The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
BigBlue86K30

86 K30 - ZZ454 Motor Swap - Need Suggestions

Working on my 86 K30 this weekend, going to be pulling out the stock Mark IV 454 and replacing it with a brand new GM Crate ZZ454. I am preparing to get everything ready but have run into a few snags. This is my first engine swap but my buddy who is doing the majority of the work says its no big deal. My biggest concern at this point is the use of my existing headers. I have Hooker Competition headers on the Mark IV engine, I cant easily tell if these will fit the new Gen VI 454 or not. I am trying to keep these so I dont have to have the whole exhaust redone.

I have the following other parts ordered from Summit as well already:
- Joe Gibbs 5/30 break in oil
- Coolant
- Transmission Fluid
- Gaskets for headers, collectors, carb and fuel pump
- Crate ZZ454; starter, water pump, plugs, wires, wire holders, GM PP HEI Distributor, dipstick and dipstick tube
- Hughes 2500HD stall converter

I am going to reuse my existing fuel pump, Holley 750 4150 carb, air cleaner, belt system and all accessories.

Can anyone else think of anything else I am going to need or am forgetting? I am not trying to rush the install but want to have all the parts we need rather than having to stop midway through.

Thanks for any info guys!
BigBlue86K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 86 K30 - ZZ454 Motor Swap - Need Suggestions

While the engine is out you could clean up the engine bay maybe even paint it if needed.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
LuvNLife

Re: 86 K30 - ZZ454 Motor Swap - Need Suggestions

The Hooker's Comp's are going to take a bit of fitting and grinding in a couple of areas of the flange, so be prepared to have them on and off a few times.

If you can grab one, use the "truck" oil filter (1 quarter more capacity); NOT the little one GM specs for the engine. I personally like the Napa Gold, but Wix also makes a good filter. Note on the Gibbs oil, it's only good for 4 hours or run time or 200 miles. In that time, drive up as many hills as you can find, since that will build cylinder pressure, and help seat the rings. It may sound like overkill, but I'd do the first oil change, then refill it with Gibbs once again, and run it another 200 miles, to be on the safe side. The ZZ's had some issues with cylinder wall sealing. After that, go to the synthetic oil of choice and you should be good.

If the starter is stock, no problem, but if it's aftermarket, you may have to do some grinding and "notch" it a fair bit.

Depending on what brackets you have for the power steering, etc., you may have to source some aftermarket pieces. Most of mine did not line up at all when I did the exact same swap, but in a Nova.

Hope that helps a bit...

Jerry
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote