The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Why Won't My 454 Harmonic Balancer Fit?

I started putting the harmonic balancer back on my 454 after replacing the old timing chain and it doesn't seem to want to fit! I know it's supposed to be tight but come on! I already stripped the original HB bolt for some reason, (it was not cross threaded) and had to buy a new one, I've got about an inch left to go for the HB to be where it was, I'm contemplating hammering it on the rest of the way! I know that's not right but what else do I do?
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
mgchevyparts

Re: Why Won't My 454 Harmonic Balancer Fit?

You need to use the proper install tool. It's thread to screw into the crank then it has larger diameter threads to screw(press) the dampner on. The only way to do it correctly and safely. You usually can't install them all the way if you're trying to use the crank bolt as your press, plus you'll strip the bolt or worst yet the crank hole.
This is what the tool looks like: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/proform-...FRSPfgodhXMAgw
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Jake Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchevyparts View Post
You need to use the proper install tool. It's thread to screw into the crank then it has larger diameter threads to screw(press) the dampner on. The only way to do it correctly and safely. You usually can't install them all the way if you're trying to use the crank bolt as your press, plus you'll strip the bolt or worst yet the crank hole.
This is what the tool looks like: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/proform-...FRSPfgodhXMAgw

Yep, money well spent
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
kalbert

Correct tool x3

You will not hammer it on, it will booger up the pulley mounting surface, could bend the crank, ruin the lateral surface on the rear main, and so on and you still won't have the damper pushed on all the way.

You *might* pull it on with the bolt, if you oil the threads and go slow, use a wrench not an impact. Use a bolt longer than what's need to get it started so you have a good amount of thread to bite on, but don't drive it in so far that it bottoms out.

Or you could get the tool that's for that and it'll just about put itself on. Your local auto parts store might even rent you one vs buying.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Slammed84

Another trick is to boil some water and keep the snout of the balancer in there for a bit. Get it good and hot before you install. It'll expand the snout, oil it up good too.

The install tool is a must have for sure
Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #6
Slammed84

You basically have to use an impact, because the wrench will just turn the motor unless you have someone backin up the flywheel
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
BigBlocksRule

That bolt is not meant to be used to pull the balancer on, just to help old it!!! You can generally get a loaner from most of the bigger auto parts stores. Put some grease on the snout of the crank and in the balancer hole to help prevent galling.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
savatreatabvr

Since I've got the harmonic balancer almost all the way on by tapping it with a hammer I'm thinking about using a torch (carefully) to heat up the snout of the HB. I know the rubber insert on the HB can't take much heat so wish me luck!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
Since I've got the harmonic balancer almost all the way on by tapping it with a hammer I'm thinking about using a torch (carefully) to heat up the snout of the HB. I know the rubber insert on the HB can't take much heat so wish me luck!
Well good luck but you've been warned by several knowledgeable people in the above posts. Each one of them said to get the right tool to install. You are skirting the edge of making your problems worse. You can rent a tool from a parts store and get your money back once your done. That's pretty simple and cheap insurance policy so you don't screw something up.
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
f.monroe

That much heat is going to kill the seal in the timing cover.
Frank
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Please put the hammer away and let your thought pass on the torch! There's some good solid advise here so far, I'd utilize it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
LynnJr

Most of the chain auto supply stores loan them for "FREE".

They have you give them a deposit then give you the deposit back when you bring the tool back.You can use cash a credit or atm card.

I have a O'Rielly's store near by and do it all the time.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
tony58

Quote:
PLEASE, don't ever work on any other persons car.
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony58 View Post
please, don't ever work on any other persons car.
lmfao......
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
kalbert

Man, just get the tool thats for that. Its cheap to buy, cheaper to rent, and you'd be done already. Why screw around any more and risk really making a mess?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
inc4203

My name is Ivan and I work for an aftermarket damper (balancer) manufacturer. I agree the proper installation tool is the best way to go. I am not sure if you are using an aftermarket crank or balancer but either way if possible I always recommend checking the bore diameter of the balancer and the outer diameter of the crankshaft. Any non-OEM products, in particular cheap offshore, tend to vary all over the place in sizing. A proper diametrical press fit should be .0005"/.0015" however going up to .002" will be ok. Any more of a press fit and you should consider honing the balancer bore to the correct size. It is also a good idea to use some type of anti-sieze or moly grease when installing the damper. Also be sure to inspect the crankshaft bolt. Any sign of damage, spend the few bucks and replace with a grade 8 or better. If money is not an option... buy an ARP!

RULE #1 NEVER beat the balancer on with a hammer. This can cause damage to both the balancer and crank.

RULE #2 DO NOT heat the balancer going on the crank. You will likely damage the rubber which is the material that absorbs the torsional vibrations (harmonics) damaging this rubber will certainly compromise the ability of the damper to absorb vibrations. And like another member stated will likely damage the seal.
inc4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Aaron_L

I worked in a machine shop when I was younger, and when a balancer was tight we honed them to go on easier.
Aaron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #18
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc4203 View Post
My name is Ivan and I work for an aftermarket damper (balancer) manufacturer. I agree the proper installation tool is the best way to go. I am not sure if you are using an aftermarket crank or balancer but either way if possible I always recommend checking the bore diameter of the balancer and the outer diameter of the crankshaft. Any non-OEM products, in particular cheap offshore, tend to vary all over the place in sizing. A proper diametrical press fit should be .0005"/.0015" however going up to .002" will be ok. Any more of a press fit and you should consider honing the balancer bore to the correct size. It is also a good idea to use some type of anti-sieze or moly grease when installing the damper. Also be sure to inspect the crankshaft bolt. Any sign of damage, spend the few bucks and replace with a grade 8 or better. If money is not an option... buy an ARP!

RULE #1 NEVER beat the balancer on with a hammer. This can cause damage to both the balancer and crank.

RULE #2 DO NOT heat the balancer going on the crank. You will likely damage the rubber which is the material that absorbs the torsional vibrations (harmonics) damaging this rubber will certainly compromise the ability of the damper to absorb vibrations. And like another member stated will likely damage the seal.
When a guy who works for a company that makes dampers joins a forum just to tell you you're doing it wrong, you know you've got to be doing it wrong.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
When a guy who works for a company that makes dampers joins a forum just to tell you you're doing it wrong, you know you've got to be doing it wrong.

Thank you all for the advice and constructive criticism! The torch is put away and I'm picking up a HB puller today so I can pull it back off and check the keys and then grease up the crankshaft before putting the HB back on. I'm assuming the loose timing chain is why I had no power in the first place so by replacing the TC it should run like a raped ape! I'll post my results after I've finished this project!

Again, I sincerely appreciate all of the killer advice and constructive criticism I get from this forum it helps me out a lot!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
rs72z

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice and constructive criticism! The torch is put away and I'm picking up a HB puller today so I can pull it back off and check the keys and then grease up the crankshaft before putting the HB back on. I'm assuming the loose timing chain is why I had no power in the first place so by replacing the TC it should run like a raped ape! I'll post my results after I've finished this project!

Again, I sincerely appreciate all of the killer advice and constructive criticism I get from this forum it helps me out a lot!
Get a balancer installer while your there! Greasing the crank isn't going to help. Just saying.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
Oldriginal86

X2 on using the balancer installer. They are not as expensive as a new balancer or worse yet a crankshaft. Make sure the key has not rolled up and stopping the progress. Personally I would remove and measure as previously mentioned.
Oldriginal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
Slammed84

I learned the hard way. Hell all I did was install the HB bolt to allow me to turn my engine over while it was on a stand.

Stripped the crap out of it and needless to say I was '' Cranky"
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I was installing one today so I figured I'd snap pictures to show how easy it can be.

Push balancer on as far as possible by hand.

This is the tool. I bought mine from Summit years ago. Not expensive really.

Screw the tool into the crankshaft until it bottoms.

Now take a wrench and tighten the big nut. The silver deal next to the nut is a thrust bearing that removes the friction from the process.

Done.

Literally, from the time I had the tool in my hand until the time it was fully installed was 30 seconds max. No trauma, no drama.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #24
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I was installing one today so I figured I'd snap pictures to show how easy it can be.

Push balancer on as far as possible by hand.

This is the tool. I bought mine from Summit years ago. Not expensive really.

Screw the tool into the crankshaft until it bottoms.

Now take a wrench and tighten the big nut. The silver deal next to the nut is a thrust bearing that removes the friction from the process.

Done.

Literally, from the time I had the tool in my hand until the time it was fully installed was 30 seconds max. No trauma, no drama.
The tool I picked up from Autozone didn't work because I think the threads on my crankshaft are stripped out, how in the F--k did that happen? I guess now I'll buy a tap and tap the threads one size bigger and get a bigger bolt! Not what I wanted to do!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #25
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Contrary to an above post, turning that nut IS NOT going to.turn the motor over....the force applied to such a small diameter shaft is not going to turn the entire motor over. IF for some reason of Asgard the motor wants to turn, just wedge the flexplate to the ground with a prybar or the like. No hammers and no torches.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote