The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
slategrove

Rear-end ratio formula?

I am trying to figure out what speedometer gearing I need to get my speedometer to read correctly...I think it's 15-20 mph faster than I'm really going. I've done the searches on here, and read a lot of posts about this, but I need someone to tell me if there is a formula to figure out my rear end gearing?

For 10 revolutions of the drive shaft, I get between 5.25 and 5.5 revolutions of my tires. The two ways I could think to do this math straight up give me either a 1.90 rear end or a .525 rear end...neither of which I believe to be anywhere near correct.

PLEASE Help
slategrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Re: Rear-end ratio formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slategrove View Post
I am trying to figure out what speedometer gearing I need to get my speedometer to read correctly...I think it's 15-20 mph faster than I'm really going. I've done the searches on here, and read a lot of posts about this, but I need someone to tell me if there is a formula to figure out my rear end gearing?

For 10 revolutions of the drive shaft, I get between 5.25 and 5.5 revolutions of my tires. The two ways I could think to do this math straight up give me either a 1.90 rear end or a .525 rear end...neither of which I believe to be anywhere near correct.

PLEASE Help
Do you have a way to remove the cover? If so it should be stamped on the gear. You can always count ring gear and pinion gear teeth and divide if you have the rear cover off.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
leddzepp

Rotate your driveshaft once and count the number of times your tire makes a complete revolution. This will give you the gear ratio. I did this on mine, and my tires turned 3 3/4 turns to one turn of the driveshaft, leading me to the conclusion I have 3.73 gears.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Rooster's 67

Uh that would be near a 2.0 gear ratio, not too realistic, but not impossible. Was only one wheel spinning? You need to raise both wheels off the ground, and they must spin in the same direction at the same speed to get an accurate count.

use white-out or shoe polish to make a mark on the tires/shaft for reference.

Or jack up one wheel and count the number of revolutions of the tire in the air for one revolution of the driveshaft.

If you have both wheels in the air and can get an accurate count (posi diff or spool).

Divide the number of shaft revolutions into the wheel revs for Ratio

if only one tire in air(can only do with an open carrier, or non-posi):

Divide number of tire revs by 2
then divide shaft revolutions into that figure

For instance, one tire in air, 2 driveshaft revolution & approx. 18 revs of the tire in air.

18/2=9
9/2= 4.5 or 1:4.5 or most likely a 4.56 gear

Hope this helps.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Rooster's 67

divide the ring gear tooth count by pinion tooth count, or Tire revs by shaft revs.

without pulling cover and counting teeth, see my post above.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

If you have never had the rear end cover off this is a good time to give oyur rear end some fresh gear oil as well as count teeth to be sure. Divide ring gear teeth by pinion gear teeth. example 37 ring gear teeth divided by 9 pinion gear teeth is a ratio of 4.11
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
slategrove

The first time, I only had one tire off the ground, which I understand from the above posts is wrong with a posi rearend...

tried it again, both tires off the ground and turning the tire (both turning same direction at same speed) while watching the driveshaft revolutiuons...10 driveshaft revs = 2.6 or 2.7 tire revs

Im wondering if turning the drive shaft would produce the same results in opposite (10 wheel revs & 2.6ish driveshaft revs)???? Because above posts say 2 revs of driveshaft and 9 revs of tires

Am I correct in thinking that my rear end ration is 3.73?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

The method for a posi -vs- an open differential is different....

To check rear end ratio jack up one tire if you have an open diff, or both tires if you have a working posi or locking differential. Rotate the tire one full revolution for posis and lockers and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3 ¾ turns, you probably have a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i went thru this fiasco myself, and, in my usual anal style, i made it real complicated, drawn-out, but thourough:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=3785.0

1) Is there a sticker in your glove box or inner fenderwell---it should state what gear ration you got.

2) you can also go to your local gm dealer(preferrably chevy) and they can type in your vin# and find out what gear ratio you got---ASSuming the gear is still stock. From this, they have charts to match up whichever speedo gears go with your combo----don't forget tire size. In other words, which tires came stock on your truck and what size do you got now? This is what screwed me up.

3) i think the easiest(but not nessesarily cheapest) way is to get a GPS speedometer.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
slategrove

As usual...I'm a complete idiot!!! I ordered the driven gear from the local Chevy dealer...got it in today, and it doesn't fit. I hadn't really given my transmission a second thought...knew the pan didn't look like a TH 350, so assumed it was a TH400 (why I didn't look at the pan compared to images on the internet I don't know)......

Long story short, I think I have a THM200-R4 here are the pics, what do you guys think?

Name:  Tranny.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  Tranny1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  Tranny2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  Tranny3.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  Tranny4.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Yes, it does look like a 200r4. This is interesting; Did you notice the trans shifting at least 3 times while driving? i say 3, but it could feel like 4 if the lockup converter is working.

Don't worry---you'll get sorted out.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

200R4. It'll have "METRIC" in inch high letters stamped into the pan.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
slategrove

hounddogs!----"METRIC" is stamped in the pan, and you can make it out in a couple of the pics posted above

The PO said it was a 4 speed Transmission with overdrive, but the overdrive was disconnected. It definitely shifts 3 times (1-2, 2-3, and 3-4)...the longer I have the truck, the less I think he knew...

C-10Simplex----There is a cable (kinda looks like a spark plug boot where it plugs into the passenger side of the tranny) that is just tied off on top of the motor...would this be the lockup converter you're talking about?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
Rooster's 67

that cable is caled a T.V. cable(throttle valve). It is supposed to hook up to the carburator linkage and controls the line pressure of the transmission in relation to the throttle position. it will affect shift points, both upshifts and downshifts. there will be an electrical connection for the lock up unless the 2004-R's where mechanical lock up [scratching head trying to remember last time I worked on a 2004-R]

Last edited by Rooster's 67; 12-29-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
slategrove

I went to the local Chevy dealership, and ordered the gear that an online calculator told me I needed for my 200r4 transmisison...a 36 tooth...I didn't fit either. It has a diameter of about 1.5" while the 28 tooth I'm removing is about 1" diameter...the larger gear won't fit through the hole in the housing. Spent an hour with the parts guy at the dealership and the best he can figure out is that my 200r4 came from an 84 camaro, that's the only car in his computer that shows the 200r4 with a white (19 tooth) drive gear (none of the other cars with a 200r4 even show the white drive gear as an option). He said the 84 camaro is also the only 200r4 that shows the yellow 28 tooth driven gear (which is currently in my tranny)...this info he gave me about the white drive gear being 19 teeth doesn't match up with the info on http://chevelleengineer.home.comcast...eer/speedo.htm

????????????????????????????

I think I'll order a ratio adapter and forget any of this ever happened
Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
i went thru this fiasco myself, and, in my usual anal style, i made it real complicated, drawn-out, but thourough:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=3785.0

1) Is there a sticker in your glove box or inner fenderwell---it should state what gear ration you got.

2) you can also go to your local gm dealer(preferrably chevy) and they can type in your vin# and find out what gear ratio you got---ASSuming the gear is still stock. From this, they have charts to match up whichever speedo gears go with your combo----don't forget tire size. In other words, which tires came stock on your truck and what size do you got now? This is what screwed me up.

3) i think the easiest(but not nessesarily cheapest) way is to get a GPS speedometer.
Options 1 & 2 do not work for the 67 - 72 year models. AFAIK The SPID does not show standard gear ratios and GM did not keep records on gear ratio by VIN that far back.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 12-31-2009 at 06:57 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

duly noted.

thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
cdowns

no such tranny as a 200 r4 there is a 2004r tranny like pictured
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #19
slategrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
no such tranny as a 200 r4 there is a 2004r tranny like pictured
Sorry...please replace every "200r4" with "200-4R"
Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slategrove View Post

I think I'll order a ratio adapter and forget any of this ever happened
Good call -

that cuts through all of this "middle math" and gets right at the result...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote