The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Spot1984

NHRA Rules For Roll Cage

I need to know what the rules are for Roll Cages in our trucks. I was reading the NHRA book and they stated that we don't need back braces? I hope to run around 10.20's. Thanks Guys
Spot1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Boostedbowtie

Re: NHRA Rules For Roll Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot1984 View Post
I was reading the NHRA book and they stated that we don't need back braces? I hope to run around 10.20's. Thanks Guys
can you tell me what page of the rule book , or where your talking about ?

Just curious because I thought a 4 point needs rear bars . If it was a cage then I think the rules state that bars need to exit the drivers compartment . I've seen some pass by having them exit through the front into the engine compartment off of the pillar bars .
Boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
noonzor

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=439090

good read for cage info.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot1984 View Post
I need to know what the rules are for Roll Cages in our trucks. I was reading the NHRA book and they stated that we don't need back braces? I hope to run around 10.20's. Thanks Guys
You don't need the rearward bars if you build the cage according to the roadster spec, which will end up being similar to my funny car/altered cage and driver compartment.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I did get my book. I have only one issue and that is running under a 9.99 other than that I am good. I spoke with them on a few ways to do the cage and I refuse to cut this cab up to run a cage. Maybe something else though

Vin is correct however that does not lend itself for normal use. It is a option though.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
noonzor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
You don't need the rearward bars if you build the cage according to the roadster spec, which will end up being similar to my funny car/altered cage and driver compartment.

sick.. so jealous.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=360622
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Boostedbowtie

I was always against having the bars out the rear . I ran with a hoop and two door bars until it went 9.99 , and then I was told not to come back . lol
My truck is mostly street and I run T&T and rentals but never an NHRA event . So anyway , I had to add to the door bars and hoop that was already there . It doesnt even bother me at all having the cage . Its so easy to get in and out .

A few pics of how it was done . There are a couple things that are not legal , but Like I said , no NHRA events , so its good for a street truck . The door bars are right at the elbow but low enough to slide in and out . I've never used the swing outs . The dash bar is low because of having A/C , but isn't really necessary . Just there for something extra .

Any way .......pics .

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Boosted bowtie . Looks really clean through the rear window like that , is it tinted lexan ? The cover and anti roll bar are nice and a plus . That would pass tech at both of our tracks , but everything changes at 9.99 . They will give you some room , but eventually they will make you upgrade .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I agree very clean.. But as stated you break the 9.99 mark and it changes. Really I agree its about safety.. I can't recall who posted a You tube video but at this 1/8 run there where several close calls on cross ups and two very hard hits.. Myself do not think I would have even bothered to make a pass ..
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Boostedbowtie

Thanks . From what I understand , the way the pillar bars come down and connect with the door bars might be illegal . And the door bars are right at the elbow , not above like it should be . Other than that I dont see anything wrong with it . The " dash" bar isnt even required .

In the first couple pics you can see it only had the hoop and door bars . Orlando let me run there until it went 9.99 , then they made me do the rest . It was starting to get fast and I was feeling unsafe anyway . Its going 9.30s now and I'm starting to get that same feeling again . Its not really the speed , its more the weight . Its weird , but the weight makes you feel safe because of how stable it is , but I know its just the opposite if its not rubber side down .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
Boosted bowtie . Looks really clean through the rear window like that , is it tinted lexan ?

Thanks . In these pics the lexan is just painted flat black on the inside . But they are tinted now with the stuff you buy at Home Depot .