The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
calvinator

Are these original rally wheels?

In order to get my truck licesened and legal to drive, it must pass a safety inspection first. The the drum brakes that are currently on my truck will simply not pass safety. So Ive started looking for a 73-87 parts truck which I can take the front discs and rear drums off of. Therefore, switching my truck from 6 lug to 5 lug and will no longer have any need for these wheels. I plan to advertise them for sale, and when I do I'd like to know as much about them as possible. If any of you could help it'd be appreciated.
Attached Images

calvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Are these original rally wheels?

i think they are aftermarket wheels//there were no rally wheels prior to 1973 for chevy trucks
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
straitnate14

Have you tried looking at the kit's? I think it would end up being a better deal not having to do all the guess work of finding the right stuff to just get a kit. GMCpauls.com had kit I got.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
drivethechevy

i belive they are 73 up rallies but the center caps are not original to the rims if im right

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-

The wheels are not original to the '67-'72 trucks.

You need to do some more reading on this board about the swap before you try it. There is a little more to it than you are thinking. You have to change rear axles and the later original axles are longer than your '70 axles so they won't fit in your housing, etc, etc.... I'm sure there are quite a few posts about it but you will have to do a search on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-13-2008 at 09:47 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
calvinator

straightnate, did you convert from 6 lug drums to 5 lug discs? Could you show me the link of the exact kit that you bought from GMCpauls? one of my friends swapped his 6 lug for 5s and Im sure he'd give me a helping hand. Has anybody else bought a disc brake/drum brake kit for switching from 6 lug to 5?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
ratpackv8sonly

Thoes are just 1973 and up stock chevy silverado wheels. The 5 lug conversion is easy to do. If i remember right you need to use the spindels and the tie rods the go to them. In other words what ever spindels you use make sure that you take the complete steering linkage with it. For the rear axle you will need to swap the entire assembly. Be careful here as you need parts from the old one for the new one unless your truck is leaf spring in the rear.
ratpackv8sonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpackv8sonly View Post
<snip>
For the rear axle you will need to swap the entire assembly. Be careful here as you need parts from the old one for the new one unless your truck is leaf spring in the rear.
I'm not sure he can just swap the entire assembly, If I remember correctly the spring perches are farther apart on the later housings with leafs so he would have to cut them off and re-weld them farther in. If he has coils on the truck now, he would definately have to re-locate them. I may be wrong but he still needs to find some threads on it and read up. His best option on the rear might be to have the stock axles re-drilled to 5 bolt or just buy aftermarket 5 bolt axles.

Just some thoughts.... If I'm wrong on any of my ramblings don't be afraid to correct me. Don't really want any mis-information floating around.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
calvinator

I appreciate the help from all you guys. It sounds like I shouldnt buy a parts truck yet before I know what Im doing. Ill talk to my buddy who's done it to his 69 and see what route he took. I know he used parts off a truck (didnt buy a kit) And yes, my truck has coils, not leaf springs.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
ratpackv8sonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I'm not sure he can just swap the entire assembly, If I remember correctly the spring perches are farther apart on the later housings with leafs so he would have to cut them off and re-weld them farther in. If he has coils on the truck now, he would definately have to re-locate them. I may be wrong but he still needs to find some threads on it and read up. His best option on the rear might be to have the stock axles re-drilled to 5 bolt or just buy aftermarket 5 bolt axles.

Just some thoughts.... If I'm wrong on any of my ramblings don't be afraid to correct me. Don't really want any mis-information floating around.

LockDoc
You are 100% correct on the rear axle deal. The axle purch has to be cut off if he has coils in the rear and weld them on the new 5 lug axle as 1973 and up are all leaf spring. I just figured if he wanted any more info I would PM him and send pictures of mine so not to take up a whole thread.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #11
ratpackv8sonly

The front suspension on my 1969 is from a 1972 1/2 ton so I could get 5 lug and disk in the front. I used just the spindels, rotors, calipers, and the tie rods off the 1971 as they were a different size than the 1969s. The spindels fit the 69s control arms fine. I have a power steering box out of a 1978 chevy truck. For the rear end I used a 1978 Lincoln mark 5 ford 9inch with disk. It was factory 5 on 5 lug pattern so the chevy wheels fit perfect.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
straitnate14

Anyone every think of taking your axles to a machine shop and having them re-drill them for 5 lugs. If your not making a ton of power or towing anything I wouldnt worry about it. http://www.gmcpauls.com/Brakes&Steering.htm I did the 6 to 6 lugs for now so I didnt have to change wheels until I do a frame off.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

why not put new shoes on it and drive it?
Drums are good enough, just keep your distance and pay attention. Disks are nice, but no reason to NOT drive your truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You are going to spend a lot of coin to switch to disk. Whats wrong with the drums now? Pretty cheap comparatively to just rebuild what you have vs the change to disk.

I really dont get the problem with drums. It seems to me there have been billions of miles on vehicles with drum brakes over the years. Non power drums are a little less grippy, but I still wouldn't worry about it.

I guess if you're going to go racing or overload your truck, disks would be a nice upgrade. Or if you want a better selection of wheels, 5 lug and disks would be the way to go.

I sure as heck wouldn't be nervous driving a drum brake vehicle around. My 61 Lincoln Convertible land yacht had all stock drum brake system on it and that baby would toss you out the front if you smashed the pedal too hard.

LOL...thats my .02 cents worth.
CG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #15
1968SWBBigBlock

You can not make the 6 bolt pattern match with a 5x5.
I even tried 5 x 4-3/4 and 5 x 4.5 -
The holes over lap each other
Just call an aftermarket axle shop and have a new set of axles built for the rear, buy a set of 5 lug drums- easier than switching the entire rearend and near the same cost.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it can be done, a few guys on here have had it done.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
The holes over lap each other
They plug the old holes and then re-drill.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
see ten
WTB this ad

Back to the wheels.....They're 4x4 rallies. Would have been used by GM from maybe 73ish to 86 (?). They're a pretty popular swap for older 6 lug trucks and 4x4s that don't already have them. I wouldn't expect to get rich off them as they're a common wheel.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
jorgensensc

Simple solution. Front crossmembr with discs off a 73-87 chevy, (try to get the 1 1/4 rotors, heavy duty brake option JB5) should be able to get them for about 50-100 for the whole setup. almost bolts directly in, two bolt holes line up, two have to be elongated. rebuilding the frot end with brakes is cheap, if necessary. A set of brand new rear axles from moser drilled for your application 285 plus shipping. Can't beat it with a stick. Much cheaper than buying a disc kit. Also the parts are cheaper than using 71-72 parts. Just my opinion though.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #20
calvinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Simple solution. Front crossmembr with discs off a 73-87 chevy, (try to get the 1 1/4 rotors, heavy duty brake option JB5) should be able to get them for about 50-100 for the whole setup. almost bolts directly in, two bolt holes line up, two have to be elongated. rebuilding the frot end with brakes is cheap, if necessary. A set of brand new rear axles from moser drilled for your application 285 plus shipping. Can't beat it with a stick. Much cheaper than buying a disc kit. Also the parts are cheaper than using 71-72 parts. Just my opinion though.
Shawn
where do i get ahold of that rear axle from moser you're talkin bout? i bought an 84 gmc half ton for parts (front brakes) i heard the rear axle is a little longer. should i rather buy a new one from moser?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #21
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinator View Post
where do i get ahold of that rear axle from moser you're talkin bout? i bought an 84 gmc half ton for parts (front brakes) i heard the rear axle is a little longer. should i rather buy a new one from moser?
i think moser sells moser stuff
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #22
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Shawn
I am doing this for the front, BUT, and this the BIG difference, I ordered McGaughy's 6 lug rotors and kept every thing 6 lug. The McGaughy rotors fit the 1 1/4" HD brake setup. This will save you a lot of coin. The rotors are less than 1/2 the cost of axels. No new rims to buy. No new axel seals, diff seal and oil.

When getting the junkyard parts, try to get all of the frame from the bumper brackets to behind the shocks. Have the brake line unscrewed from the master cylinder. If you don't already have power brakes, get the M/C and booster including the pedal rod. Oh, the better shape the donor is in, the less replacing you will need.

KISS (keep it simple six)
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #23
jwn1975

Thumbs down inspections suck!!

I am fortunite enough to live in a state where there are no vehicle inspections. Three of the four rigs i own have drumb brakes. I would not live in a state that descriminates against older vehicles. What if thats all you can afford. I FEEL YOUR PAIN
jwn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
streetstar

Re: inspections suck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwn1975 View Post
I am fortunite enough to live in a state where there are no vehicle inspections. Three of the four rigs i own have drumb brakes. I would not live in a state that descriminates against older vehicles. What if thats all you can afford. I FEEL YOUR PAIN

thats not the issue -- the OP just needs an excuse to his wife to free up the cash for the disc conversion so he can get 5 lug wheels. At most, drums just need to be rebuilt properly to be up to safety standards, but then again so does a disc system from a 30 year old donor vehicle, as there is still a bit that can go wrong there (stuck calipers, bad P-valve, corroded lines, etc --- donor vehicles can be a PIA, especially when all the parts to do this semi-economically are in a McGaughy's, ECE or CPP catalog).

A power brake booster does wonders for a 4 wheel drum system too

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I don't see any reason why correctly operating OEM style brakes front and rear wouldn't pass inspection. I'm not sure what you want to spend, but brake swaps run into a bit of money.

Why not rebuild as needed on the front and rear, adjust, get it inspected, and drive carefully for a while? Ok, that last part isn't so easy, and the first costs a few bucks.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote