The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
mytruck1949

Rocker Oiling System

Gang so I have been working on my oiling system issue for the top end of my 216. So I replaced the feeder tube and pulled off the rockers. I have cleaned up everything and there was some holes in the top of the rockers that were plugged. My question is re-install. I carefully removed each side and laid it out on the bench. Cleaned each piece with gasoline and they look like knew.

So the question is the Rocker Arm rail. When I took mine off I noticed the holds that are to pass oil to the rockers are on the bottom of the tube as it came off the motor. I just got done watching a youtube vid where a guy put these at the top side so it opened directly to the hole in the rocker. So nothing would surprise me but I am wondering if this had been taken off before due to the tubes were pretty clean but whomever re-installed had the tubes upside-down. I have done some research but haven't found anything to confirm the holes to be up or down.
mytruck1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Rocker Oiling System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytruck1949 View Post
Gang so I have been working on my oiling system issue for the top end of my 216. So I replaced the feeder tube and pulled off the rockers. I have cleaned up everything and there was some holes in the top of the rockers that were plugged. My question is re-install. I carefully removed each side and laid it out on the bench. Cleaned each piece with gasoline and they look like knew.

So the question is the Rocker Arm rail. When I took mine off I noticed the holds that are to pass oil to the rockers are on the bottom of the tube as it came off the motor. I just got done watching a youtube vid where a guy put these at the top side so it opened directly to the hole in the rocker. So nothing would surprise me but I am wondering if this had been taken off before due to the tubes were pretty clean but whomever re-installed had the tubes upside-down. I have done some research but haven't found anything to confirm the holes to be up or down.
Here's the problem with that rocker setup. The 216 235 engines push a lot of air through the system especially 216's due to all the tubing that's secured via ferules and tube nuts. These work loose and suck air the air of course rises.

The holes on the rocker shaft are on the bottom so that your not pushing mostly air into the rocker arm and shaft contact point making a wear condition, The center tube bleeds off the air to help eliminate that. With the holes on the bottom it passes mostly oil and it has a bigger clearance because of the spring tension on the rocker. The groove in the rocker allows oil to the top.. I know it seems counter to logic but that's the reason they are on the bottom.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
mytruck1949

Re: Rocker Oiling System

Thank you for the confirmation. Glad to know how this works.
mytruck1949 is offline   Reply With Quote