The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
79bonanza

how the heck do i get my igniton out

ok i have 1978 chevy k10 and i need to change the igniton cylinder in it and i cant get it out, how does it come out of the steering column, i dont have the keys but the igniton is broken anyway, it still turns the truck on just no keys required lol
79bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: how the heck do i get my igniton out

first thing you do is disconnect the battery positive cable for poops and giggles then you take off the steering wheel. You then need to take out the snap ring that holds on the ignition lock plate or whatever you call that thing right under the steering wheel. There is a special tool that you screw on the column shaft and compress the spring under that plate but a piece of stock steel and a couple of bolts can make one quick..
Once that is removed remove the arm from the turn signal stalk and the hazzard pull out. Pry up carefully the turn signal gizmo and you should either see a torx head bolt or a cllip that you take out at the top of the ignition cylinder. once that is out what is left should pop out and the install is the reverse

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
79bonanza

ok well i think i understand what your saying but do you have any pics of the piece that needs compressed or has a spring under it, i think i know what it looks like but the farthest iv been in my steering column is the wheel off and the horn stuff off other than that i have no idea
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

youve seen it then its the black piece under the steering wheel as soon as you pop off the steering wheel. Unfortunately i dont have any columns here to take pics of

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
79bonanza

ok so i have to pull that black peace out and then its easy goin from there