The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
longnlow84

trans

hey yall
i just thrashed my trans and put in a 350 short shaft
but now the driveline i have will not be long enough! its 3 inches to short and the shop says they cant build one that long unless i go with a very expensive aluminum one! it is a one piece ! i have a 84 c10 longbed! is any one running a short shaft 350 and do you run a 2 piece driveline? ive been told some longbeds come with 2 piece drivelines! i just dont have a lot of cash on me for this so i need to find what my options are?
longnlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: trans

I run a two piece with a carrier bearing, dunno if that helps at all or not....

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
longnlow84

i just looked and i dont have a crossmember for a carrier bearing
Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
1lowdiesel

how long is it? cause if they can make it out of steel they shopuld be able to make it outa steel. i just had a 2 piece made for my d-max and they said that they couldn't make a 1 piece steel or alum b/c of the length.

xtremediesel.com
1lowdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
longnlow84

well i needed to make my new one 3 inches longer than my original and said they cnt cause it would be 2 long! but could out of aluminum!
they say at high speed with a shaft really long it will flex and since aluminum is lighter you have less rotating mass so they can go a bit longer! and i know all newer cars and racing cars use aluminum drive shafts! so im confused on what to do! if anyone has a 2 piece on a 84 longbed with a 350 short shaft can you please measure from the tail housing to the carrier bearing mounting hole and then from those holes to your rear end center of the u joint?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I used to have a 72 four wheel drive truck with a long bed and a four inch lift on it. That truck had a single piece drive line and I had no trouble. I can't believe that the short tailshaft and a long tailshaft tranny would make that much difference in deflection. Go a step further and hang that Gear Vendors Overdrive unit on the back of the tranny and then you will not have that length problem, and aOD to boot.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
benoit454
Chris

Before I'd spend the cash on an overdrive I'd find myself a long tailshaft th350 to put in it. I run a short tail in my monte carlo and our 84 short bed has the long tail th350.

Yours is short bed so my idea wouldn't work.

My idea was...

We had a 76 short bed that had a stock 3 on the tree and it was the same length as the short tail th350 I was going to say find a DS from one of thoose but yours being long bed, won't work, probably need the carrier bearing.

I'd hit some junkyards or parts for sale here and see if somebody can get you the right drivehsfat, one piece or two with the carrier bearing and everything you'd need to run a 2 piece.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote