the back axleshafts the only of best way for going from 6 lug to 5. Wanting 5 lug disks all the way around, found lots of info redarding front swaps, but can't find much on rear 5 lug disk brakes, any info would be awesome.
1984 Dodge D150 5.9L Magnum
1995 Dodge 3500 V10
1991 Ford 250 460
Terakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
ewoody625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terakilla View Post
Sorry to thread steal but is redrilling the back axleshafts the only of best way for going from 6 lug to 5. Wanting 5 lug disks all the way around, found lots of info redarding front swaps, but can't find much on rear 5 lug disk brakes, any info would be awesome.
I swaped out my 6 lug axle shafts for 5 lug shafts I had.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
ewoody625

BTW... I just want to thank everyone for all the info.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terakilla View Post
No, re-drilling is not the best way. Purchasing new stronger axle shafts that have the correct bolt pattern is the best way.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

I just finished swapping my 70 chevy to five lug. I found a doner 71 front end and used the spindles and went to the auto parts for new pads and some other parts. I also swapped the outer tie rods off the 71. Also used a 72 set of axles and slid them right in my rear diff. Easy swap...There is a forum that names all the parts i think.....
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

The 71-72 Ball joints, and tie rod ends are different than 63-70. There are a couple of ways to do the swap.
You can use your existing engine crossmember and swap out the upper "A" arms, lower "A" arms, tie rods, drag link, and other steering components except the pitman arm.
You can keep your "A" arms and swap out all of the above and change the ball joints.
You can swap out the whole crosmember and all steering components. (This is the way that I do it)

Above adresses the steering only.

Now for the brakes..

If keeping your crossmember, there are a couple of things that you can do. The cheapest and easiest way is to just put an adjustible proportioning valve in between your existing proportioning valve and the rear brakes.

You can use the donor trucks mastercylinder, booster, brake rod, and proportioning valve. Custom bend the vertical brake lines if you are using your front crossmember.

If using the donor trucks complete front crossmember with everything atached you can do the following.

You can use the donor trucks mastercylinder, booster, brake rod, and proportioning valve, if the brake lines are in good shape use all of them including the vertical ones. If not, bend your own or purchase pre-bent ones.

If using your mastercylender/ booster assembly. Custom bend the vertical brake lines and put an adjustible proportioning valve in between your existing proportioning valve and the rear brakes.

There may be a few steps left out but this gives you what you need to use and or buy. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote