The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fuel pump went out today... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=432462)

LS1_C10 11-24-2010 11:02 PM

Fuel pump went out today...

I hope.
Backed out of the driveway, made it three houses, the truck dies. Get it started again, idles fine, throw it in drive, hit the gas. It takes a minimum of 3/4 throttle to idle down the road. When you let off the gas, it dies. Also, the lights are flickering, and they have never done that before.
I drove it all day yesterday with zero problems.
Oh and its 72 degrees outside.
Oil pressure and truck temp show fine.
Has gas in it (we idled to the corner gas station...about 500 feet).
Took FOREVER to start, like 30 seconds of cranking. Never done that before either.
Help me out guys!

RandyP 11-24-2010 11:05 PM

Re: Fuel pump went out today...

Fuel filter, or pickup filter in the tank. That's my guess. :)

thepenguin99 11-24-2010 11:21 PM

Stock pumps pretty much don't die unless you let them sit up long periods of time. I would definitely check the fuel filter or tank sock.

LS1_C10 11-24-2010 11:25 PM

I dont know on either of those. I think its a crate 350. Thats where my expertise ends lol. The good thing is my mechanic was here tonight, bad news is he didnt wanna fiddle with it. We did not see a fuel filter. Where are some alternate locations?

old Rusty C10 11-24-2010 11:36 PM

prolly at the end of the fuel line and sorta inside the carb you have to disconnect the fuel line then the fitting behind that

LS1_C10 11-24-2010 11:40 PM

that doesnt sound like something i could mess up too bad. Maybe Ill wait till daylight tho. It died at the end of the driveway. Thanks man

83burban 11-25-2010 02:02 PM

easy way to check for fuel pump operation is to disconnect the fuel line from either the carb or the throttle body and disconect that ignition wire.

If it is carbed put a water bottle over the end of the disconnected fuel line and crank it for a few seconds - should fill the water bottle fairly quickly if it is good.

If it is TBI - fuel pump is electric - all you need to do is turn the key to the on position - no need to crank - and the fuel pump should shoot fuel out (note that the electric is much higher pressure and will fill the bottle more rapdily)

If fuel pump is fine then check the filter and work your way back for either a leak or an obstruction somewhere down the line.

motornut 11-25-2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tbi filter on the frame rail
or follow the carb line @ in/the carb

LS1_C10 12-08-2010 11:08 PM

Alright. Slight update.
Pulled fuel line, it dumps fuel fine.
Put it back together, and the truck starts and idles fine. Let it warm up, drop it into reverse everything still sounds good. Click to drive, it sounds like its missing terribly and dies. :/
Suggestions or ideas?

goatwrangler 12-09-2010 09:44 PM

Just curious but do you have an auto or manual tranny ? I'd look for a vacuum leak...Does it also die when you step on the gas in neutral?
After the vacuum, I'd check your spark plugs and spark plug wires.

LS1_C10 12-10-2010 02:03 AM

Its an automatic. We were gonna do a carbon buildup check next week.

LS1_C10 12-17-2010 02:55 AM

Welp....lol we were kind of afraid to check the spark since we had a gas leak in the neighborhood yesterday