The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
502ss

Anybody install these LED headlights on their square bodies?

These are 7" round fully DOT approved LED headlights! Anybody installed them on their square bodies? Would love to see some pics!!

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...4057&langId=-1
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
502ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Anybody install these LED headlights on their square bodies?

they don't have a price listed. How much are they lol?

I saw on trucks, the tv show they put some in that 50ish model truck they were led headlights, pretty bright and looked a bit different.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
502ss

A little over 3 bills!

Amazon.com: Truck-Lite 7'' Round 12v LED Headlamp... Amazon.com: Truck-Lite 7'' Round 12v LED Headlamp...Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

They're not cheap, But they should last dang ear forever. I watched the videos of the guy beating the crap out of them and they still work.

78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

$301.00 each?

On the Truk lites website, they are $549.00 per pair.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 01-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
3r!c84
Badass

ugly imo

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
ugly imo
^^x2
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
benoit454
Chris

holy overpriced lights batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Pop's C-10

snowflakes
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
496 BB

LED technology is NOWHERE close to being proficient for LED headlights. Led other lights yes (if made properly which most are not) but headlights no. First off it says they are designed for 12.8v. Does your truck run exactly at 12.8v? Mine doesnt as most vehicles dont while running. If these have a voltage regulator in them then thats fine but it seems weird to put a regulator in there for exactly 12.8v. It seems an even 12 volts would be easier so i would think no regulator. Even though it says 600v spike that is not a constant 600v. Its a spike is all it protects. So essentially these will be slightly over powered and not last too long at all as with most Chinese made LED crap. Another thing is if they actually do have a voltage regulator is it the type that will follow current down if it drops below the regulated power? If not and your alternator is failing these will go completely dark after it gets below the 12.8v so your driving in the dark.

Personally I dont see these lasting long and Im sure they wont be anywhere up to as bright as you think they would be. There is no way these will compare to a halogen or an HID headlight. NO WAY POSSIBLE. They will not shine the light correctly or even come close to producing the angles of pattern of how they should be.

That DOT approved line there is also BS. I will promise you it is NOT DOT approved in a legality sense.

Save your money and get HIDs and aim them properly. LEDs have a looooong way to go before the technology is there for headlights. It will come but not anytime soon.

Chris
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 01-04-2011 at 10:22 PM.
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
502ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496 BB View Post
LED technology is NOWHERE close to being proficient for LED headlights. Led other lights yes (if made properly which most are not) but headlights no. First off it says they are designed for 12.8v. Does your truck run exactly at 12.8v? Mine doesnt as most vehicles dont while running. If these have a voltage regulator in them then thats fine but it seems weird to put a regulator in there for exactly 12.8v. It seems an even 12 volts would be easier so i would think no regulator. Even though it says 600v spike that is not a constant 600v. Its a spike is all it protects. So essentially these will be slightly over powered and not last too long at all as with most Chinese made LED crap. Another thing is if they actually do have a voltage regulator is it the type that will follow current down if it drops below the regulated power? If not and your alternator is failing these will go completely dark after it gets below the 12.8v so your driving in the dark.

Personally I dont see these lasting long and Im sure they wont be anywhere up to as bright as you think they would be. There is no way these will compare to a halogen or an HID headlight. NO WAY POSSIBLE. They will not shine the light correctly or even come close to producing the angles of pattern of how they should be.

That DOT approved line there is also BS. I will promise you it is NOT DOT approved. What about this also.....This item is subject to U.S. export control laws. Export of such items may require prior authorization from the U.S. Government, including the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry & Security or the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Unauthorized export, reexport, or diversion contrary to U.S. law is prohibited.? That tells me they come from China or somewhere overseas and they are gonna suck. Period.

Save your money and get HIDs and aim them properly. LEDs have a looooong way to go before the technology is there for headlights. It will come but not anytime soon.

Chris
I only partially agree!

I think the next two years will prove they are a lot closer to LED headlights then you think.

As you may know the 2010 Audi r8 is the first car to have LED headlights.

These truck-lite units have been used for the past 1-2 years on military vehicles overseas. (I am sure some of the military board members can chime in)

In regards to there light output check out this Harley Davidson forum. This guy does a comparison between two Harleys parked next to each other. The light output is definitely brighter then the halogen! http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...eadlamp-7.html

I am not sure a company would put a DOT label on a product if it really wasn't? My guess would be major legal ramifications for doing so!

Truck-lite has always been known for making decent products.

Just my opinion!
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
496 BB

I respect that BUT I still think as far as AFFORDABLE LED head lights we are out a ways. I for sure think it will come but until I see ALOT more testing on it Im not going to buy those over an HID set. Did you see the beam pattern these produced on that Harley site? Not the beam I like to see. I am aware of the Audi headlights. Ive seen it in crotch rockets also....think Micheal Jordan actually has some but these are not cheap lights by any means. These are where HIDs were 3-5 years ago. There but costly and need refined. Im sure the Army ones were probably built by Osram and were not cheap. If these are Osram (I couldnt tell) I would not hesitate to say they are great lights. They are a leader in the lighting industry.

As for the DOT I was meaning about the legality of the LED headlights itself. I fixed my post referring to the "export" portion.....was in a hurry and thought it was referring to exporting TO the USA not FROM USA. Sorry for that. Im sure they are approved to be installed in your vehicle but I would like to actually see the report on these. Not trying to be a dick by any means I just want to see how good they really are as Id hate to see someone piss away their money on some junk. I also cant find anything about light output...nothing. I would also like to see the light output graphs.

But hey if they are good then Im all about them....everyone knows I LOVE leds! I would like to dissect a set to see how well they are made first before I tout them.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 01-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
502ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496 BB View Post
I respect that BUT I still think as far as AFFORDABLE LED head lights we are out a ways. I for sure think it will come but until I see ALOT more testing on it Im not going to buy those over an HID set. Did you see the beam pattern these produced on that Harley site? Not the beam I like to see. I am aware of the Audi headlights. Ive seen it in crotch rockets also....think Micheal Jordan actually has some but these are not cheap lights by any means. These are where HIDs were 3-5 years ago. There but costly and need refined. Im sure the Army ones were probably built by Osram and were not cheap. If these are Osram (I couldnt tell) I would not hesitate to say they are great lights. They are a leader in the lighting industry.

As for the DOT I was meaning about the legality of the LED headlights itself. I fixed my post referring to the "export" portion.....was in a hurry and thought it was referring to exporting TO the USA not FROM USA. Sorry for that. Im sure they are approved to be installed in your vehicle but I would like to actually see the report on these. Not trying to be a dick by any means I just want to see how good they really are as Id hate to see someone piss away their money on some junk. I also cant find anything about light output...nothing. I would also like to see the light output graphs.

But hey if they are good then Im all about them....everyone knows I LOVE leds! I would like to dissect a set to see how well they are made first before I tout them.
In regards to DOT, it would be great to get stopped by the police and when they start giving you **** you can show them the dot approval. The problem with this is in my vehicles the lights are the least of my worries so to give the cop **** would only give him reason to look in other directions.

I did notice the beam pattern on the HD, what was strange is that the LED beam pattern was similar to the halogen pattern. So does that mean all 7" round are not the same? I would think if you parked the Harley next to a 77 c10 that the light should output the same beam pattern?

If I still had my 77 I would buy one just so I could try it but the 84 takes 4x6

Oh well!
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
draggin86

I will disagree LED technology is here! the only problem is its still pretty expensive and it has not totally made it to the automotive world. Just look how many cars on the road come with regular ol' signal and running lights 99.99% why?? they are still so expensive a normal bulb is under a few bucks.. leds over 30bucks for just one bulb. Now as for the LED lights not being bright enough... that is just completely wrong! again this technology has quite made it to the automotive world.. now the bicycle world it has been around for a while they have 2-3 LED lights putting out then most car head lights running how very low power and completely controllable as in brightness to flashing patterns.. but they are VERY VERY expensive sometimes over 1000 bucks for just a bike light is a little out of control. when it becomes cheaper it will make it to cars. I think those LED lights are sweet but just to spendy for the average consumer!

here is an example of a LED bicycle light

Last edited by draggin86; 01-04-2011 at 11:19 PM.
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
496 BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin86 View Post
I will disagree LED technology is here! the only problem is its still pretty expensive and it has not totally made it to the automotive world. Just look how many cars on the road come with regular ol' signal and running lights 99.99% why?? they are still so expensive a normal bulb is under a few bucks.. leds over 30bucks for just one bulb. Now as for the LED lights not being bright enough... that is just completely wrong! again this technology has quite made it to the automotive world.. now the bicycle world it has been around for a while they have 2-3 LED lights putting out then most car head lights running how very low power and completely controllable as in brightness to flashing patterns.. but they are VERY VERY expensive sometimes over 1000 bucks for just a bike light is a little out of control. when it becomes cheaper it will make it to cars. I think those LED lights are sweet but just to spendy for the average consumer!

That is nice but Im not quite convinced its brighter than an HID. Maybe it is...I cant find any specs on led headlights anywhere. I think I was mis understood when I said the tech isnt here for LEDs. I meant it was not here "mainstream" wise. I know there are isolated companies making them but as far as a competitive environment/industry it isnt so. It will be though. I think the breakthrough with Audi is a great start. Hell I think even some Prius's had them as an option too???

Whats gonna be cool is the cool stuff you can do with them after you have them for headlights....strobes for plowing, dimming switches, different flashing modules...ect. Maybe even get some blue ones for car show vehicles. Who knows...its the future someday.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....

Last edited by 496 BB; 01-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
gafiredog

Quote:

LED bicycle light ??!!??!! they must be around the same candle power as aircraft landing lights !!!
1987 crewcab dually
1986 crewcab single wheel
1948 anglia- (the dixie twister super gas)
gafiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
496 BB

Yea it was weird like it almost clocked wrong. Who knows. The low beam looked correct for the halogen one though. Its gonna be sweet when these do come around to being priced for the avg consumer. Will piss alot of halogen companies off though...lol.

There are LEDs out there now that are rated at unreal wattage. You just dont want to see the price tag on em. I think once the govnmnt gets more info and better ideas of how the beam patterns and output is applied then more and more companies will start looking into R&D but as of now its something new and not many putting time and money into R&D. I bet Osram is though for sure as they are usually the leaders. MAN they make some nice stuff. Thats the ONLY place I would get a projector housing from.

Anyways I think these would be cool to test out......but I'll let someone else with $700 to burn try em out first

Plus Im with you....I dont have a 79 anymore.
Dana 44 and 14 bolt FF
7.6' Western Plow

2001 Silverado LT HD 4x4
496ci (8.1L)
Allison
EFI Live
And more.....
Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
nbpro
Account Suspended

so happy that one day we all can have LEDs............
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
pig rig

how faraway is that van and bike in that picture?

I'd much rather see a hid and a led light compared at about 100' to 150' out not off a garage door 20' away if that far

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
502ss

What is the brand of that bicycle light? I would love to see the specs!
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #21
draggin86

Here is on of the nicest lights you can put on your bike. it puts out 1850 lumens running 7 cree Leds with lenses

http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products...ghts/betty/14/

Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #22
draggin86

video of it shows the actual light on at 2:42

Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
502ss

$1000 yikes!

I sent this video to my buddy who owns a $10,000 race bike so this light would be right up his alley!
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
draggin86

Hahaha i know right that is a little pricey! the 2011 model has a wider beam and integrated on off switch. Im pretty sure that is brighter then HID. In bicycle lights HID is now the old technology do to the fact that is uses so much power when LED became more advanced all the bike light manufactures jumped on LED's. I am temped to build my own LED lights for my square!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
502ss

Quote:
Hahaha i know right that is a little pricey! the 2011 model has a wider beam and integrated on off switch. Im pretty sure that is brighter then HID. In bicycle lights HID is now the old technology do to the fact that is uses so much power when LED became more advanced all the bike light manufactures jumped on LED's. I am temped to build my own LED lights for my square!
I have done so much with custom led tails and interior and accent lighting in my house etc. But I think the key to headlights is all in the reflector design, I think it would very difficult to build a headlight easily but more power to you. If you decide to do it I will be the first to want to test it
Posted via Mobile Device

Big plans are coming!

My build thread HERE