The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
BreathnFumes

Question Edelbrock Performer Carb help?

Hey guys, new to the forum.
While I'm working on getting pics, I could use some help. I have a 1966 Chevy Fleetside C10 w/ a 350SB & TH350 combo. I recently installed an Edelbrock Performer series intake manifold and carburetor. It didn't run right at first so I put the recomended adapter plate in from Edelbrock. It ran great for about 20 miles and then wouldn't stay running for longer than 15 seconds. I would appreciate any advice from you guys, thanks in advance!
BreathnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: Edelbrock Performer Carb help?

Hey man..first off welcome from San Jose !!

Hows your fuel delivery ??

Is there crap in the lines ??

Assuming all is good, and there are no vacuum leaks ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
BreathnFumes

I have yet to put a gauge on the vacuum, however i did check the line going to the tranny (i believe) and there was plenty. There is some build up in my inline filter just before the carb but i dont think its enough to clog it. Then again, I may be wrong! BTW, thanks for the welcoming.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
daverod
SSN 706

Even with the adapter plate you might need a thick type gasket. Make sure the carb is sealing on the manifold. Don't tighten it down to much. I seems to me that without the thick type 1/4" gasket it looks like its seals but there is a part on the carb that sets down alittle and hits the manifold. Spray some carb cleaner around the carb went it's running to see if it's leaking. Make sure its getting gas. The filter on the carb could be clogged. If the trucks been setting for some time the filter in the tank could be clogged. Welcome
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
BreathnFumes

I didn't know there was a filter in the tank... I'll check that as well as the carb cleaner. thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
daverod
SSN 706

Just pull the gas line off the carb and crank it over if gas comes out then its getting gas. If not then check your filters.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
71stub

My Edelbrock had one of the floats rubbing on the housing of the carb causing it to stick and flood out. The carb had never been apart so I don't know why this even happened but I just tweaked the float back into place and it has worked fine since. How come with an Edelbrock carb and intake you still need a spacer???

1967 Custom Short Fleet - 327/4spd
71stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
BreathnFumes

I guess another way to make money. The part was only 7 bucks but i had to wait 3 days to get it. (im not a patient person)
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
fdbdw

A few things to check, Im speaking from experiance cause Ive dealt with all three, check your floats mine were off right out of the box, check your fuel pressure, performers dont like anything over 6.5 (5-6 is optimal) alot of guys use pressure regulators, I went with a performer fuel pump and am happy with that, also if you have anything in your tank that is making it through the filter it can stick your needles open, good luck
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
BreathnFumes

Hopefully I'll get home before dark and check all this out, thanks for all your help guys, I'll get back to you soon.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
fdbdw

Also forgot to mention that you can use a rag and a pair of locking plyers to pinch of the fuel line between the pump and carb then start it up and let it run till it dies once it dies take a tool and softly tap all around the back of the carb ( this could dislodge anything thats sticking) then release the plyers and start it back up, I keep a pair of plyers in my clove box incase it happens when Im out. All that being said I would lean towards the fuel pressure, my stock pump was putting out 8-10psi
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
terd ferguson

Make sure the unused vacuum ports are plugged on the new carb.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
BreathnFumes

Okay, so what should my stock psi be? the stocker looks brand new. Also, what gauge do I need to measure this? (slightly ignorant)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
fdbdw

the edelbrock manual has good instructions, if you dont have one you can get it online, i think its 7/16 from the end of the float to the base while holding it upside down and 15/16 to 1" while holding it upright, good catch on plugging the unused vaccum ports also, there are three in the front, timmed port bottom left (your left while looking at it), full vaccum bottom right and pcv port in the middle, there is also a large port in the back middle, which I believe is for power brakes, if its not being used make sure you plug it
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I don't know about where you are located in California, But here in Idaho We have to re -jet for elevation and altitude. Read the book that comes with it,pretty basic stuff.
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Bennydog

Check your fuel filter and pull the sending unit out of the tank. Check the filter on the pickup and the very bottom of the sending unit isnt gunked up and not sucking in enough fuel, happened to me!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
BreathnFumes

Okay. I pulled the fuel hose @ the carb inlet and turned the key. ive seen more pressure out of a toy squirt gun... plus there is dirt in my new carburetor. im thinking maybe a clogged line?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I don't know if they installed them on 1966 Chevys, but my 1960 GMC came stock with a cartridge style fuel filter mounted on the passenger side frame rail under the drivers door. The tank feed runs directly to the filter before heading off to the pump. You might check to see if you have one.

If you do, the replacement filter cartridge from Napa is part number 3271. They will retain a ton of crud before they plug up.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '63-'66 trucks do not have that cartridge filter on the frame rail. A good inline filter, or an aftermarket cartridge filter would do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I don't know if they installed them on 1966 Chevys, but my 1960 GMC came stock with a cartridge style fuel filter mounted on the passenger side frame rail under the drivers door. The tank feed runs directly to the filter before heading off to the pump. You might check to see if you have one.

If you do, the replacement filter cartridge from Napa is part number 3271. They will retain a ton of crud before they plug up.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #20
BreathnFumes

Hey guys, I had a metal and glass filter in-line w/ the fuel line just before the carb. I put a cheaper Fram filter on and it started. It even ran... however it seems to be thirsting for fuel. I know the carb is only a 500cfm but it just doesn't wanna go. goin around corners when you get back on the accelorator it dies. I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to drain my freshly filled gas tank and replace the outlet filter. I think there is one...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #21
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

you said you pulled the line at the carb and had no pressure, was that upstream (pump side) or downstream (carb) side of the filter? If you pull the line upstream of the filter, is the pressure still weak? The rubber line (under the cab) that connects the tank down tube to the main fuel line could be swelled shut internally or cracked and sucking air.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #22
BreathnFumes

I took the fuel line off of the carb and put a pressure gauge on it both before and after the inline filter. they were both @ 6-7 psi. If in neutral it revs just fine, its just when I'm driving in gear that it seems to thurst for more fuel. maybe that could be what you are describing, "fleetsidelarry?"
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

'Fumes, I meant to say "flow" (as in volume) rather than pressure, if it's sucking air someplace, it might have pressure but not enough volume. Just thought that you might want to try replacing that short section of line before you go to the trouble of draining and getting into the tank.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
BreathnFumes

hmm... that would be awesome if that were it. how do i replace that line w/ all of that gas in the tank/lines?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathnFumes View Post
hmm... that would be awesome if that were it. how do i replace that line w/ all of that gas in the tank/lines?
Oh, man, I knew you were going to ask (just kidding! ) I'll tell you how I did it, other's may have a better way.

You WILL spill some gas(oline) but not too much if you're ready,
-use a pair of vise grips (or whatever) to pinch the old line closed,
-have your new line ready to go with clamps,
-temporarily plug one end of the new line with a bolt or something,
-remove one end of the old line (I did the pump end first) and block the flow from the metal line with your thumb, some gas will come out of the old rubber line, not much
-slip the new line on and tighten the clamp.
at this point there shouldn't be any gas flowing as the old line is blocked with visegrips and the new one with a bolt.
-pull the other end of the old rubber line and again quickly block the flow from the tank with a thumb,
-pull the bolt from the new line (sounds trickier than it is), use your other thumb to stop the flow, and
position the line (get your thumbs as close as possible, this is where you'll probably spill the most), and put the new line on the tank tube and clamp it up

Really not as hard as it sounds if you reherse it in your mind, and are ready.
Did this make any sense?