The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2024, 06:37 PM   #1
BrianTom

Issues wityh 66 I6 starting

Hello,

My 66 C10 with an inline 6 (250, maybe) will crank, but it won't start. It sat for 10+years because of a fuel issue. I've replaced all the fuel lines, the fuel pump (old on was pumping gas into the crank case), and rebuilt the card. I also replaced the coil, spar plugs, and have a new battery. I testing the #1 spark plug wire with a volt meter and it seems like it's getting voltage and while cranking the voltage spikes up and drops as I'd expect.

I've tried to start it, but it seems like it's not doing much on anything it cranks, but its doesn't seem like it's trying to actually start. I can't tell if the it's cranking too slow or maybe timing is off? Blow is a link to the truck cranking...it's a short video, but there are no changes to the sound the last several times I've tried to start it after trouble shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUrfUo0mn8

Any constructive thoughts are welcome.

-Brian
BrianTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:04 PM   #2
shp4man

Re: Issues wityh 66 I6 starting

The engine needs good fuel and strong spark at the right time and compression to start. Yank a plug, turn over the engine with plug body grounded..blue spark? If yes, did someone put the distributor in wrong? Plugs wet? Oil fouled?
Does the gas smell wrong/weird?
Choke open? Close it to start the engine.
Does it crank evenly?
Old 04-08-2024, 03:24 PM   #3
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Did you try the Mortske flick on the points? Carb getting gas? Number one on the distributer pointed at #1 spark plug? I would concur on everything shp4man added.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 05:10 PM   #4
ACK

When the I6 in the truck doesn't want to start after sitting for a good bit, a hefty squirt of starter fluid always does the job. If that doesn't work, in addition to the above suggestions, double check the firing order of the spark plug wires, make sure the points are good, and if you have an HEI, they can go bad right out of the box. Under long shots, if it's an HEI, make sure the resistor wire has been replaced. Good luck and let us know how this works out.