The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
jsera

My First C10

Hi guys I just bought my first C10 a few days ago and I'm really excited to get to work on it. Its a 72 stepside with a 307 and a four speed on the floor. I was hoping to get some advice from people who know more about these trucks than I do before I start emptying my savings. Here are some pics of my "new" truck.

The guy I bought it from owns a body shop and is doing all the rust repair on the cab and front end but it looks like it needs a whole new bed and fenders since its got a lot of rust holes(hard to tell in the pics). Ive been able to find three stepside beds for the 73+ models near me for 350-450 (and i believe all thats different is the fenders right?)

Im looking to lower the truck with spindles and rear springs 2-1/2 and 4 inches and Ive read mixed reviews on whether or not id need to notch the frame (id rather not).

Also looking to upgrade to power steering and brakes by swapping in the later models steering box and master cylinder/booster combo to make it more driveable and possibly f-body rear disks (which if anyone knows how the ebrake on these would hook up to the stock cables id be very grateful.

Any advice is welcome, I've been doing a lot of reading on here to learn how to tackle my gameplan for this build.
Attached Images

jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: My First C10

Welcome from North Carolina. You won't need to notch the frame with a 4 inch rear drop. I would go with a complete kit from ECE (personal preference and a board supporter). You can use the 73-87 power steering setup but you will need to change the outer tie rods to fit your spindles. The later GM power steering boxes and pumps have metric fittings so make sure you get a complete setup from the donar truck. You can also use the power brake setup for the 72 model, the later models have a different boster.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
jsera

I was under the impression i could just swap the steering box out and add a power steering pump. Guess ill have to do some more reading.
Appreciate the advice
Old 10-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

You can swap on ps boxes from 69-87, but from early 80's on the fittings are metric. Not a big deal as you can swap the fitting out of the back of the pumps to match. No need for custom lines. Does the truck still have the factory short water pump or has it been changed to the lwp set up? Post a wtb ad on the parts board either way, but be sure the pump set up matches whichever wp set up you have (swp ps pumps do not mate with lwp and vice versa)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
jsera

Thanks for the tip, Im not sure about the water pump but ill keep that in mind when i get the ps pump. Dont know if you can tell by looking, but i have a video of the engine bay i took day 1 when i got it(also sounds cammed to me):https://fbcdn-video-i-a.akamaihd.net...32218c0cd8553e
Old 10-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
WIDESIDE72

If the back side of the water pump is touching or nearly touching the timing cover you have a short pump. If there is room to fit your finger it is a long pump. If you do not have the correct pulleys for ps, be sure to get a matched set for whichever water pump style you have.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
jsera

I'll be sure to check it out when I pick up the truck this coming weekend. By chance any clue whether the p/s pump brackets from a 78 corvette (350 sbc) would work, I happen to have the whole accessory drive for that car in my garage
Old 10-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
ole dollor

that's a good looking starter truck. make it safe and have some fun...and welcome to the forum from Texas..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #9
Blown06

Nice truck, welcome aboard.
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote