The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
fastazhell

Need some advice on truck...

The deeper I have gotten into my truck the more problems I find. It has a lot of rust in the cab ( windshield frame, a-pilar, cab corners, rockers), the frame is slightly tweaked and pretty much just needs a full resto everywhere else. I have decided that this one just needs for work than I can fund and also have the facilities to perform. My HOA leaves me love notes everytime I try to work on it and I am just getting tired of it. My question is should I just junk it and gett my 200.00 for the scrap yard or try to sell it? This is not a for sale post, just looking for opinions. This thing needs a ton of work and I don't know if it would even be worth trying to sell as it sits. Just looking for some other opinions.

thanks,
russ
Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
72Levi

Re: Need some advice on truck...

Unless its a super rare truck i.e. SWB Cheyenne Super, BB, etc... truck I would sell it. Esp. with your HOA breathing down your neck, its not fun anymore. Sell the one you have on Craigslist and buy another one with less work, I bet you'll enjoy it better. Take Care.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
sameyrasmea72

I would try to sale it. Some one might need it or parts. Just be sure to point out the frame issues. JMO
Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

It's hard to know when to cut your losses. I looked at another '69 today. It's a SWB, has had '71 front end and rear end (so it's 5-lug), a built 305 with a 350 TH, and a 3.73 Posi. The truck was disassembled and scattered over the floor of a 1600sqft shop. The frame was sand-blasted and covered with 3 coats of POR-15 before it was reassembled. Floor pans, cab corners and rockers have been replaced. The body is covered with black primer. The bed is the weakest link. It has an 88-93 seat and the guage panel is new (repro). New front bumper, and new windshield/back window rubber. Doors shut nicely. Still some work to be done. They were asking $4K. I offered $3200 cash, then walked out. He followed me out of the door, as I hoped he would do. He asked for my name/number. Said he had to talk to his partner (it's a lot), but he had already said the truck was his, not the parners'.

Eight hours later, no calls. I put the money back in the bank, after three hours, thinking if he was going to call that it wouldn't be long. I talked to the guy who built it and know more about it than the owners of the lot.

Wife didn't blow a gasket when I told her I'd made an offer on another truck, but she did let me know she is jealous that I have a hobby that I spend money on and she just wants to go on a cruise.

I guess we're going on a cruise.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
big_al_71

As it was mentioned know when to cut your loses and buy one already finished....There are not many but if you look hard enough there are some great deals out there..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

When to bail on a project is a personal decision. I've seen people with the drive and chops bring a complete pile of suck back from the dead and end up with a phenomenal ride. I've also seen people scrap and part out "projects" that needed little more than a little TLC and a paint job to be super nice. It's all relative man! I learned along time ago that if I want to pursue my hobby of building classic vehicles and prefer to do the labor myself- I need to stay out of "Soccer Mom Hell" (a.k.a. Da' Burbs). If there were a HOA in my 'hood the other neighbors would have burned my place down and ran me out of the "circle of trust"!!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

What I`m hearing is you thinking how I tend to.You or I wouldn`t want to buy a truck needing so much so we figure who would?Well,don`t scrap it.Trucks like yours are sold everyday.Someone out there will want it.I wouldn`t ever lie to sell a truck,but I would let anyone who looked at it see the problems for themselves...or not.I`d present it as a truck that needs alot and you just can`t deal with it,mostly you`re taking flack from your HOA bitties...needs a good home.Offer it for better than scrap money,like at least $500 or more.It is a running driveable truck afterall.Parting is alot of work/time and you can`t do that where you live.Someone else may just want it to part out,if nothing out.
I`d rather live in a trailer park and stash my money than live with an HOA.They are usually a huge hypocritcal joke where a selct few have the power to decide which violations (or homeowners) to enforce against and which to look away from.Either way,I`ll judge what I`ll do on my property.I have enough decency to be considerate of others.But,I won`t be forced to deal with someone else`s inability to deal with the fact that not everyone chooses to live the same way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
cdowns

you'll probally see alot more money by parting it out// good place to sell parts is the webster swapmeet which starts up again in sept
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
fastazhell

Thanks for all the input...I'll be putting everything up for sale on CL and ebay this week. Did a little research and I found out who my HOA president is and funny situation they bring their vehicle to my dealership and they know I work there as a mechanic...so I think they are taking their financial frustrations out on me personally. I love my house and growing up in a very bad neighborhood it is nice in some aspects to have an HOA but in this sense, it is an annoyance.

Also, I'd consider selling my stuff here if people were interested. I have some air ride stuff and cpp trailing arms, if that might be of some intrest, I'll pay the member fee to sell it here.

thanks,
russ