The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
b.sharp

Question Front end questions ??

Anyone used a mid '80s cross member that bolts into the frame. I've been trying to come up with a cheaper version than an IFS (Mustang II) and not have to cut my frame up. I can get a front end off a '85 and bolt it in but not sure of the stance or the track. Has anyone put one of these in a 55-59 truck? Any pics out there if this has been done?

Thanks for the help.
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
71/454
Turbo Guy

Re: Front end questions ??

I am presently doing it in a 50 panel. I do have some pics if that helps you. Dave

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

I have heard that a mid 70's AMC Pacer front end will fit almost
perfect, all you need to do is drill the holes. I have never checked,
but it would cost alot less if it worked. One draw back would be
that there are not alot of them in compared to Chevy sub-frames,
and M-2's, so local parts stores may not carry replacement parts
in stock, order only.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
b.sharp

71/454,

I would like to see the pics. Please post them here or I can send you my e-mail account and you can e-mail me directly. I'm sure others would like to see the pics also, if you could upload them to this site.

Thanks,
B.Sharp
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
buds56

i thought this was a good article, hope it helps http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=264&SID=60
buds56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds56 View Post
i thought this was a good article, hope it helps http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=264&SID=60
thanks for the compelement buds56. I wrote it and if anyone needs more specific details on it let me know. I have a lot of pictures that had to be left out of that tech page
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
71/454
Turbo Guy

Sorry for the late reply I have been out of town. PM me your email and I will send you some pics. I skimmed the web rodder article briefly and have realized it is nothing the same as doing it in an AD truck but I am happy to email some pics if you like. I'm a little shy about posting my finishing work now because it did not turn out exactly like I thought. I read 4 maybe five different articles about this swap and none were very detailed other than saying measure measure measure when drilling the new mounting holes. Mine is actually a 1 ton panel so maybe that is the difference but I did have some problems when mounting the steering box and idler arm. The frames are very different and when I tried to bolt up the box and stuff the steering linkage would not clear the frame, so I ended up moving some stuff and making it fit, I measured everything but it is not in it's original locations. And I have to do a little welding to make brackets to bolt up the steering box for two bolts because the frame tapers so much that 2 mounting bolts sit above and below the frame. The largest thing that I did'nt like was that the frame is flat on the bottom except for right underneath where the crossmember bolts up and then it starts to angle down to get to the bumper. If you own a truck like this have a look you'll understand what I mean. Because of this the crossmember does not sit flat, it stradles the angle so it seems to sit tilted back a bit. This makes the anti dive angle alot more aggresive. This way is alot better than tilting forward of course but I'm not sure on how the truck will drive. Most opinions are that it will be fine after an alignment and it's no racecar anyway. Sorry for being so long winded I just kinda got typing. My goal was to keep it on the cheap, and there is no doubt it is easy, it's my first one, but if I could do it all over again I think I would do a camaro clip or an S-10 frame swap mostly because lowering it is limited and spindles are expensive. A camaro clip makes it already lowered as does an s-10. I hope this helps someone. Dave

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote