The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Classic performance parts steering wheel crooked (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=841394)

K10-Kansas 01-18-2023 03:55 PM

Classic performance parts steering wheel crooked

1 Attachment(s)
Does your gear selection indicator sit at 12:00? I just installed my CPP column and my indicator is sitting at 12:30. The notch in the steering column shaft that sits over the protruding notch in the brake pedal steering column mount housing, those notches don't line up centered between the shift indicator screws. Are everyone's shift indicators slanted to the right?

best view 01-18-2023 09:39 PM

Re: Classic performance parts steering wheel crooked

Wow that’s hard to look at

special-K 01-19-2023 09:00 AM

I feel like I'm eating a taco

HO455 01-19-2023 09:49 AM

Yep, that's cockeyed.

68 C10 Driver 01-19-2023 11:28 AM

Just out of curiosity, what does it look like on the other side of the firewall at the bracket?

K10-Kansas 01-21-2023 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 9168590)
Just out of curiosity, what does it look like on the other side of the firewall at the bracket?

Here's the engine bay side

clay68c10 01-21-2023 07:20 PM

It should be straight up at 12:00
The rectangular holes in the column tube should line up with it.

K10-Kansas 01-22-2023 09:04 AM

I called CPP and they say they are looking at their columns to see if there is a problem. I called IDIDIT and they said their columns don't have this problem because the user drills the shift indicator holes themselves. I called local IDIDIT reseller and he says he cuts the brake housing nipple off to make the CPP columns straight. I'm not doing that. I imagine I'll get a replacement CPP column or I return it and get an IDIDIT column.

This has been a ton of work and hassle with the issues with the CPP column. I feel like they owe me $500 in labor costs.

Montierth 01-23-2023 04:34 PM

I have been looking at the CPP tilt column due to the price and their saying it is all new. The shift indicator lining up right is one of the reasons I would want to change out my current stock column. Did CPP ever get back to you? Sounds like paying the bigger money and going with IDIDIT is the way to go for me.

68 C10 Driver 01-23-2023 08:03 PM

I was going to say loosen the column clamps on the firewall and under the dash and rotate the column counter clockwise, but that would put the shifter in an odd angle. Looks like that column you have is actually defective.

I have seen the IDIDIT units and they look really nice...or get a used GM tilt column and refurbish it.

K10-Kansas 01-23-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montierth (Post 9170447)
I have been looking at the CPP tilt column due to the price and their saying it is all new. The shift indicator lining up right is one of the reasons I would want to change out my current stock column. Did CPP ever get back to you? Sounds like paying the bigger money and going with IDIDIT is the way to go for me.

I emailed them again and no reply.

K10-Kansas 01-23-2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 9170516)
I was going to say loosen the column clamps on the firewall and under the dash and rotate the column counter clockwise, but that would put the shifter in an odd angle. Looks like that column you have is actually defective.

I have seen the IDIDIT units and they look really nice...or get a used GM tilt column and refurbish it.

The only way I could rotate the column is if I ground off the nipple in the "firewall-brake pedal-column support housing".

Casper42 01-27-2023 12:33 AM

hum. its odd indeed. Perhaps your signiture might explain something about the fit:
1971 GMC C10 cab. 71-72 Chevy grill. Maybe a 77-78 K10 frame. Long bed cut to short bed step side. Manual changed over to automatic R700 4 speed

It seems your truck has had a LOT of work. Perhaps this is not a CPP issue. hum

K10-Kansas 01-27-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9171775)
hum. its odd indeed. Perhaps your signiture might explain something about the fit:
1971 GMC C10 cab. 71-72 Chevy grill. Maybe a 77-78 K10 frame. Long bed cut to short bed step side. Manual changed over to automatic R700 4 speed

It seems your truck has had a LOT of work. Perhaps this is not a CPP issue. hum

I think the center nipple in the brake-clutch-steering support for all trucks is centered. Mine is centered. I confirmed that the notch cut into the steering column that the nipples set into is offset from the 2 holes that hold the gear selection indicator for the classic performance parts steering column hanging on the wall at LMC just like the CPP column I installed is offset. Since their columns are offset and C10 nipples are centered then the columns would look offset. A fabricator i called also confirmed that he cuts the nipple off C10 trucks to get CCP columns to sit straight.

special-K 01-27-2023 09:33 AM

Column fitment only involves the cab and all columns interchange in 67-72 trucks

Montierth 01-27-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K10-Kansas (Post 9171849)
I think the center nipple in the brake-clutch-steering support for all trucks is centered. Mine is centered. I confirmed that the notch cut into the steering column that the nipples set into is offset from the 2 holes that hold the gear selection indicator for the classic performance parts steering column hanging on the wall at LMC just like the CPP column I installed is offset. Since their columns are offset and C10 nipples are centered then the columns would look offset. A fabricator i called also confirmed that he cuts the nipple off C10 trucks to get CCP columns to sit straight.

I am trying to picture what you mean by cutting off the center nipple in the brake-clutch-steering support. Is this inside the cab or under hood? Is this on the column or on the truck that you are having to cut? Just curious. Thanks

6600DURAMAX 01-27-2023 12:57 PM

subscribed

K10-Kansas 01-31-2023 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CPP is claiming that all C10 trucks have offset gear selection indicators

best view 01-31-2023 09:55 PM

Now that’s funny I’d tell them the experts in this truck club are seeing this and all potential customers

Johnl48 01-31-2023 10:27 PM

Tilt column I got here from Don D lined up perfectly. No issues

https://www.beamingpix.com/images/20...17_Gallery.jpg

K10-Kansas 01-31-2023 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Montierth (Post 9171889)
I am trying to picture what you mean by cutting off the center nipple in the brake-clutch-steering support. Is this inside the cab or under hood? Is this on the column or on the truck that you are having to cut? Just curious. Thanks

Here is the nipple I was referring to.

K10-Kansas 02-01-2023 08:33 AM

I need some pictures to show the CPP representative that the indicator housing should be centered. Could you all post some pictures in this thread?

special-K 02-01-2023 09:40 AM

I'd tell Moises Perez to let me talk to your QC Dept. so they can convince me as easily as they convinced you, with a poor and incorrect answer! Oh but wait, the customer in the store confirmed it. My bad. The thousands of people who think the indicator should sit square, based on the view from the driver seat or their truck, are wrong. Or, maybe he should have asked that customer if his column was a CPP as well.

Jason Banks 02-01-2023 12:32 PM

CPP doesn't give a damn. My dealings with them were similar, they will do anything but admit their parts are poorly designed..

Montierth 02-01-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K10-Kansas (Post 9173705)
Here is the nipple I was referring to.

Ahh I see. Now I gotta look at mine. Assuming the support/brace would have the nipple regardless if automatic or clutch truck.

Maybe a longshot but I think I saw in a previous post your dash was bent. Would that play into this at all? Just a thot?