The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Slemmy

Bought my first classic Chevy truck... I think?

So...

I bought my first classic chevy truck. I can go into the romance of how I first saw her on the side of the road and knew she was going to be mine and yadda, yadda, yadda. But for brevity's sake I'm going to get straight to the point.

She is titled as a 1969 Chevy. She has a 396 engine in her. She's got a long bed. I'm trying to decode the vin, but the VIN plate and VIN number format doesn't match anything I'm reading online for 67-72 chevy trucks. Here is the VIN:

KE134Z111XXX
All numbers are actual minus the last three that have been substituted with Xs. I've attached a photo.

Here is the site I am trying to use to decode:

http://outintheshop.com/vin_decode.html

This VIN format doesn't work with ANY of the formats given. The closest would be the 70-71 GMC VIN DECODER, but there is a "1" on my vin that would need to be an "I" (to indicate 1971) according to this site. So now I feel like I'm going crazy. The steering wheel on the truck is a GMC and the door VIN tag says GMC Truck and Coach, not Chevrolet AND General Motors Company as I've seen on here.

Did I buy A GMC that's in disguise as a chevy? Everything on the truck is '69 Chevy (c/20 badges, '69 front grill and markers, etc.)

Can this VIN be decoded? I love this truck and I'd like to get her restored to her assembly-line-self. But I'm afraid I'll never know what that was!

Help!
Attached Images

Slemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #2
AKC

Re: Bought my first classic Chevy truck... I think?

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new (to you) truck!

I'm no expert, there are others here better than me.

Here's a decoder from Paul's...

And here's one for the '70 & '71's;

Kinda looks like it's actually a '71.

Good luck with the build! Let's see some pics of that puppy!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Chknlyps2

Yes, it looks like a 71 GMC by that chart. Is it 4x4? The K in the beginning is for 4 wheel drive. Does the VIN on your title match the VIN on the cab tag? The frame should also have the VIN stamped on it on the top web just above the steering box.
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
SS Tim

That VIN (and probably the cab) are for a V8 1971 GMC 1500 (1/2 ton) 4x4 with a wideside (fleetside) bed. Assembled at the Fremont, CA plant.
Engine specifics and wheelbase are indeterminate from the VIN.

See the decoders linked in my signature below.

Does the glovebox door have the option sticker (SPID)?

Does the VIN plate match the number on the title?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Slemmy

Wow. I knew I came to the right place! Pics of the truck attached.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I have to say that I am a bit relieved because I at least know what my truck is. However I can't also help but feel bad about being duped. Not sure I would have bought it knowing it was a GMC. For me it doesn't have quite the same panache. Not to mention the difference in $ value of a GMC and the same truck from Chevy. The question now becomes should I sell the truck for what I have in to it and buy a chevy or should I restore her to her old GMC self. As far as I can tell its all cosmetic changes like the headlights, grill, tailgate, etc.

So, to answer a few questions:

1. Yes it is a 4x4, or was. The front diff has been removed and there is a plate with rivets on the front floor board.

2. The option sticker has been removed some time ago.

3. Titled as a 1969 Chevy but the VIN matches the GMC VIN on the door VIN tag.

The 396 engine that I thought it had - I know it is a big block because of the 8 bolts on the head covers. However since I know now that this is a '71 GMC K1500 I believe they only offered a 402 (bored over 396). Is there any way to match the number of the engine to the frame? Any way to identify a 396 from a 402?

Thanks for all of your help!
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
SS Tim

At this point you still haven't convinced me the truck was a 4x4.
Again it could very well be a GMC cab on another frame.

Its a lot of work to convert a 4x4 to 4x2 and would be apparent to someone who knew what to look for. Probably the first thing to do is see what the frame VIN (partial) reads. My guess is it won't match the titled VIN.

You can't rebuild a truck without the SPID especially in this case.

The engine were not VIN coded in trucks until 73. So if you engine has a code its a car engine or a later truck engine.
To start the ID process on the block you will need to locate and present the engine assembly code on the right front engine deck, forward of the head (if its still there) along with the casting number and date on the rear of the block by the distributor.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Slemmy

I'll check the frame VIN. Can you help me understand where that is? Chknlyps2 mentioned it would be on the "top web above the steering box"?

I've included pics of the plate in the floor. Also the truck has 8 lug wheels, which I believe are specific to 4x4s. Seems silly to put a 4x4 cab on a non 4x4 frame but then go through the trouble of adding 8 lug wheels?
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
AKC

I say leave it a Chevy. It most likely got a new cab sometime in it's life, not uncommon these days.

It looks pretty good overall, if your happy with it I say run the wheels off it.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
BrianG

It was either a 4x4 or a big block truck, or neither originally. It would not have been a big block 4x4. I say, if you like it, just keep it and drive it. As long as you can register it and pass any necessary inspections with mismatched title and vin. What does the vin on the title say? if its different than the cab, then that may be a little bit bigger of an issue. If not, you have a nice GMC that has been made to look like a Chevy. Just as lots of Camaro's are made to look like SS cars, etc. send is a pic of the front suspension also.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

8 lug is 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. 4X4 all had 6 lugs. 4X4 never had a big block.

Partial VIN is stamped on the drivers side frame near the steering box. Take a wire brush or same sandpaper to clean the top rail down to bare metal.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
MJN

8 lug could be had with 2wd (C/20) and 4x4 (k/20) 3/4 tons and 2wd 1-tons. Not all 4x4's were 6-lug, only 1/2 ton were and depending on the year some 2wd 1/2 ton trucks were 6-lug as well.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
AKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slemmy View Post
Wow. I knew I came to the right place!

3. Titled as a 1969 Chevy but the VIN matches the GMC VIN on the door VIN tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
As long as you can register it and pass any necessary inspections with mismatched title and vin. What does the vin on the title say? if its different than the cab, then that may be a little bit bigger of an issue.
Not a problem for the OP.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
Slemmy

Based on all of the very helpful information you have given me I am inclined to believe that my truck is a (1969?) CHEVY bog block truck, non-4x4 with the cab (and corresponding door VIN tag) from a 1972 GMC K1500. Ive attached pics of the front and rear suspension.

I'm going to check the frame VINs as soon as I have the time to get some elbow grease in there. I'm also going to see about IDing the block based on SS Tim's info.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but how (aside from the # of lugs and VIN designation can I tell if it is a 1/2, 3/4, ton or 1 ton?

Thanks for all the help!!!
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Drive it and enjoy it.
A 3/4 ton with a 396 would be a good truck to have.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #15
harpo231

so does the frame match
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #16
Slemmy

Frame # is correct for a '69 Chevy C20 (what the truck is).

-Cab and door tag vin are from a '71 GMC
-Title matches the door tag VIN (not the frame VIN) but its titled as a '69 Chevy Truck.

"Annie" - '69 Chevy C10 396
"Louise" - '65 Chevy C10 6 Banger
"Victoria" - '65 Mustang Notchback
"Haley" - '62 Mercury Comet S-22
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #17
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I've seen where trucks have been in crashes, like a rollover, and a new cab was installed. The body shop should have made the paper work right, but sometimes they don't. I am not claiming that your truck went through this process, but things happen during the lifetime of a truck that make finding out the details a little troublesome. I don't personally see that the GMC "actual" manufacturing entity makes your truck worth any less than it being the "prestigious" Chevy vintage. I think that the only major difference besides trim between the two is that one has 4 headlights, and the other has 2. I worked at the Van Nuys Assembly plant for awhile, and I can tell you for sure that I couldn't tell an El Camino from a GMC Sprint, coming down the assembly line. Of course, I was working in an area before the body went on. It is only the badges, and some different colors, in the end.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Frame # is correct for a '69 Chevy C20 (what the truck is).

-Cab and door tag vin are from a '71 GMC
-Title matches the door tag VIN (not the frame VIN) but its titled as a '69 Chevy Truck.
Had to read that a few times to see it's titled as a Chevy with a GMC VIN. I've read DMV title's "mystery trucks" per the vin plate, but perhaps it can be done by the frame. Call and ask.

I'm curious about your frame stamp. My 71 only has the year (1), factory (Z) and serial number. Is your different? You mentioned above the C20 was indicated by the stamp.

If you pursue a title correction and the entire VIN isn't apparent on that frame, then best of luck explaining to them why/how you're able to fill in the blanks. Maybe they'll listen and understand. Maybe they won't and/or can't do it.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #19
Slemmy

Hmmm. Last time I checked the frame VIN was about a year and a half ago. Maybe I am mis-remembering. It may have only been the year code - back. Does that sound right?

I think I may just keep it as is and sell it the way it is titled and be honest with the buyer. Not sure which would be less appealing as a buyer: Having a legally titled '69 Chevy with a GMC VIN, or a title for a '69 Chevy with a VIN issued by the state.

Cheers,

Erik

"Annie" - '69 Chevy C10 396
"Louise" - '65 Chevy C10 6 Banger
"Victoria" - '65 Mustang Notchback
"Haley" - '62 Mercury Comet S-22
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #20
Mike C

Every state is different. But in Texas, both titles are supposed to be taken to DMV when combining two vehicles. Then a new title is issued with a brand new state assigned VIN number.

This removes both too the original titles from circulation and provides a combined chassis/body title for the new combination.

My ‘64 Corvette has a state reassigned VIN because it had a ‘66 frame swapped in the correct, legal way in the ‘70’s.

I would explain what I knew when I was selling it and let the buyer make the decision about whether to proceed or not.

Without the frame title I don’t see how you are able to do anything different. But each state is different...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
demian5

Quote:
Hmmm. Last time I checked the frame VIN was about a year and a half ago. Maybe I am mis-remembering. It may have only been the year code - back. Does that sound right?

I think I may just keep it as is and sell it the way it is titled and be honest with the buyer. Not sure which would be less appealing as a buyer: Having a legally titled '69 Chevy with a GMC VIN, or a title for a '69 Chevy with a VIN issued by the state.

Cheers,

Erik
You are totally overthinking it.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:

Cheers,

Erik
My 71 frame stamp: Just the year, factory and serial #:
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #23
harpo231

Ya , you got a mess there,, I wouldn't buy it [no offense] sounds like a headache....

If the numbers match, title/ vin and door tag ,description dont matter really...
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 AM   #24
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Ya , you got a mess there,, I wouldn't buy it [no offense] sounds like a headache....

If the numbers match, title/ vin and door tag ,description dont matter really...
Just Because it’s had a cab swap?? I would take a cab swap over a chopped frame any day of the week. Not saying chopped frames are bad if done right. If I didn’t do it myself, or see it done, I don’t know if was done right. A cab swap is just 4 bolts, it’s a little more difficult to screw that up. All of this is depending on local laws of course. DMV is a pain in the rear 9 times out of 10.
If it were me I’d just be honest with who ever is buying it and not worry about the dmv. They already titled it after an inspection. They must not have been too worried about it.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
NoNeck

I tried to lighten your original pictures for better reference. I hope this helps.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote