The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
va72longhorn

1 ton longhorn rear

After a 3 year hiatus, I finally found a good body and paint man to finish what little bodywork I had and then spread some paint over my '72 super cheyene 1 ton Longhorn. Now the problem is I have time to think. I was looking through the threads the other day and I notice a few longhorns that some of you have put duals up under. I dont think this was a factory option, was it? What's the secret? Wider wells? Do I need to change the front rotors? I'm running what I thought was a 4:70 something rear, but Im thinking its a 4:56 now after reading what you guys are saying. Either way, I'd like to change it to a 4:10 if not a 3:73 or so. The sound of almost 3000 rpms in between fuel stops is killing me, not to mention my original 402 BB .I still plan on hauling a 2 horse gooseneck trailer with it occasionally, but I think the 402 coupled with either of them will be more than enough. Any input or words of wisdom?
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1 ton longhorn rear

Welcome from Maryland.I hope your body man works out well for you.
No factory dual wheel p/us.They are basically done two different ways,use narrow cab`n`chassis rear/wider wheelhouses/2" fender flare or dual pickup rear/use Stepside fenders made to fit.

I am not sure,but I think the front is just a matter of the spacers added to your existing hub/rotor.To get a 3.73 you`ll want a 14-bolt rear.Modifications are required at the spring saddles and the shock mounts...very minor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
va72longhorn

Thanks for the welcome! I was on a few years ago but have kinda been off the radar for awhile. This is my fifth and last project (we all say that, dont we?) so I'd like to keep it somewhat original, yet cater it to a useful ride. No better way to show one of these off than to actually use it for what it was intended for. I've been dealing with Athey's in Front Royal for years and I'm sure he's reading this. I found a guy in Northern Va that does classic rebuilds, one at a time, for people on the side. He is actually a painter for a dealer bodyshop and rents their downdraft when he needs it. I've seen some of his work and the awards that the owners have collected. Not the cheapest, but we all know that you get what you pay for most of the time. I'm kinda torn on whether or not to go dually, but Im sure I'll get nudges on the subject from both directions. I definetly need to go to a higher gear, though. my foot is way to heavy for what is in there now!
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

double check the gear... i'm pretty sure you have a 4.10 in there already
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

When it comes to the body I pay the cost to get it right.Almost doesn`t get it.The only way I save money is from knowing good top quality painters as friends.Between the reputation and being friends,quality is there...so is slow work.But,in the end I get a better deal and feel lucky for it.
There`s a guy named Danny (all I know) from Warrenton that sets up a couple spaces from me at Spring Carlisle.He`s got a one man operation and does alot of old work.He`s got some sweet cars and does great work.But,you have a good one,it sounds like.
You better watch them over the hill from you.Especially that Athey bunch.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote