The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Rokcrln

What should I do? Help me decide!

Ok I will try and keep this short but
I need to thin out my fleet and I am trying to think of the best way to go about doing that with and loose the least amount of money at the same time.

Three vehicals in question are as follows.

1) 70 Low Buck (I am keeping this one) but changing around a bit.

2) 71 Slow build SWB, body dropped, bagged, all metal has been done and it is ready to finish up. The motor combo is a 92 Vett LT1 with sanderson custom build headers, Painless RPM computer and harness, 700R4 built for 700hp from a small block with a 2300RPM converter, 12bolt with 3:73's and an Eaton Posi all new never run on the road as of yet. Custom built SS 35gal fuel tank with vette in tank pump $1300. All brand new "67-68" trim for the entire truck still in the box's. 67-68 front end with a forward tilt hood, duel electric fans from a newer camero. 17x11 with 335/35/17's out back and 17x8 (or 9"s) with new tires as well never run. 3" Drop spindles, disk brakes, power brakes and Power steering. Bucket seats out of some import that are in good shape with custom seat brackets for the truck.

3) 70 factory 2WD Blazer. 350 and a granny 4spd, runs and drives but not really drivable with out some work. I have all the replacement panels needed to end up with a clean original body.

Ok so here is what I am thinking, pull the motor and tranny out of the 71 and put in it to Low Buck (I have spent over 8K on this combo) as well as put the 67-68 front end on thier as well with all the new trim ($1600).
Then put the stock (in great shape) 71 front end back on truck. Then pull the 5lug suspention out of the 71 and put it in the 2wd blazer along with the motor out of Low Buck (new 350 carbed with a 350 auto). I would then put the 6lug stuff off the blazer on to the 71 and sell it as a body dropped roller (not sure if it would be bagged or just stock springs).

Then with the blazer I would put in the good 350/350 combo out of Low Buck along with the front and rear suspention ( minus air bags maybe) and the 17" tires and rims. I would use the front end off of Low Buck with the 67/70 hood, do all the sheet metal work and most likly paint the blazer as well and sell it as a freshly built frame off factory 2WD Blazer (with a crappy) top.

My thoughts are by doing this I would keep the more expensive drive train ouit of the 71 since I would not see that money in return when I sell it un finished. By swapping everything else over to the blazer and finishing it up I fell it would sell much faster and for more money than the truck would.

So what it comes down to is I have too many projects ( I only listed 3 out or 9), not enough room or extra money to build and keep all three of these. So by selling the 71 as a roller I would use the parts and money to finish the blazer then sell that to start to fund another project in the works.

Give me your feed back but do not ask for prices or to buy any of the vehicals as I am still in the planning stages. If you want please let me know what you think the two vehicals would be worth as I have discribed them. You have all seen my work and these would not be any less quality just because I am doing them to sell and not keep.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: What should I do? Help me decide!

PM Sent
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Boy did I luck out. I just checked with my local parts store and the Blazer tank I used is an 89 set up for TPI and the 92 LT1 in tank pump will fit the blazer sending unit All I need to do is run a return line and I will be all set up to drop the lt1 into Low Buck.

Well I will talk to you all this friday as I am leaving town for work untill then so have a great week and figure all this stuff out for me by then would ya!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Primered_69

The problem if you swapped all the stuff on project Low Buck you would make a killer truck but would negate what you were trying to show the general public with it. That you can build an awsome truck for x amount of dollars
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

WHAT? Do you have any idea how long it would take you to do all that? What is your time frame for this? Dude, you gotta sleep sometime.
I agree the most expensive item you have is sitting in slow build and it's nowhere near ready to drive out so pulling it for one of the other ones, sure.
If the Blazer drives sell it as is and just swap the engines between the other two if need be?
I guess selling off a couple of the other projects is out of the question? Bronco, etc.. you won't miss it, really..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Primered_69

How long it would take Rockcrln to do it - maybe a Day and 1/2!!! Working at a slow pace and taking a lot of breaks.

Us mere humans, 2-3 years...working a couple hours a day of pure dedication with no days off.

Remember the vehicles he builds for others in his spare time. He does not need sleep... he is Rockcln, King of Fabricators.

(Note: I am doped up on antihistimines and feeling a little goofy, please ignore the previous post. It was all meant in jest and fun)

Last edited by Primered_69; 08-27-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Primered_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
LEEVON

This is fun! My vote: keep Low Buck exactly that-low buck. That build is an inspiration to daily driver's everywhere. Keep the LT1 and goodies for the Blazer and get a good start on it with the dough from the '71 roller. You'll have two killer trucks, and then in the future if you want to go wild with Low Buck you can reinvent it. Thanks for the poll, I usually just get to dream with my own money!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
wibilly

sounds like alot of work to still not have a compleated project. imo low buck is by far the most useful and i like it the way it is. adding all that computr controaled crap just defeats the reason many of us like these simple old trucks. i think it is right at home where it is. you have 3 great vissions here, i would finish them one at a time rather than put all that effert into changing things around to still not have a finished truck
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
72armyswbtruck

It was great followin low buck build, so I say that since low buck build is finished for all intesive purposes, and your plans are to keep low buck build then do the motor swap that you were talking about. Put that killer motor in low buck since you are going to keep it anyway. The rest is up to you. All I know is that when I win the lottery your the man who is going to build my truck.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69 View Post
The problem if you swapped all the stuff on project Low Buck you would make a killer truck but would negate what you were trying to show the general public with it. That you can build an awsome truck for x amount of dollars
I hear what you are saying but short of paint Low Buck was built showing just what it took to do and that will never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
WHAT? Do you have any idea how long it would take you to do all that? What is your time frame for this? Dude, you gotta sleep sometime.
I agree the most expensive item you have is sitting in slow build and it's nowhere near ready to drive out so pulling it for one of the other ones, sure.
If the Blazer drives sell it as is and just swap the engines between the other two if need be?
I guess selling off a couple of the other projects is out of the question? Bronco, etc.. you won't miss it, really..
Well the bone stock 71 EB will be going as well. The rock crawler may go to buy about 15k in new shop tools (english wheel, power bead roller, shrinker/streachers....) I want to get way deeper into sheet metal fabrication and that means more money for tools.
Time, I can have the motor swap from Slow build to Low buck in and running in about 3-4 days with the front clip being done at the same time. Suspension from Slow build to the Blazer and back again would be about 1 maybe two weekends (roller to roller). All the sheetmetlal work on the blazer would be another 2-3 weeks ready for blocking and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered_69 View Post
How long it would take Rockcrln to do it - maybe a Day and 1/2!!! Working at a slow pace and taking a lot of breaks.

Us mere humans, 2-3 years...working a couple hours a day of pure dedication with no days off.

Remember the vehicles he builds for others in his spare time. He does not need sleep... he is Rockcln, King of Fabricators.

(Note: I am doped up on antihistimines and feeling a little goofy, please ignore the previous post. It was all meant in jest and fun)
Sounds good to me but were do I get antihistimines on an I.V. drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
It was great followin low buck build, so I say that since low buck build is finished for all intesive purposes, and your plans are to keep low buck build then do the motor swap that you were talking about. Put that killer motor in low buck since you are going to keep it anyway. The rest is up to you. All I know is that when I win the lottery your the man who is going to build my truck.
You are thinking along the same lines. Also by swapping over the LT1 and AOD I will end up with great realiablity and 20+ MPG all the while with about 360+HP. Right now Low Bucks rear end is getting new R&P 3.43's, an Eaton Posi, new axels and all new bearings and seals. It only had 3.08's and it was all just about shot.

My other thinking is both the blazer and Slow build need about the same amout of work to finish (with in 40hrs of each other) but the finished truck would still get about 30% less then for the same work in a factory 2wd blazer at least here in Cali.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 08-29-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
72armyswbtruck

Well looks like you figured out what you are going to do
Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck View Post
Well looks like you figured out what you are going to do
I think I have but lately I have been changing my mine like my son's diapers. They even start to smell the same from time to time Even I have a good idea what direction to go in you all are still a great sounding board to double check ideas! Thanks

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 08-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Sell the blazer as is. Let it be someone elses project. Swap the drivetrains in the trucks if you want that combo in low buck as your regular working truck. Slow build, will be just that, slower. Sell something else out of the 9 projects and move on.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote