The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
B_Hix

New Guy - 1st post

Hi everyone - I won't fib and say I have been lurking here - I belong to several forums, but just today I realized none of them were related to my old truck, so I set about to find what I thought would be the best one out there in terms of content and activty - well here I am

About me

I retired from the Army in 2003, settling down in central Missouri. After arriving here, buying our home and getting settled in the wife (love that woman) suggested I should get a project car - my last one had to be sold before a military move to Germany.

Well I had never done a truck, and never done a Chevy, so after some hunting I found my '49 3100 in Illinois. It was an abandoned project that had been clipped with a firebird front end, and updated to a 12 volt system - also had a 350/350 combo in it - hardly ran, and there was more rust than metal, but thats where I started.

I have owned it since 2002 and I took it down to an empty cab on a frame in 2004. It's been a long haul since then, but it will be done this spring - after 7 years of being spread all over the garage and shed, it's coming together - the motor was started for the first time last Saturday, 1/12/12.

As stated, it has a 74 firebird front end, so PS, disc brakes, a 10-bolt rear end, and a fresh 350 that should have about 300 rw/hp, but won't be dyno'ed till this summer. I have added power windows, power locks, sliding rear window, fiberglass running boards, new rear fenders and a pro's pick bed kit. The wife stained the bed wood for me

Glad to be a part of the community and I look forward to 'meeting' you all, trading stories n stuff! In the first pic you can see my other project, a 67 Mercury - please do't run me off - I'm here to talk Chevy

Obviously I like red and black =) This 49 is the first vehicle I ever painted myself, top to bottom - quite a learning experience and a LOT...LOT of wet sanding. The garage is under the house - place smelled like a body shop for a week...The wife was accomodating, but not real happy!

B_Hix is offline   Reply With Quote