The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
moregrip

Where to buy repro parts?

I think it's unrealistic to think everything I'll need to replace on the truck will be available NOS at reasonable prices.....so......who sells the best repro parts? Are there USA made repro? Are they better than foreign made?

The places I know of are:

Brothers
LMC
Classic Parts
Truck Shop

Maybe it's best to hit the junkyards for used parts to refurbish? experiences?

Thanks for the help
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Sodak

Re: Where to buy repro parts?

Alright good question here ,
This truck NOW is mostly repop parts ,only the hood drivers rearfender and bed header are left of original parts ,it was one big and i mean big PITA to get it together and most hole line up some are over an inch apart,now i didn't buy for a show truck just a dd and hunter ,but if i new how much i'd be cusing like an angry sailer ,i'd probubly have spent the extra diff in price for nos, and that differance around here is huge.$90 for repop fender $400 for nos.But one thing that does not change and that's ,i'd do it either way again .i loved tearing into this.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I like to buy stuff off our site vendors capt Kaos sells good stuff

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
Alright good question here ,
This truck NOW is mostly repop parts ,only the hood drivers rearfender and bed header are left of original parts ,it was one big and i mean big PITA to get it together and most hole line up some are over an inch apart,now i didn't buy for a show truck just a dd and hunter ,but if i new how much i'd be cusing like an angry sailer ,i'd probubly have spent the extra diff in price for nos, and that differance around here is huge.$90 for repop fender $400 for nos.But one thing that does not change and that's ,i'd do it either way again .i loved tearing into this.
looks great! What repro parts did you go with?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
I like to buy stuff off our site vendors capt Kaos sells good stuff
Thats part of my point, what is the "good stuff"? Anyone know?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
moregrip

found this:

http://www.gmparts-legendarylines.com/licensee_list.pdf
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Sodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
looks great! What repro parts did you go with?
All my repo parts are from lmc,Not bad just don't expect to put in every bolt.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
moregrip

Quote:
All my repo parts are from lmc,Not bad just don't expect to put in every bolt.
from what I can see body lines look pretty consistent......wonder if there's a difference when you fit repro to repro vs repro to stock
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Sodak

Quote:
from what I can see body lines look pretty consistent......wonder if there's a difference when you fit repro to repro vs repro to stock
It was accually worse repo to repo,take the bed for example.the driverside bed panel and the header are original the fender for that side is an oem piece but not original to the truck the step is original. now i had no problems bolting all together except for the step out of the five bolts i got four and the fith was more than an inch off.
Now the passanger side is all repo ,And i had to enlarge all the hole on the bed to fender and the step to fender as well as the step to bed bolts and i was able to get all but two bolts in.not bad ...but not easy either that side took more than 4 hours to put together. my point to you is if you can use oem do so,just for the frustration factor alone. would i do it again .....YES
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
ECU PIRATE

Try Certi Fit if you have one close by
Posted via Mobile Device
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
thesickc10

lmc metal is junk. my buddies hood shakes like cheap fibeglass and i can almost crush his tailgate with my hands.

1979 camaro 358 super t10

2003 f250 superchip slp exhaust
thesickc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
moregrip

Quote:
It was accually worse repo to repo,take the bed for example.the driverside bed panel and the header are original the fender for that side is an oem piece but not original to the truck the step is original. now i had no problems bolting all together except for the step out of the five bolts i got four and the fith was more than an inch off.
Now the passanger side is all repo ,And i had to enlarge all the hole on the bed to fender and the step to fender as well as the step to bed bolts and i was able to get all but two bolts in.not bad ...but not easy either that side took more than 4 hours to put together. my point to you is if you can use oem do so,just for the frustration factor alone. would i do it again .....YES
good info, thank you
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
moregrip

I was able to locate a NOS passenger front fender so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it:

Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
That is exactly why I went to so much effort to drive to Georgia to pick up my rust free stepside bed. OEM is the best!
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
wraprail

Quote:
I think it's unrealistic to think everything I'll need to replace on the truck will be available NOS at reasonable prices.....so......who sells the best repro parts? Are there USA made repro? Are they better than foreign made?

The places I know of are:

Brothers
LMC
Classic Parts
Truck Shop

Maybe it's best to hit the junkyards for used parts to refurbish? experiences?

Thanks for the help

I just ordered both front fenders, hood, both doors and a rear bumper from Tuckers Classic Parts (https://www.tuckersparts.com/)
They are local to me so I saved shipping charges which is expensive on body parts.
I should get all the parts next week and will let you know how it fits. I do know it's all made in CHINA
Just throwing it out as another option....

Last edited by wraprail; 12-07-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: I have a 85 SWB C10...forgot to mention
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
I just ordered both front fenders, hood, both doors and a rear bumper from Tuckers Classic Parts (https://www.tuckersparts.com/)
They are local to me so I saved shipping charges which is expensive on body parts.
I should get all the parts next week and will let you know how it fits. I do know it's all made in CHINA
Just throwing it out as another option....
I'm in for the results. The more info the better as far as I'm concerned!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
csa daddy

Top bannana
Posted via Mobile Device
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
cory d

i have heard good things about goodmark. over seas stuff will make you rip your hair out
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Skunksmash

Quote:
If that's the whole list, its a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I figured GM would want to make more money than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesickc10 View Post
lmc metal is junk. my buddies hood shakes like cheap fibeglass and i can almost crush his tailgate with my hands.
Yeah my friend had that exact same tailgate. Junk. Although, it makes me wonder why someone wouldn't just go to the junkyard and refurbish some OEM parts off some old vehicle. Those tailgates aren't everywhere, but they can be found. I'd rather fix a couple dents than have a flimsy truck. Just imo
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
If that's the whole list, its a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I figured GM would want to make more money than that.

Yeah my friend had that exact same tailgate. Junk. Although, it makes me wonder why someone wouldn't just go to the junkyard and refurbish some OEM parts off some old vehicle. Those tailgates aren't everywhere, but they can be found. I'd rather fix a couple dents than have a flimsy truck. Just imo
Depending on what else I may or may not need I do plan on visiting a few salvage lots to see whats available in my area......will report what I find!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
moregrip

another question........anyone know or have experience with Dynacorn? I drive by them everyday going home from work and their online catalog shows repro parts for 73-87 trucks.....found this on their website but I have no idea if those specs translate into their non body shell parts.....or even how those numbers compare to the stock numbers.

"The steel used in our body shell program is 1006 universal automotive grade steel coated with special Galvanization to protect against rust.. In most cases the gauge will be thicker than that of the original.

Thickness of steel increased:
Trunk floor 0.8 to 1.0 m/m
Rocker panel 1.6 to 2.0 m/m
Rocker Panel Inner Brace 3.0 m/m
Rear frame rails 1.6 to 2.3 m/m
Firewall & torque bar 1.0 to 1.2 m/m"
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #22
Skunksmash

http://www.dynacorn.com/newparts.html

Looks like they're just getting started. They only carry about 12 parts in total for these trucks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
moregrip

Quote:
http://www.dynacorn.com/newparts.html

Looks like they're just getting started. They only carry about 12 parts in total for these trucks.
yeah for sure.....just trying to wrap my brain around the actual quality of parts out there.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
Skunksmash

If you pass by it every day... I'd just stop in there and ask to see the part you're looking for. I wish I got to do that on half the stuff I ordered. Mess around with it a bit, see if its up to your standards. Better yet, since you're going to be doing it anyway, pull the old part and take it with you for comparison. If its an OEM piece that is. That's what I'd do. I'm always bringing old parts to places if I can.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
moregrip

Quote:
If you pass by it every day... I'd just stop in there and ask to see the part you're looking for. I wish I got to do that on half the stuff I ordered. Mess around with it a bit, see if its up to your standards. Better yet, since you're going to be doing it anyway, pull the old part and take it with you for comparison. If its an OEM piece that is. That's what I'd do. I'm always bringing old parts to places if I can.
As funny as it might sound, I never thought to do that.... Add that to my 2013 list!