The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Robbo

Anyone in DFW, TX that could look over? 51 price check?

Hello,

If this type thread isn't in the right place or allowed then I apologize in advance. Tried to search "worth" and "price check" and didn't come up with anything pointing to it being out of order.

My wife and I have looked at a 51 for sale locally. After seeing it in person, I really got the feeling that I need someone who KNOWS these things to look it over. It highlighted how much I need to learn.

Is there someone in DFW that might be available to help me by taking a ride to look this over?

My wife and I looked at it and drove it. Starts and runs well, though it's the first of this era truck I've driven so evaluating the ride, tranny etc was beyond me haha. It shifted into gear well when I could get the double clutch thing down. I killed it a couple of times at a stop sign due to not realizing I was in 3rd... and it started right back up like a sewing machine.

In the cab corners, on the inside, one corner has what looks to be some sort of fiberglass patch. The other corner feels solid to my hand, but you can see some sort of filler that has pushed through a pinhole of light opaquely (ie - it's tinted red b/c the paint has sealed the hole I guess.) showing through. Not even sure I'm describing that well haha.

As I said, once we saw/drove the truck I realized "I don't even know what I don't know" about these things haha.

Any ballpark estimates on this that you might give based on this info and just seeing these pictures? Perhaps there is more you guys can see immediately in the pictures than I can. Seller said he bought it as is and they just use it occasionally to drive it into town for lunch (ie - no long or much hwy driving). He said the PO converted it to 12v, and had recently replaced the radiator before he bought it. Vacuum wipers worked. I didn't see any significant rust on the undercarriage. A little surface rust here and there, but that was all I spotted (didn't have it on a lift...just on hands/knees looking around).

If we bought it, we would likely keep it pretty much as is and do exactly what he did with it.... occasional good weather leisurely trips to lunch/shows etc. I would probably eventually want to hook the heater back up and MAYBE if my wife loved it enough (it's really for her to drive) look at a vintage air setup.... not sure if any of that info is pertinent... but there it is anyhow...

Robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Anyone in DFW, TX that could look over? 51 price check?

I'm on the far end of the country so I'm not any help as far as checking it over goes.

Have you checked how the price compares to similar trucks in similar condition? Ebay, The online auto trader sites and any other site with this model of truck for sale.

I have to ask though, do you intend to keep the truck as is or are you planning on redoing it?
If you plan to keep it as is and just drive and enjoy it it is to me worth more than if you plan on taking it home and making changes. I can see paying a bit more if you/she like (s) the color and are good with the seat being as is. If you are planning on tearing it down right away I might be less enthusiastic.

It has a later 235 and has been converted to 12 volt which makes it a better driver but keeps it from being an 100% "restored" truck. A purest would turn up his nose but for us it makes it a better driver in the long run. And I don't think you will find a straighter truck that isn't a 100% show truck.

Negotiation factors include the heater most likely needing repair or a core replacement and there are a few things that could use a bit of attention.
No turn signals means that you will want to add those most likely.

Outside of the color and interior trim I looks almost like one I built for one of my friends 30 years ago. I'd put today's value on that one at around 8 to 10K where it sits 30 year old orange paint job and all.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm on the far end of the country so I'm not any help as far as checking it over goes.

Have you checked how the price compares to similar trucks in similar condition? Ebay, The online auto trader sites and any other site with this model of truck for sale.

I have to ask though, do you intend to keep the truck as is or are you planning on redoing it?
If you plan to keep it as is and just drive and enjoy it it is to me worth more than if you plan on taking it home and making changes. I can see paying a bit more if you/she like (s) the color and are good with the seat being as is. If you are planning on tearing it down right away I might be less enthusiastic.

It has a later 235 and has been converted to 12 volt which makes it a better driver but keeps it from being an 100% "restored" truck. A purest would turn up his nose but for us it makes it a better driver in the long run. And I don't think you will find a straighter truck that isn't a 100% show truck.

Negotiation factors include the heater most likely needing repair or a core replacement and there are a few things that could use a bit of attention.
No turn signals means that you will want to add those most likely.

Outside of the color and interior trim I looks almost like one I built for one of my friends 30 years ago. I'd put today's value on that one at around 8 to 10K where it sits 30 year old orange paint job and all.
Thanks for the information.

Good points you bring up. We would keep it pretty much as is. I think we would like to change the seat most definitely, but that would be a project for down the road... we'd be fine with it like that for the time being.

No blinkers had slipped my mind...

Here is what I would see us doing with this one ideally:

Now/Immediately:

-Add blinkers - Need to price this out.

-Add Seat belts - I'll need to price that out.... I didn't think about the fact that a car this old wouldn't have seat belts.

Before Winter:

-Hook heat back up. - Figure I'll price a new core since I can't check this one and deduct that in negotiations.

-Investigate moving gas tank to under the bed.

After that I think we'll enjoy it as is and decide about these below down the road depending on if they still seem like "must haves" or if they don't bother us as much:

Change seat cover

Investigate Vintage Air setup
Investigate Changing rear end for faster top end

I need to check ebay etc. Thanks for the idea.

Does my description of the corners sound worrisome? I gather that's the place these things rusted out so many will have problems/repairs there. Was/is there some common method of patching the corners using fiberglass? That's the only thing making me leery as of now (I admittedly need to better educate myself about this... will search and read as soon as I hit enter haha)

We're just looking for a driver to take leisurely "Sunday drives" in. Doesn't need to be a show winner or 100% correct... so it sounds like the engine is a plus for me. (along with the 12v)

It's being offered at $14k. We haven't negotiated at this time... just looked and said we'd be in touch, so I don't know how firm he is on his price. There is a 3 window not to far away, at a classic car dealer, that isn't as nice offered for $12750. (haven't spoken about negotiations with them either but I figure there's some room in that one)

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Robo,
Where is this 51 located? I would be happy to look it over. I won't have much time this next week unless it's somewhere close to East Dallas/Lake Highlands.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600 View Post
Robo,
Where is this 51 located? I would be happy to look it over. I won't have much time this next week unless it's somewhere close to East Dallas/Lake Highlands.
Hey,

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. The board started acting up. I would sign in and then it would pop back up with me signed out... weird.

Anyway, Thanks a bunch for the offer. This is located far West actually a little outside of DFW. Which is fine. We are also currently getting the house ready to go on the market so I have plenty to do as is haha.

Rob