The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
JPSAUTO

Bb Heat Stove

Anyone have one they would sell?? Or even post a pic of one so I know what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance. 69 CST 396 shorty
JPSAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
Harold Shepard

I got one just recently from DC Dave in Vancover WA. If you will go to my post Big Block Heat Stove (do search), the date is 6-07-04. Another board member posted some pictures for me. It took me nearly three years to find one to put back on my truck, so good luck, but you are in the right place to find one if it is out there. Harold
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
JPSAUTO

Hey thanks Harold, now that I know what I'm looking for maybe I can find one. What's fair market value???
JPSAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

This is weird having this Heat stove question on here for me anyway as I need one also.

My 70 GMC 402 failed the Safety Inspection yesterday only because it doesn't have the Pre Heat Stove installed!!
It has headers but the stock air breather. The guy says it is required for
68 up, so he failed it on that. One turn signal bulb was out to which I didn't know. That is all he found.

My question is: Would a heat stove off a small block fit on a big block?
I would have to modify it to work with the headers I know. I just need something to work to satisfy this ID 10T. I am planning to visit the local salvage yard to try and find one that would work, atleast temporarily to get the license plates renewed.

Thanks for any help on this.

[And I apologize if this is considered as hi jacking this thread.]

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
HuggerCST

Man, that's crazy. If it were me, I'd just fix the tailight and go somewhere else for a sticker.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Harold Shepard

Guys this something like a frog hair. From what I have been told the ones that didn't get tossed almost always burn up (not a true burn but heat cycle so much that they decompose). I have priced them from $200 down, even offered a stranger at a show to buy the one he had on the truck he was selling. It had manifolds and shield and everything else was changed to chrome and such, wouldn't hear of selling shield, but said he would sell me the whole P.O.S. so I could get the shield if I wanted so bad. TSGT882- you might look in Rick's camaro Parts catalog, the have stoves that you might be able to modify to your headers to pass inspection. I think he is located in Tucker GA. good place to deal with. Harold
Old 07-31-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

I checked with a buddy of mine at the base. He is retired Air Force and now works at the Base Hobby Shop. He has always been big into Chevelles. After talking to him about it he said someone had dropped off an old exhaust system there with the manifolds and the heat stove still on them. So I have one now. I had to make a brake out of sheetmetal for it to work but its installed. I realize the sheetmetal may not last very long due to the heat but I'll see if the d**khead will pass it now.
No luck at the salvage yard this morning either. I didn't even see any big blocks let alone any heat stoves that looked like they would work. And they don't have the 67 C30, 70 C10, or the 72 C10 anymore either now.

But mine is good to go now I hope. Thanks for the replies and ideas too.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat

Last edited by TsgtE662; 07-31-2004 at 03:21 PM.
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
GMC Jim

BB Heat Stoves

here are pics of heat stove for big blocks.... seems like this should not be too difficult to construct,,,, using stainless steel or aluminum sheet metal and attach with brackets from aluminum angle,,,,,
Old 07-31-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Harold Shepard

GMC JIM as I had posted earlier, I gave making one a shot, and I got it close, but getting the curves correct and the funny bump located where the tube goes in is a job for a full on press of which I don't have access to. The part is pretty simple actually and I am surprised that someone has not started reproducing them.... HINT HINT.... I think there are enough people looking to buy some of these....