The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2023, 03:12 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Steering box slop

Recently, I rebuilt the OEM steering box on my 1953 3100. After the rebuild, I cut the steering column to fit an Ididit column and have completed the reinstall of the steering box and the Ididit column. Today, I finished the project (or so I thought) by mounting the steering wheel that came with the truck (see photo below). However, I noticed that I have nearly 1/4 of a turn of the wheel in slop. That is before the column attempts to move the wheels in either direction. This seems like a lot of play to me and was wondering 1) what is causing this problem, 2) how to remedy it, and/or 3)what steering box alternatives should I consider?

Name:  IMG_3954.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  56.4 KB Name:  IMG_3969.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  65.7 KB

EDIT #1: Has anyone used an off the shelf manual (not power steering) box to replace the stock one? I see several universal fit manual steering boxes on Speedway and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with one of these.

EDIT #2: If anyone has the OEM steering box that they taken off their truck in favor of a power steering unit and they are open to getting rid/selling it, send me a PM and/or a photo of the unit.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."

Last edited by TX3100Guy; 05-21-2023 at 04:24 PM.
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:38 PM   #2
TX3100Guy

Re: Steering box slop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
Recently, I rebuilt the OEM steering box on my 1953 3100. After the rebuild, I cut the steering column to fit an Ididit column and have completed the reinstall of the steering box and the Ididit column. Today, I finished the project (or so I thought) by mounting the steering wheel that came with the truck (see photo below). However, I noticed that I have nearly 1/4 of a turn of the wheel in slop. That is before the column attempts to move the wheels in either direction. This seems like a lot of play to me and was wondering 1) what is causing this problem, 2) how to remedy it, and/or 3)what steering box alternatives should I consider?

Attachment 2271418 Attachment 2271434

EDIT #1: Has anyone used an off the shelf manual (not power steering) box to replace the stock one? I see several universal fit manual steering boxes on Speedway and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with one of these.

EDIT #2: If anyone has the OEM steering box that they taken off their truck in favor of a power steering unit and they are open to getting rid/selling it, send me a PM and/or a photo of the unit.
I believe I have self resolved this problem. A buddy told me to look for an an adjustment screw with a jam nut on the back side of the steering box (towards to exhaust manifold side) and sure enough after loosening the jam nut and tightening the threaded screw with a flat bladed screw driver, I was able to remove all the steering slop/play.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:10 PM   #3
dsraven

the gears in the box are cut with a slight taper and are also made to fit just a bit tighter in the middle position where the linkage is supposed to be set up when driving straight ahead. this is so you don't have to mind the wheel so much when going straight down tyhe road. it is important to adjust the steering box with the box sitting in the centered position because otherwise, if adjusted fairly tight when off center, the gears can get too tight in the centered position. loosening the lock nut and turning the screw inward pushes one gear into the other through the tapered face on the gear that is attached to the pitman arm. before adjusting it is a good idea to check the pitman shaft for play in the output bushing of th box. play here will not allow a proper adjustment. some of these old boxes have not been adjusted in many miles so the shaft may have a worn spot where the bushing rides as well as where the seal rides and there is likely matching wear on the bushing. I usually grab the pitman shaft and wiggle it up and down and side to side to check how much play there is before doing the adjustment.
another thing to check is the lube level in the box. it's a great time to change the lube.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:20 PM   #4
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
the gears in the box are cut with a slight taper and are also made to fit just a bit tighter in the middle position where the linkage is supposed to be set up when driving straight ahead. this is so you don't have to mind the wheel so much when going straight down tyhe road. it is important to adjust the steering box with the box sitting in the centered position because otherwise, if adjusted fairly tight when off center, the gears can get too tight in the centered position. loosening the lock nut and turning the screw inward pushes one gear into the other through the tapered face on the gear that is attached to the pitman arm. before adjusting it is a good idea to check the pitman shaft for play in the output bushing of th box. play here will not allow a proper adjustment. some of these old boxes have not been adjusted in many miles so the shaft may have a worn spot where the bushing rides as well as where the seal rides and there is likely matching wear on the bushing. I usually grab the pitman shaft and wiggle it up and down and side to side to check how much play there is before doing the adjustment.
another thing to check is the lube level in the box. it's a great time to change the lube.
Thank you for the good info. Luckily when I serviced the steering box with new gaskets and bearings, I found very little wiggle or play with the Pitman arm. I did however make a mistake with too thin of an oil in the box and much of it has already leaked out from the bottom threaded fitting and jam nut. What is the appropriate oil/grease to use in this steering box?

Last edited by TX3100Guy; 05-21-2023 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:50 PM   #5
dsraven

80/90 gear oil seems to ring a bell. A copper washer under the jam nut on the adjuster would possibly help stop that leak. Some pipe thread sealer on the cleaned adjuster bolt threads may also help.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:43 PM   #6
mr48chev

A lot of guys run John Deere Corn head grease in their steering boxes. Especially the ones that leak 80/90 https://www.rdoequipment.com/product...PerformanceMax

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:33 AM   #7
rustycars63

have stock steering column and gear box not using located in Ruidoso n
New Mexico john Bryant 817 368 4941
rustycars63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #8
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycars63 View Post