View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
murphy98

Re: 60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Thanks for the carpenter square suggestion, I got a good look at it and noticed my fender with the spare tire cutout is narrower than the other. Never noticed that before, barely noticeable in the pic. That side will have a shorter bumper than the other. I have a metal super mart close by, looks like I need 2 pieces of 1/8" diamond plate steel 12" x 24" and 2 pieces of 1/4" X 4" flat stock steel 2 foot long before I start cutting. If you get a chance could you post a couple of rear close ups so I can better visualize that molded area like the pic below. Thanks murphy98
Here are some pics of the contoured tip of the bumper side rails where it meets the fender, hope these help? It's only about the last 2-2 1/2" of the bottom portion of the tip that is bent (sort of a compound curve top to bottom of the edge & horizontally a couple of inches from the end) to match the contour of the fender. I took the last pic from underneath so you can see how it bends in to fit the shape of the fender. The top edge is straight all the way. Bottom edge of the bumper side rail should be flush with the bottom of the fender. In other words you should not be able to see the bottom of the fender dropping below the bottom of the bumper side extension. Obviously, I did not have to deal with making these contoured tips as I was able to reuse my original tips however it may be helpful to use a scrap piece of thinner metal or tin to make up a sample of the tip before trying to shape the thicker steel piece.
Attached Images

murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote