The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2023, 12:28 PM   #1
jmlloar

Radiator support swap.

On to my next step.
got my frame preped and mounts installed.
now in order to save fab time and parts availability, I am using the 55 to 57 chevy rad support and radiator in my 55 gmc project.
Anyone know what else needs to be changed? I know this is basically what the Canadian gmc came with. along with the chevy engine.
I'm keeping the gmc hood and mustache.
I know 57 chevy fenders are same as the 55-57 gmc except for the emblem holes.
And my hood is same as the 55 and 56 chevy with the additional hole for the hood grill.
Just looking to know what other stuff I need.

Does someone have the chevy front sheetmetal diagram? Or where can I get the chevy parts book? I have the gmc parts book.
jmlloar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Radiator support swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlloar View Post
On to my next step.
got my frame preped and mounts installed.
now in order to save fab time and parts availability, I am using the 55 to 57 chevy rad support and radiator in my 55 gmc project.
Anyone know what else needs to be changed? I know this is basically what the Canadian gmc came with. along with the chevy engine.
I'm keeping the gmc hood and mustache.
I know 57 chevy fenders are same as the 55-57 gmc except for the emblem holes.
And my hood is same as the 55 and 56 chevy with the additional hole for the hood grill.
Just looking to know what other stuff I need.

Does someone have the chevy front sheetmetal diagram? Or where can I get the chevy parts book? I have the gmc parts book.

i think this came up before on here i will try to find the thread (it may have even been your question!) but I believe the 55.2 gmc used the 47-55.1 core support hoop and two-bolt to center frame mounting of the 47-55.1, the picture is burned in my memory.

whether it still had the same wider/frame end mounting of the chevies on there, I dont remember, but it seems to me if it were mine I would just hang it and see what i needed to make. I will try to find the picture I am talking about, maybe the frame ends will show you.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 09:13 PM   #3
jmlloar

the support on the gmc looks similar to the 47 to 55.1 but all the little stuff is definitely different.
Some of my gmc only stuff is shot, so I will just go with the chevy support.
The chevy radiator is half the price of the gmc one.
and to use the gmc one I would have to remove the 1980 front cross brace and fab a custom one up. since the chevy support sits on top of frame rails it clears fine with no mods.

Radiator support is mounted now so I just need a few of the other stuff.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2023, 07:17 AM   #4
57tailgater

Spun it around for you.
Attached Images

57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #5
dsraven

my Canadian 57 gmc has a chevy rad support
front fenders also have a dimple in the front around the grille hole where the mustache ends bolt on
hood latch is a little different as well. nothing you can't figure out. I am going to use the latch system off a newer truck with a cable release anyway
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:02 AM   #6
jmlloar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
front fenders also have a dimple in the front around the grille hole where the mustache ends bolt on
hood latch is a little different as well. nothing you can't figure out. I am going to use the latch system off a newer truck with a cable release anyway
The dimple used on 57 chevy grill is the same one on 55 to 57 gmc. Thinking the side fender emblem holes are different.

On hood latch, since hood interchange as a bolt on swap, I would figure all that I would need is the latch support. the latch itself is another question.
Probably a lower valance from 55 56 chevy.
Thats why I was hoping for a parts diagram of the chevy front sheetmetal. Then I could see all the little stuff and where they go.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
dsraven

try this for a free download. it shows how the chevy front end goes together, as well as the whole rest of the truck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...hgNerbXG4oM_J-
Old 05-25-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
jmlloar

Exactly what I needed.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #9
jmlloar

rad installed, had to remove frame brace anyway. support clears it but rad does not. Will fab something up under the support to strengthen the frame.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #10
jmlloar

anyone have a 5.3 installed to compare where the waterpump sets. As is looks like engine will have to move back an inch or 2.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #11
dsraven

Good idea. A bolt on would work.
How much space between the fan and engine now?
Old 06-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #12
dsraven

Moving engine back is likely what will work best but it might also be into your firewall. I had a new Chevy rad support for mine but ended up giving it to another enthusiast and built my own. I built it to allow the rad to sit forward through the rad support which allows for more space between engine and rad. A set of dual electric fans may also help your space issue as the motors for the fans wouldn't be in the same space as the water pump shaft possibly
Old 06-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #13
dsraven

You might wanna mock up the cab and front sheet metal just to see how it all fits up and what kind of space you have left.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:57 PM   #14
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlloar View Post
anyone have a 5.3 installed to compare where the waterpump sets. As is looks like engine will have to move back an inch or 2.
If you have the inch or two to give, then that's always ideal to move that engine weight further behind your front wheels..as far and as low as your build allows!

Your fan brackets make this more difficult, but if you can lower your radiator by drilling new mounting holes, you can move the water pump snout away from the center of the fan and gain clearance that way.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:36 PM   #15
jmlloar

Quote:
but what pieces are gmc and what pieces are chevy to get the mustache to work?
Old 06-06-2023, 10:52 PM   #16
jmlloar

Quote:
You might wanna mock up the cab and front sheet metal just to see how it all fits up and what kind of space you have left.
Already had cab on. pleanty of room to move engine back.
Using EZ swap mounts and 1980 truck frame. With that said I think engine sets lower than it would in stock frame.

I would love to mock front sheetmetal but I don't have any. only parts I have are rad suport, hood, and cab. Have to buy one piece at a time. the original sheetmetal was beyond repair. set from mid 80's under some trees. one about the size of a soda bottle grew up between the rad support and bumper. the bumper guards and center piece were flimsy as aluminum foil. pulled cab off without unbolting it. mounts stayed on frame.

I've come a long way but still long way to go.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:02 AM   #17
dsraven

kinda sounds like mine was but it ran and drove. actually, it started with a boost at -30C and drove up onto the Uhaul trailer---no brakes but it drove up there. lol.
the 57 is unique to thay year in that the opening for the grill-chev or gmc-is a little biggert than the previous years. the gmc mustache bolts on across the top and then the fenders have a small indent in them where the side pieces bolt on and wrap around the sides and they cover the holes where the chevy signal light would go. I have the stuff but the truck is buried behind several projects and the grille and mustache parts are in boxes someplace otherwise I would take some pics and send you in an email.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #18
dsraven

do you have the factory assembly manual? it is great for dimensional drawings so you get the mounts etc all in the correct places.
my floor and sides were rusted up to the lower hinge pockets. I usedthe firewall and floor from the frame donor vehicle, a gmc envoy.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #19
jmlloar

I have the chevy assembly manual, and the gmc parts manual. but would like to find chevy parts manual. also cant find any info on the Canadian gmc parts. the Canadian model gmc is basically what I need as far as front end parts since they were chevy's with gmc hood and grill and still used the chevy support.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:00 PM   #20
dsraven

mine is a 57 so a different grille set up than the 55. not surw about the hood latch etc.
are you stumped on something particular? maybe I can give a little insight if I know what the particular question is.
like I mentioned, the 57 fenders are slightly different as to how the grille opening fits the grille surround parts. the gmc has a dimple in the grille surround area of the fender where the mustache part fits as well. I have a pic of that somewhere. it would be something you could probably make work if you come accross a set of chevy fenders for cheap. there is also a hole in the fender around the side where the end of the mustache bolts on as well. if you are buying new fenders get the gmc ones and they should work
Old 06-11-2023, 05:47 PM   #21
jmlloar

I still think the 57 chevy fenders should be what I need. they have the same dimple that gmc uses. Would have to double check but iirc 55 to 57 gmc use the same fenders. if something is different on the 57 its grill specific. The gmc fenders even have the chevy light holes in them under the mustache trim. The big question is mounting the center mustache piece to filler panel. Doubt there is any difference on the way latch sets either since 55 and 56 hood is bolt on swap with 57.

Keep in mind I am talking gmc and have not done much research on chevy of same years. Thats what I'm trying to do now.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:48 PM   #22
jmlloar

Quote:
if you are buying new fenders get the gmc ones and they should work
never seen gmc specific fenders listed anywhere.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #23
jmlloar

engine moved back 1 inch
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2023, 06:44 PM   #24
dsraven

here are a couple pics showing the GMC fender and the Chevy fender, both for 57 I believe as they were on my truck when I got it. the mustache obviously didn't fit properly with the chevy fender because it didn't have the bump on the grill opening
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #25
dsraven

here is a couple shots of the front with my home made rad support that allows the rad (2004 envoy) to protrude through the opening. it also shows the brackets on each side that retain the upper grille bar and hood latch as well as how the inner fenders fit to the rad support. there is a filler panel at the bottom that fills the gap between the bumper and the rad support too. obviously I had to remake that panel as it was pretty far gone.
hope that helps
Attached Images