The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
andsonsvd

Help with upgrades

Hi All,

I have a 1958 Apache 3100. It is a car that was "restored" in the US and then brought to Australia. It is a nice original style car with just above average paint job. It still runs the standard 6 cyl with 3 on the tree Manual Gearbox.

I am wanting to update the truck, and i'm trying to decide to keep it a standard build or rodded. I would like nice wheels and a big V8 engine but I don't want to waste a nice original type truck.

As I am 6ft7 I struggle a little driving with the standard tank so that is one of the changes I am going to make.

The current instruments don't work well so i'm interested in a Tach Force Cluster calibrated for KPH.

I would like to add a disc brake front end but i'm concerned that if I want to go a V8 in the future will I need to update the original front end to a IFS type?

As Parts are hard to get in Australia for the old 6 cyl i'm thinking a 283 V8 or 350 V8 Auto will be a good upgrade for the future. Can someone please explain the process to upgrade to a 283 (or 350)/T350(or T400). If i Did that upgrade would the standard front end still be ok? i'm not looking for huge horsepower.

Thanks in advance..

Shane
Attached Images

1937 Chev Rod - LS1/4L60E
1949 Chevy 4400 Dually - 235ci/4L60E
1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside SBC/T400
andsonsvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: Help with upgrades

Welcome.
Looks like a real nice truck.
Personally I have no problems with people changing these things to suit their own tastes.
I would definitely go to a V8.
If the original front suspension is in good shape and you're happy with the ride it should handle a small block just fine. If you want to go to an independent front suspension there are plenty of kits or you can do a clip from a Camaro.
You can also get disc brake kits to go on them.
Kim
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
andsonsvd

Hey Thanks for the reply Kim.

The reason I would want to keep the front end besides originality is that here in Australia it will cost about 6-7 thousand to get a ifs fitted, Camaro clips are not easy to get here and when you do they are expensive.

SVD

Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

An upgrade to a small block wouldn't interfere with the frontend, however there would be tranny issues. I think I would swap out the rearend with a 10 or 12 bolt. You would still maintain a stock/original look and could upgrade your brakes as well.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Barney Rubble

welcome Shane, nice original 58 there. Good luck with the transformation.
Scott
Barney Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
andsonsvd

thanks everyone, the problem is in Australia parts are harder to get. If I upgraded to a v8 and a turbo 350/400 gear box what do I need to change in the car? I assume the drive shaft and diff?

Thanks

Shane

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
1959 Apache 3600

Great looking truck Shane. Sure is sharp!
I can't answer your questions, but will be watching this thread to see what kind of replies you get.
1959 Apache 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
OrrieG

These trucks originally came with a V-8 that is about the same weight as the six. If you can get an original V8 bellhousing with the side mounts than the engine drops in. Manual manual transmission drops in, you would need a V8 z bar and clutch rod. Manual transmission would be your choice, I would upgrade to a 5 or 6 speed; drive line will probably need to be modified. If you are not going to run it hard the stock rear end will work.

If you go with a auto transmission things get a little more interesting. My thread shows a 350/350 combo with the original tranny cross member in place. It is tight and you need to make a two piece inspection cover. You can remove the cross brace but it acts as a brace for the rear front spring shackles so I would put something back in to maintain the frame alignment in that area. With a auto you would definately have to add a rear cross member (easy to do) and modify the drive line. Over here you can still buy complete camaros, etc. and get the engine, tranny, driveline and rearend in one package. If you want to replace the rearend, you just need to pay attention to the width, mounting flanges for the leaf springs are easy to do.

From previous post I know that frontend mods are expensive in AU. You can get disc brake and dropped spindle set ups for the stock beam axle. You can also get dropped axles. You can also upgrade to power steering. I would also change out the master cylinder for a dual type with proportioning valve.

Decide what you want to do and make it your truck. If you have the room you can keep all the stock stuff and give it to the next owner if they want to convert back; that is what I am doing with my 64 Chevelle.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote