The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
randomhero472

Couple ?? for your airbag guys

I'm trying to finalize my parts list and get the rest of my stuff ordered, have a couple quesitons:
1) how many of you are running inline water seperators? or inline oilers??
2) anyone know if a 5 gallon tank can be mounted on the frame rail (in between frame/bedisde), im planning on doing (2) 3 gallon tanks, 1 on each side, but would like to see it i could make just (1) 5 gallon tank work, also anyone know the measurement between the outside frame rail and the inside bed side on a fleetside, in-front of the rear wheel?
3) where can you buy GOOD fittings, my bro-in law works @ frieghtliner, i would think they'd have fittings, but unsure.. i know no matter how well i think i've got the fittings list when i get them here im sure i'll be needing some odd-in's, but we dont exactly have a local suicide-doors shop here in okc, thanks guys!

Last edited by randomhero472; 04-30-2007 at 06:23 PM.
randomhero472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: Couple ?? for your airbag guys

i mounted my 5 gal tank on the side of the frame rail and i'm not worried about the bed fitting around it. there should be plenty of room. you can see some pics in my build thread linked in my sig.

i have the same question as you when it comes to inline water separators and/or inline oilers.

i'm getting all of my fittings from the local frieghtliner shop too. much more convenient and cheaper than suicidedoors. also, from what i understand, the compression fittings are better to use than the ones SD has.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
randomhero472

nice ivel, also anyone have the measurments from the rear bumper bracket-tire, im trying to figure out if i'll have room to do a 5 gallon tank on the frame rail, and i have no way of measuring this stuff, my truck is @ a shop 500 miles away!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
i'm getting all of my fittings from the local frieghtliner shop too. much more convenient and cheaper than suicidedoors. also, from what i understand, the compression fittings are better to use than the ones SD has.
This is really personal preference, but from what I have gathered through my research, most people like PTC fittings vs. compression. Like I said, just personal preference. Concening the inline oiler, I have never heard of anybody using one. I dont think you want to introduce oil into your air system. Its not like the air system in your garage that you use pneumatic tools for. The water trap on the other hand is a very good idea.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

where should the water trap go in the system? between the compressor and the tank?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

yes between the tank and comp.

Brian...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
jimmydean

I say the water trap goes between the tank and valves, but that's just me it seems. More water will build up in the tank from the compression of air than will build up between the compressor and the tank from the transfer of air.

But when it's all said and done, the valves are designed for both air and fluid (most valves anyway) so getting water in them isn't a real issue.

Compression fittings are ok, but I think push connect fittings are worth it if you ever have to do anything to the system (like fix leaks and stuff). I got my fittings off ebay except for the tee fittings I got from SD with a gauge fitting on the side. I saved about $40 total on my fittings going that route.

I would say it would have been worth the extra dough to get everything from SD in the long run.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
jlaird

I've been doing a lot of reading about water traps in compressed air systems in a garage environment. In this case, it is useless to put a watertrap directly after your compressor. The air is still warm from the compressor and has not had a chance to condense. Therefore, if air is warm, there is no water, and the trap is not going to catch anything. I think this holds true for our vehicle systems too. When I get to that point, my watertraps are going after the tank.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading about water traps in compressed air systems in a garage environment. In this case, it is useless to put a watertrap directly after your compressor. ....
This is very true in that application. I had two moisture traps on my garage compresor. One right at the compressor and another 15' down the line. The first one "never" had moisture in it, and the second one always needed draining.

I'll wait for the experts to answer about using one on your truck. I don't have one on any of mine....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

it makes sense to put it after the tank. the problem there is cost. cause that means instead of running one water trap, you have to run 4.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
randomhero472

Quote:
it makes sense to put it after the tank. the problem there is cost. cause that means instead of running one water trap, you have to run 4.
EXACTLY! to me thats just more connections to have leaks, but i also dont see the use in putting a water trap 12" away from the compressor either..
Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
randomhero472

Can anyone chime in and tell me if a 5 gallon compressor will fit on the frame rail, in front of the rearend? or give me some dimensions, i realy would rather run 1 tank!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
jimmydean

Quote:
I had a single output from my tank, so I would have had one trap. I have the trap, I never installed it.

I had a single output to a tee (with tank gauge fitting). From the tee to each side of the frame, then from each side of the frame it tee'd again to each valve pair.

I had no issue with speed or air delivery. But again, the valves I was using could be used with air or water, so mixed water with air should not be an issue.

I think it's a good idea to protect your system overall and a trap after the tank would be most effective.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
bedsled71

i wouldnt run a water trap. i would just make sure your tank is positioned in a way that you can use a hole in your tank as a drain. a drain it maybe once a month or get a stainless steel one that wont rust
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote