View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
clinebarger

Re: 2004 yukon xl tranny slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo297 View Post
my fluids are checked regularly and levels were good there was no warning of impending failure in regards to any slippage or shifting issues. I have had a slight noise that no one was able to isolate( wheel bearings, tire ballance/wear patterns were checked and tranny fluid replaced with a new tranny filter just in case and the fluid was red and not burnt then, that was 3- months ago there was no metal found in pan but no change in noise after) that noise was intermitent almost a harmonic that would increase in volume with acceleration and decrease with deceleration but was not there with coasting. Then one day it drove to work fine and upon start up and heading home 3-4 started slipping like hell. 1-2 and reverse work fine.
I was just stating low fliud level can cause this

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo297 View Post
I called the shop you reccomended Gregg quoted me 2100 for rebuilt with upgraded 3-4 clutches etc and rebuilt tc, turn key installed with 3 yr 75,000 mile warranty. I just have to limp it to him from here but the cost of rebuilt upgraded trannys with slightly less warranty#s online seem to be running in the 14- 1800$ range with me having to do the labor I think taking it there is the best option for me.
Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
I think we are just saying RUN the dex 6. Not saying thats what caused it.. Thats my opinion. But, wouldnt running an inferior fluid speed up the process of the clutches failing>?

If he desides to run Dexron VI thats great, but a transmission shop is going to use DexIII because when you buy it in 55 gallon drums the price difference is alot more than 20 bucks. In my opinion DexVI will not make the transmission last longer.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote