The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
alberta91crew

454tbi

So, i have a 91 Crew that has a stock 454 TBI and I am wondering what i should do to make it better? Headers, Air intake? What can I do and What SHOULD i do new to TBI so i dont know what the limitations are

Thanks
alberta91crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 454tbi

Air in, air out. Start w/an Edelbrock Performer TBI intake. Freshen up the peanut port heads w/a multi angle valve job & mill the heads slightly if possible to slightly bump compression. Then add a better cam & better exhaust (headers).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
pig rig

like scotti said but if you dont want to spend the big money on heads and intake
cheep rout put an adjustable pressure regulater in the TBI and a fuel pressure gauge in so you can see what your doing. bring the pressure up on your injectors will help it atomize the fuel better.
put an MSD 6al box on it with a higher out put coil and open up the plugs to 40. and put an electric fan on it

if you go to ss454 site you'll find lots of info on the getting HP out of the TBI engines

if you want to swap out the intake dont buy the preformer Tbi you can use the std performer and then take your water donut to a machine shop and have it milled flat and it will give you a good seal that will save you a couple hundred that way

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig rig View Post
like scotti said but if you dont want to spend the big money on heads and intake
cheep rout put an adjustable pressure regulater in the TBI and a fuel pressure gauge in so you can see what your doing. bring the pressure up on your injectors will help it atomize the fuel better.
put an MSD 6al box on it with a higher out put coil and open up the plugs to 40. and put an electric fan on it

if you go to ss454 site you'll find lots of info on the getting HP out of the TBI engines

if you want to swap out the intake dont buy the preformer Tbi you can use the std performer and then take your water donut to a machine shop and have it milled flat and it will give you a good seal that will save you a couple hundred that way
What I didn't like about the standard cast-iron q-jet style intake I removed from mine was it had oval ports; not the slightly smaller peanut ports. That's an immediate disruption in the intake flow of air to the heads (if they're TBI/PP heads).

I'm using the Edel TBI intake w/the smaller peanut ports so that they match the heads intake port which should yield a smoother, better velocity transition. If I had true oval port heads, I would use the standard Performer intake & factory TBI adapter. I'm also by-passing the coolant loop on mine.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
alberta91crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoti View Post
air in, air out. Start w/an edelbrock performer tbi intake. Freshen up the peanut port heads w/a multi angle valve job & mill the heads slightly if possible to slightly bump compression. Then add a better cam & better exhaust (headers).
where would one get the heads done? At an engine shop or just by new heads?
Did you do anything with the computer?
IS THAT 454SS.COM?

Last edited by alberta91crew; 07-04-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: ADDED QUESTION
Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta91crew View Post
where would one get the heads done? At an engine shop or just by new heads?
Did you do anything with the computer?
IS THAT 454SS.COM?
A local 'high volume' type place did the machine work. My motor seized up so everything was gone through & I replaced my pistons w/flat-tops too (minimal change, but it should still help). No computer mods thus far but I haven't got it running again yet to 100% determine if it would benefit from some tuning.

Another thing I'm doing is switching to a heated O2 sensor vs. the stock unit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Don't mind me...I'm just subscribing.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
wyattglock

I had my heads reworked at a local performance shop that has been around for over 20 years. My biggest piece of advice is to ask the shop if they try and press out the original steel guide, or if they use the tool to cut it for a bronze sleeves. The bronze guides will help your valves last much longer than if you dont have them. For a reference, my heads cost me $319 out the door. This included magnafluxing, hot tank clean up, .005" shaved off the heads, bronze guides, new seats, and a three angle valve grind. Price will obviously vary, but that is just what it cost here in Indiana.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
INSIDIOUS '86

look through this article http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ild/index.html
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
SCOTI

Decent power but the cam wouldn't work w/TBI.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
BigBlocksRule

Before you throw a bunch of cash at your stock peanut port heads, try to find some old 396 closed chamber heads. They'll flow a lot better, even with stock valve sizes, and you'll bump your compression by a full point. Clean up the bowls and short turns and get a good valve job.
As for bronze guides, I have several sets of big block heads in my shop with well in excess of 100K miles apiece, guides are still within spec. I don't dislike bronze, but if the factory guides are fine and still within spec, there's no reason not to run 'em. Roller rockers will help 'em live since the tip of the rocker doesn't "scrub" across the valve tip and push it back and forth in the guide.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Before you throw a bunch of cash at your stock peanut port heads, try to find some old 396 closed chamber heads. They'll flow a lot better, even with stock valve sizes, and you'll bump your compression by a full point. Clean up the bowls and short turns and get a good valve job.
As for bronze guides, I have several sets of big block heads in my shop with well in excess of 100K miles apiece, guides are still within spec. I don't dislike bronze, but if the factory guides are fine and still within spec, there's no reason not to run 'em. Roller rockers will help 'em live since the tip of the rocker doesn't "scrub" across the valve tip and push it back and forth in the guide.
396 heads.... The cast iron (affordable) version of Edelbrocks aluminimum 'hi-compression' performer heads. I was really surprised @ just how low the OE compression ratio is. Seems a mid 8's to 9:1 motor should still tug a load w/o detonating on pump gas.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
meter swinger

Subscribed.
What about the stock exhaust? Go to duals and a better cat? Dont intend to hijack just im in the same boat.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
Subscribed.
What about the stock exhaust? Go to duals and a better cat? Dont intend to hijack just im in the same boat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Air-in, air out. Anything that helps w/that, helps.

A larger single exhaust w/some headers & high-flow cat would be better than manifolds & smaller, restrictive OE converter, & small OE pipe size. Duals would work too (if you can).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
BigBlocksRule

Headers, baby, headers...high flow cat, decent turbo mufflers and you're set.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
pig rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
Don't mind me...I'm just subscribing.
your alive campy how you been

If you put headers on you'll need to put a preheated o2 senser in. because the exhaust is flowing past the o2 faster and its takes longer to heat up and it will stay in close loop longer. but I have therory about doing that a preheat o2 was made to preheat by the ecm now I've had a couple go bad on me so my therory is its not made to be hot all the time like it is when its add like what we would do 1 wire to the ecm 1 wire to switched power.not to the ecm to switch it on/off like it was designed to. so its on and hot all the time. thus burnning it self up so to speak. maybe someone that realy knows can shed some light on this

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig rig View Post
your alive campy how you been
I’m good. Livin’ the dream.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
jimbonice

I wouldn't be too concerned about the cast iron oval port manifold disrupting the flow on the peanut ports. I've seen a number of dyno sheets in the hi-po magazines where it hasn't hurt performance, but actually increased the power levels in mild street builds. It might go against what we all believe to be common sense, but sometimes life is like that.

cheers,
jimbonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
BigBlocksRule

^ yeah, it used to be common for guys to use a rectangle intake with oval port heads. Mort mismatch is a nightmare but it works...somehow.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonice View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about the cast iron oval port manifold disrupting the flow on the peanut ports. I've seen a number of dyno sheets in the hi-po magazines where it hasn't hurt performance, but actually increased the power levels in mild street builds. It might go against what we all believe to be common sense, but sometimes life is like that.

cheers,
Good discussion guys. I'll challenge the statement above..... Increased the power level vs. what alternative?

We could debate the theory of it does/doesn't work, but the point is moot. We know the 'mis-match' will function, but you would only maintain/improve the velocity by matching the ports (meaning you won't hurt it). I'm not saying you're killing the power w/the mis-match.

That being said, if you're spending the $$ for a new manifold & you have no plans to get a larger TB or do a carb swap, why not get the one w/matching ports?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
jimbonice

I think the point I was trying to make, perhaps not well, is that people are intentionally buying oval port intakes for the peanut port heads, because they flow better than the peanut port intakes like a Performer 2.0, and make more hp on these builds. So imho, a port matched manifold on the 454 tbi would be nice, it's not necessarily gonna hurt performance if it's not there.
jimbonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
alberta91crew

Well heres my though on it, I have a K3500 SRW that i plan on lifting a bit and making it look good, so that i can park the duramax and drive this truck daily, the thing is with the 454 the fuel mileage pretty much sucks anyways might as well have a high horsepower gas guzzler
I already have duals no headers yet and that is how this all started, when i was a kid we built a 460 ford, and out a high rise, 750 holley, cam, and shift kit and that thing could roast 44"s

SO
I was thinking my manifold gaskets are shot either way, i might just put headers on but then i should add an intake, yada, yada ,yada
know what i mean

i am not against swapping back to carb, but i am just wondering if i will be happy with a bit better cam, intake, headers and maybe a new set of heads, i could buy new if i new what to get

Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
DBLSPRT68

Subcribed...... I have an 89 454tbi
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
454HO

Quote:
I think the point I was trying to make, perhaps not well, is that people are intentionally buying oval port intakes for the peanut port heads, because they flow better than the peanut port intakes like a Performer 2.0, and make more hp on these builds. So imho, a port matched manifold on the 454 tbi would be nice, it's not necessarily gonna hurt performance if it's not there.
I have also read where people use rectangular port intake manifolds on oval port heads. I have not tried it, but supposedly it works quite well.

I will throw out another suggestion for heads - the 96-99 vortec heads from a Gen VI are said to provide a 40-50HP increase over the older peanut ports. I see them listed on the local Craigslist occassionally for fairly cheap. If you want new heads, expect to pay $2500 or more for a decent set. BB parts ain't cheap!

Regardless of what you decide to do, don't expect huge gains if using the stock throttle body. The throttle bores are only 2", and depending on what source you want to believe, it only flows 640-670 cfm. And the injectors are either 75# or 81#, which can support around 260HP. Yes it is possible to bore out the throttle body and install bigger injectors, but you will still be limited.

What transmission do you have in this rig, and what is the rear end ratio?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
I have also read where people use rectangular port intake manifolds on oval port heads. I have not tried it, but supposedly it works quite well.
I guess I was having a similar issue.... My point was, since I was spending the $$ for a new alum Edelbrock intake & not re-using the factory cast iron, low profile piece, why not just get the best port match vs. the alternative?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG