The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
hipasschev94

Re: s10 v8

ok i decided i couldnt sleep till i got alittle more done on the truck so i started cleaning the old window (found a pretty slick way to get the residue off) then put that window in did every test i could think of with limits to make sure it would work right and it passed with alill tweaking, then started sanding the box where ima do the first pacthes then went through all this spare sheet metal my dads friend gave me to use for patching ill feather out the top alittle more tomorrow....
red solo cup, i fill you up, proceed to party, lets throw a party
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
hipasschev94

ok i was talking to my girlfriend about putting in a sunroof on it and she thinks that would comprimise some of the structural suppport, i didnt think much of it till i found the sunroof im going to put in it then i started thinking so ima post it up here, if i put in the sunroof would it comprimise any of the structure strength? i dont think it would..
Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
BarryB

as for you sunroof, no it won't take any of the strength out of the cab. Some S10's came factory sunroof installed. As for the placement you need to keep to has close to center as possible. If you have to, cut the visor to clear the sunroof.
I used to have a toyota pickup long time ago. I put a sunroof in it, then installed a cab visor. I cut the visor to fit the sun roof. real easy to do. I wrecked the yota but still have the visor. LOL!

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
hipasschev94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
as for you sunroof, no it won't take any of the strength out of the cab. Some S10's came factory sunroof installed. As for the placement you need to keep to has close to center as possible. If you have to, cut the visor to clear the sunroof.
I used to have a toyota pickup long time ago. I put a sunroof in it, then installed a cab visor. I cut the visor to fit the sun roof. real easy to do. I wrecked the yota but still have the visor. LOL!
lol thats gotta be a good story at the campfire about totaling the truck but still having the visor, but ive been doing research on the sunroofs and i think im going to pass on it for now id love to have it but i havent heard anything good on a sunroof going into a vehicle that wasn't made to have one, ive heard of 8 out of 10 leaking even if they were professionally installed.. maybe sometime down the road i might do a roof swap with a s10 that had the factory sunroof
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
hipasschev94

well made some progress today, got the old sheet metal cut out then started sanding off all the paint to bring it down to bare metal on the new sheet metal
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Nice job!
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
hipasschev94

just updating on some progress yesterday i went and fixed most of the surface rust areas on the box then put a coat of paint over the bare metal for when i have the box sitting outside for a while then i scraped the flaking rust off of the inner wheel well and put some paint over that then finally started welding on the body patch, should have more progress pics up later tonight
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Gyawo

Little late for some welding tips, but here are what I have learnt so far anyways. I made patch panels for my '86 K5 on the rear of the floor. If you keep on blowing through then the metal you are welding to is still too thin/weak, which in that case you just have to try to quickly zap it and fill it in. You can always grind it down slowly and smooth it out, try not to build it up too much, just means you have to do more grinding. Unfortunately the lowest setting isn't always the best idea, to be honest I bought myself a fancy Miller welder, the Miller 140 autoset (stacey david told me to :P), and that thing welds like a dream, specially since it is only 110. You just have to find a setting that doesn't feed it too fast or get too hot before you get enough wire down. I am not a welder myself though, just a hobbyist, so asking some guys at the body shop doesnt hurt!
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
hipasschev94

ya i talked to a guy at my work and hes a good enough welder to be able to weld aluminum foil lol but thats what i did.. heres whats done now, im doing the last of my grinding on this side then im done then i got that bed railing to look foward to, then finally got my girl out in the garage and shes working on that last pic got payed and buyin some new parts. anyone in minnesota if i put a roll pan on this for looks would this still be street legal here? i think you can top out at somewhere around 25"
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Gyawo

A roll pan should be legal anywhere, as long as your license plate is displayed in a visible location. I have a roll pan on my 1995 s10, came stock right from the General himself. I just stick my plate inside my cab against the window to deter plate theft. Haven't had any problem where I live. Never hurts to check with the local law enforcement though.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
hipasschev94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyawo View Post
A roll pan should be legal anywhere, as long as your license plate is displayed in a visible location. I have a roll pan on my 1995 s10, came stock right from the General himself. I just stick my plate inside my cab against the window to deter plate theft. Haven't had any problem where I live. Never hurts to check with the local law enforcement though.
ya the only thing is where i live we have hight restrictions that once it goes so high you have to have a drop bumper im sure i got space to play because you just have to have something attatched to the bumper that can withstand atleast a 5 mph impact and i have a drop hitch welded onto the frame but from the stock s10 tahoe 4x4 mine has a 4" suspension lift and a 3"body
Old 12-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
hipasschev94

finally done with this side until a start with the mudd, put a quick coat of paint over it so it doesnt rust at all the im giving up on the roll pan idea and just going to sand down my bumper and repaint it since the metal is still perfect so now im holding off on the bed rail till i get the steel tubing so in the mean time i got the bumper striped all the way down and thats it for tonight and figured out what color im going with once i spray it and thats gunna look sweet the pic doesnt do justice to how good the paint really looks
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
hipasschev94

heres my project for today. im fixing the triniun instead of buying a new one and saving me 10 bucks lol. sweet all the things you can do with a little peice of scrap metal you find on the floor
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
hipasschev94

alright im done with the trunnion, worked on a couple odd and end then decided i was bored enough that i was going to work on my girlfriends side alittle bit lol sorry babe got the sanded down alittle bit cut out then was trying to get the wire mesh in but that isnt working so well so im thinkin i just might spend another week working on welding up sheet metal on that.. all in all id say its goin pretty smooth
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
brothers69c-10
Suburban Hick

I know your on a budget, but whole s10 trucks that have decent cabs really arent that expensive especially if you find one with a bad motor. Also why does it have to be a tahoe cab? I never knew there was a difference other than the dashes and that was just a year change deal not model. Plus i am pretty sure you can use a 2wd cab if you just change the hump in oyur cab. Still sounds alot easier than build ing a firewall. The biggest problem you would have building a firewall is bracing it so when you cut everything out the cab itself stays square.
1969 Chevy C-10 396/500hp TH400 lowered 4"
1968 Imapla Custom 396/325hp TH400 "Grandmas Car"
1976 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=488505
1978 Chevy K-10 454
1983 S10 4x4 "Bumblb" (Grandpa's truck)
1993 Chevy S10 V8 conversion
1990 Ford Probe Gt
1992 Dodge W-150 "Old Man's Truck"
1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
1992 Mercury Grand Marquis-Mercruiser
2000 Ford F150 (Currently my mother drives this)
1946 Farmall H with Stan Hoist loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Wheel Horse " Rat Tractor"
brothers69c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
hipasschev94

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothers69c-10 View Post
I know your on a budget, but whole s10 trucks that have decent cabs really arent that expensive especially if you find one with a bad motor. Also why does it have to be a tahoe cab? I never knew there was a difference other than the dashes and that was just a year change deal not model. Plus i am pretty sure you can use a 2wd cab if you just change the hump in oyur cab. Still sounds alot easier than build ing a firewall. The biggest problem you would have building a firewall is bracing it so when you cut everything out the cab itself stays square.
with it being a tahoe its a trim package, i wouldnt be able to fit most of my trim on a sle or a base, because the tahoe is the best trim package mine has a full headliner and wouldnt be able to fit the other trim models due to diffrent roof styles... im hoping if i can talk to myself into just cutting out the rusted parts and welding new sheet metal but idk if i would be good enough to be able to do that
Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
hipasschev94

my new tail gate came in today im just hoping everything fits right on it right because it looks alittle diffrent on the inside
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
hipasschev94

alright i got the tail gate mocked up to see how it fits and it looks crappy (other words id like to use but not allowed on here) its so far off of allignment and the top goes from flush alittle lower but still flush on the top to rounded and high on the other side and the bottom sticks out to far and i cant move it back any further, anyone got any ideas that will help? i can work with metal shaping and welding wise decently
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
hipasschev94

screw it, im just returning this tail gate then going to a junkyard and getting real gm parts instead of cheap reproductions
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

much better than the s10 in my opinion, kind of a weird combo with the v6.. is a v8 swap in order?

i see older door panels.. hmmm i wonder if its been peiced together or what?

I would look it over real good.

P.S. thats a 4 inch lift.

East Tx Squares
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
hipasschev94

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayharville View Post
much better than the s10 in my opinion, kind of a weird combo with the v6.. is a v8 swap in order?

i see older door panels.. hmmm i wonder if its been peiced together or what?

I would look it over real good.

P.S. thats a 4 inch lift.
ya im used to these with a v8 to, and not for awhile its driving good as is right now so i think im going to stick with the 4.3 for now just for mileage since this will be my dd, but then when i can afford it sometime down the road after i finish the s10 i might put in a big block maybe somewhere down the line a 502 or something like that or looking into doing something different with this like maybe putting in a flex fuel v8 or and deisel not quit sure yet
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

to be honest the 4.3 and 35s are gonna kill any chance of gas mileage, you would probably get better mpg with a 350. plus, since its an 87 you can retain the tbi for higher mpg.

in the meantime I would leave it alone and drive it.

just curious, does your s-10 have sentimental value or?

East Tx Squares
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
hipasschev94

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayharville View Post
to be honest the 4.3 and 35s are gonna kill any chance of gas mileage, you would probably get better mpg with a 350. plus, since its an 87 you can retain the tbi for higher mpg.

in the meantime I would leave it alone and drive it.

just curious, does your s-10 have sentimental value or?
lol ya otherwise i wouldnt be putting as much as i am into it, weve owend it for about 10 years and my dad used to drive it everywhere before the mounts rusted out so the doors wouldnt shut then i started rebuilding it so he would just have a truck again but then they signed the title to me so its legaly my first truck, hence why i want to keep it in the family just like my 78 cheyenne
Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
hipasschev94

and once that turns into a project im most likely going to ditch the tbi cause i think these trucks are so much better with a carb plus it wouldnt be my dd once that happens
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

I think otherwise. TBI over carb offroad the TBI will win every time. if you got it, keep it. I dont like dealing with carbs.

Just thinkin about the s-10, man, you could drive down here, buy another one for 800$, drive it back up there and have a waaaay cleaner truck to start with, probably cheaper too.

of course I understand the sentimentality of it, ive done 3 cab swaps on my swb, the only thing original is the frame and gas tank lol

East Tx Squares