The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2002, 05:55 AM   #1
Jefe

3 speed on column to Muncie 4 speed..

Few questions...what would be involved in switching a 3spd on the column to a muncie 4 speed? ('68 chevy swb with a one piece drive shaft, 350 small block) Can I use the same bellhousing? Same crossmember? if not where would I find the right one?

Reason I am asking is that suddenly (on the way to a car show no less) when I push in the clutch and am still in gear it makes a grinding/rubbing noise every once and awhile...yet in gear it drives fine...and if I shift it a little faster than normal I can avoid the noise. So I am thinking it is just the clutch...but I am tired of the 3 speed. So.... also.. I have never taken just the tranny out...is there an easier way to replace the clutch parts without pulling the motor?

Thanks guys!!
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:18 PM   #2
Jefe

ttt
Old 08-03-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
Jefe

Seriously...has anyone done this or know anything about it?
Old 08-03-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Dave67

no biggie

Let's see, first, measure the trans to make sure they'e the same length. it's been so long, I can't remember if I used the same bellhousing, but I think I did, (that was before going to an auto). That's right, because I know I still used the old side mounts on the bellhouseing instead of a crossmember.
Loosen the side mount bolts, then put a floor jack under the tail housing, and lift just a little, enough to be able to remove the bolts from the mounts. Then, you need to support the engine. I've actually used a wood block and a jack stand under the oil pan without any problem. You might also need to loosen the exaust to avoid any bending/ breaking. When you have all the weight off the mounts, (and pull out the floorjack), you can pull the 4 trans to bellhousing bolts, slide the trans back, then remove the 6(?) bellhousing to block bolts.
When you slap it all back togather, you might need someone to stomp in the clutch to get the trans to go in the last inch or so.
Hope this helps.
dlwelman@bellatlantic, if I wasn't clear on anything....
Dave
13 Silverado crew cab
08 Trailblazer (wife's)

Pittsburgh, PA
Dave67 is offline   Reply With Quote