The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
50 Chevy LS3

Vortec 6.0 detectives?

Just purchased a 6.0 Vortec engine from a salvage yard. The yard owner said it was pulled from a Cadillac Escalade, from another yard and swapped to him for a Corvette project of his own. He decided to go with a alum. block 5.3, so, this is the reason I got it. Engine is complete except for starter, alt., and acc. pedal. Engine wiring harness is there but, not very good.
To confirm it is a LQ9, we bore-scoped a cylinder, and it has flat top pistons.
The junk yard guy said he did not know miles, or year, but thought 2003.
It has the 317 heads, and I plan on pulling them for a re-work and also checking the rods and mains. Here is a picture of the pcm serial number.
Name:  100_5030.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  58.2 KB
Here's the questions:
1. Does the computer numbers tell anything about the engine or year of mfg.?
2. Is this computer a good choice for re-programming?
3. Does anyone have a good recipe for budget 400HP LQ9? Will have to use block-hugger headers.
4. Without a vehicle VIN or year, is it going to be hard to get the correct acc. pedal?
I'm sure there will be more questions, but, hope you all can answer these first.
Thanks.
50 Chevy LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:34 AM   #2
scottybaccus

Re: Vortec 6.0 detectives?

If it came with an LS, it's worth using. Best when paired with the engine and trans types that it was original to.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Steve, I recommend studying Brendan Patton's awesome website www.LT1Swap.com

He has tons of info that is helpful- Here is his link to identification tips

http://lt1swap.com/identify_vortec_engine.htm

On another page you will see his info on DBW compatibility on what works and what does not.

According to your pic of your PCM, the series number is a 2003 year run. You'll see that on the lt1swap ID page. Also on the DBW page you'll see which pedals and TAC (throttle actuator control) you will need.

I am prepping a 2003 DBW harness today and I can send pics of those DBW components and their model numbers if you would like. Shoot me a PM if I can help that way.

Education is the best use of your time in the LS game. Im sure there are other great sites as well for more info. HTH Chuck
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
50 Chevy LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
If it came with an LS, it's worth using. Best when paired with the engine and trans types that it was original to.
Thanks, Scotty, but, this engine is intended for a '50 Chevy pickup. No trans. was available, so, I'm thinking I'll try to find a 4L65E. Or, better, a 4L80E.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
50 Chevy LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
Steve, I recommend studying Brendan Patton's awesome website www.LT1Swap.com

He has tons of info that is helpful- Here is his link to identification tips

http://lt1swap.com/identify_vortec_engine.htm

On another page you will see his info on DBW compatibility on what works and what does not.

According to your pic of your PCM, the series number is a 2003 year run. You'll see that on the lt1swap ID page. Also on the DBW page you'll see which pedals and TAC (throttle actuator control) you will need.

I am prepping a 2003 DBW harness today and I can send pics of those DBW components and their model numbers if you would like. Shoot me a PM if I can help that way.

Education is the best use of your time in the LS game. Im sure there are other great sites as well for more info. HTH Chuck
OK, THANKS, Chuck. That website you gave me confirmed a 2003 LQ9. Now I have to decide what to do with it. The harness is pretty bad, darn junkmen appeared to try to unplug some of it and then just cut some of it. Lost all the seals for the injector plugs, left the main trans. plug, but, cut the smaller branches (veh. speed sensor?). I really need to study what to do. I don't really want to convert to carb., wanted to avoid a pricey F.A.S.T. controller. That may be what I end up with, along with the EZ TCI. Anyway, the engine was cheap, so, if it looks ok inside, I might decide to spend what I need to get it going and maybe a cam, pushrod, spring, upgrade.
This is why those $1500-$2500 ebay "drop-outs" scare me.
Thanks, again, and if you or anyone else has a wonderful recipe for budget power, fire away, I'm all ears.
Budget is a relative term, I'm thinking $2000-$2500 if possible. That would make me a fairly low buck hot rod. Then, I would KNOW what I have, rather than the ebay engines.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
dec010974

hello 50 Chevy LS3. if you think that you have the ability to do the harness yourself, id say go for it. its not that hard. I can post pictures of mine when I get a chance. just to get an idea of what you have, take the harness and plug up the harness to the engine and see what pieces are missing. most of the connectors can bought on the net/web and added to the harness. trust me , its easier than you think. as a stand alone harness, all it needs is ground, ignition power, 12v+ constant power, reprogrammed pcm, and all the needed connectors plugged up and you are on the road. I bought a stock DBC harness off ebay, plugged, up all the connectors such as map sensors, MAF sensor, IAC, Injectors etc, added power and ground, and the LQ4 runs great. Of course you need fuel, tranny, tires and some other stuff but I'm sure you get the general idea. my harness has all the original wires. I didn't remove any wires. its bulky, but I only paid $67 for the harness. good luck. pm me if you need any help. ill help best I can. Clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
50 Chevy LS3

Thanks, Clark, you guys are generous in your offers to help.
I think, if I get time tomorrow, I'll get it on a engine stand and strip off the harness and see what I have. I'll take a bunch of pictures and post them so you guys can see it.
I know I need a TAC module, and pedal assm., I have the intake piping and MAF sensor. One coil is broken, and part of the plastic engine cover is missing, but, the intake manifold looks OK.

I'll try to post a bunch of pics...
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
Here's the questions:
2. Is this computer a good choice for re-programming?

For most purposes, its fine. If you use any of the tuning programs, you can see the Year, VIN, and mileage of the ECM from in its files..this will confirm any questions you have. GM used that basic ECM for most the LS powered vehicles from 02-06. It can be programmed using HP Tuners, EFI Live, or a few other smaller Tuning suites or flash tuners.

3. Does anyone have a good recipe for budget 400HP LQ9? Will have to use block-hugger headers.

*See in main post

4. Without a vehicle VIN or year, is it going to be hard to get the correct acc. pedal?

Knowing its from a truck from 03-06, you should be good with the metal-stalk truck pedal, and its matching TAC.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but, hope you all can answer these first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Chevy LS3 View Post
The harness is pretty bad, darn junkmen appeared to try to unplug some of it and then just cut some of it.
Getting a custom harness from one of the 30+ companies making them will run around 450-650, depending. Thats not cheap, but you start with a clean, all new harness which is setup just for your project. You also get things like a new fuse panel etc that cleans up the connections. Having a harness reworked is 300-450, but if your harness is pretty bad, they may not want to rework it.

Depending what trans you run, there will be different VSS wiring. You won't need to run a controller though, as the ECM you have can run the 60/65/80 as long as the tune is setup for it.

[/quote]

I have some answers in bold above for ya.

As for getting to 400hp;
With an LQ9, 400hp isn't too hard. (did you want 400chp or 400rwhp?)
A cam swap with pushrods and springs, and a tune, will get you near 400chp with a good tuner...even with cast manifolds or shorty headers. The cam/valve stuff is around $500, and a tune is ~$350.

You can go further in terms of performance, but for a budget swap, I'd consider using extra budget to get a good stall convertor with whatever trans you choose. It'll make you feel faster, run faster 1/4, be stronger, and it's a good thing to buy to match the cam. They can be expensive, from 450-1200 however.

I'm tired of typing for now, but if you got more questions, let me know.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote