The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

minor chassis swap "left over" issues - help

I swapped my '68 GMC's body onto a '72 C10 chassis I had. This was so that I can do a complete build on the '68's chassis while still using the truck, and enjoying the upgrades the new chassis offered over the old one. The swap went well except for a few minor problems....which I could use the help (and expertise) from the folks around here to resolve.

One is the throttle linkage. I upgraded from the '68's rod type to the '72(or maybe 86?) cable linkage I had, using Putter's thread as a guide. Unfortunately I lost the pedal side end of the cable and had to fabricate a temp. solution. Where do I get one of those plastic cable ends that retains the cable end at the pedal? Also, due to where I cut the hole in the firewall and the fact that the towers (6 cyl?) have the SBC mounted in the farthest back possible position (barely room for the dist.)...the cable's too long. Is the 4x4 throttle cable shorter then the 4x2 cable? And if so, what is the overall length of the cable (or difference)?
My fan shroud is also too short. If my towers are in the rear mounting holes on the frame, is that the production 4x4 SBC mounting location? So I would need a 4x4 fan shroud?

Also, I have a leaking master cylinder (rusty/cover) that doesn't seem to work as well now, as when the '72 was parked for the swap. I kept the system closed during the swap but without a cab, the poorly supported m/c slightly bent the lines and the m/c was at about a 30* tilt, but after remounting the line's look OK. I've checked out the entire brake system (and bled the fronts) but don't seem to be getting much braking from the discs. I'd rather not upgrade to power brakes (for cosmetic reason's) unless I have to...and wondered if I were to replace my master cylinder ('72 C10 non-power disc/drum) with reasonable performance in mind...what would it be? A 60's Corvette style m/c? Or aftermarket? I'm trying to keep the cost down on everything that relates to the '72 chassis (which is what my trucks body is on) so I can put my money in the '68 LSX/chassis build...but don't want to sacrifice saftey with what I'm going to be driving until its finished either.

Thanks!

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Re: minor chassis swap "left over" issues - help

Master cyclinder,
You went from 4 wheel drum to front disc and rear drum. You need a new master cylinder for disc brakes. You can buy brass cable keeper's at your local hardware store. As for the cable just cut it to length and attach with the brass end fitting.
Something like this.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Thanks for your reply. The master cylinder is the one that was with the '72 chassis, so it's a disc/drum setup with the prop. valve underneath. So I've got the right setup...just not getting any better then drum/drum braking from it, though it should.

As far as the cable end that solves one problem, but the cable has mounts for the firewall and the throttle linkage plate. These are fixed leaving a large bend in the cable between these points (visual-inch worm). Not sure how I'd shorten it in the center.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 01-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

If my memory serves me right I bought one for a mid 80's camero to use on the 71. It was shorter than the truck one the gromets still weren't correct but they were close.
The brakes may need bleeding and redone if it sat for awhile mositure is there worse enemy.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote