The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Radical ideas?

Hey ya'll,

I've been thinking about this since I started working on my truck last month. I'd like to install both a forward AND rearward-mounted video camera. I have a hard time parallel parking even a modern car and in this truck it's really is hard to know when I've pulled up or backed up far enough.

What would it take to get both (say toss in a still picture ability and video recording also) cameras to feed to one output display mounted to the driver's side visor? That way I could flip it down to see exactly how close I'm coming to the car in front or in back and still only have to drop my eyes down to see out the windshied.

What say you?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
mike88a

Re: Radical ideas?

I would think it would not be that hard. Just google back up cam kits and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device
mike88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
franken

So you're blind or have one eye?
(Actually, I'm very one eye dominant (scratched something), so laugh when I fall )
If you can see, how does a camera+display, which slows and distorts the view, make it more clear?

At I think UC Berkley, they're working on driverless cars. Perhaps you could get one of those.

I wonder why you want, or have an old vehicle if you want it to behave like a new one...

Another smiley

Last edited by franken; 08-04-2013 at 02:36 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Good grief! I guess I'm lucky I didn't mention the CD player I wanted to mount under the seat!

I don't laugh at anyone who falls....I do however, laugh at those who act like arrogant fools online. :-) One for you!

Thanks mike88a. I'll give it a look. Anyone else?

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 08-04-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My suggestion,even if you get the cameras,is to practice.Get some of the 4 wheeler flags and set them up and practice parking.Develop some spatial awareness of where the truck is in relation to the drivers seat.I have a Panel with much more limited visability and have no problem.I've been driving old stuff for years and have always been able to park it.Knowing where the vehicle "IS" makes driving it much safer.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Smile Re: Radical ideas?

That's very good advice and tip, thanks PanelDeland!

I'll have to get the truck running first (which is still some time off) but that's an excellent idea and I'll compliment you by doing it!

PS: how did you find a panel? I have never even seen one.....
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Now that I've actually slept a couple of hours, when I read those less than encouraging words in the second reply above they sound more silly than arrogant....but the site won't let me edit them again. Writing 2 term papers in the same 24 hours is just tough. I woke up (8 hours of sleep in 2 days) just now and thought it was Monday!

I'm going to go back and give that certain person the benefit of the doubt and send him a PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
cdowns

the most radical idea is to spend the time behind the wheel not at the computer and learn how to drive
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
mike88a

I didn't thinkit was that bad of an idea. I probably wouldn't do it but there is a lot of stuff I see on here I wouldn't do to my truck. Great ideas but not in the vision I have for y truck. The idea is to make it your own and enjoy it. Get that baby running and follow you plan or vision for the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
mike88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
the most radical idea is to spend the time behind the wheel not at the computer and learn how to drive

As my teenaged ski instructor colleagues would say, "haters gonna hate." I'll send you an autographed 8x10 when it's done.

ITTR

My thoughts exactly mike88a, TONS of stuff on here that would never enter my mind to do to my truck but the last thing I'd do is throw off on them. Makes for a harmonious life to realize that people have the right to express themselves and dare to be different.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
treveiger

Why not use the bump method? Basically back up till you hear a slight "tap" then you know you can't go much further. It works well with these steel bumpers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
Why not use the bump method? Basically back up till you hear a slight "tap" then you know you can't go much further. It works well with these steel bumpers.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's funny! When I was in India, that's how they do it, but when they are DRIVING. Boom, boom, boom, hitting the car next to them on the road! My driver hit this guy and I look over (expecting the worst) and the fellow he hit acted like it was as normal as could be.

I guess it'd really work for me when I put those original front bumper guards on huh? LOL
Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
skorpioskorpio

It's common practice in Paris to never set the parking brake so when someone parks in front of or behind your car so that it gives. The French take the term bumper to mean a utility tool attached to the cars ends and not as a safety device. Then again they also use it to remind drivers that slower traffic should stay right on the freeways.

...but anyway, backup cameras are pretty wide angle, and they help you see what's there but I'm not convinced they really help you park a 20' truck in a 21' spot if that's what you are going for, that takes practice and knowing the volume of your truck. It's good reference and may help, but they are a bit fish eyeish. The real problem with the trucks, any full size truck, is that they are 6 inches to a foot wider than a typical car, and with the blunt rear it's easy to "Lose" the car behind you. In my 4x4 Suburban on 37"s I'd say a third of the typical urban vehicles you can't see any part of the vehicle from the drivers seat once you're lined up, not out any window or any mirror. So you get out, check how much space you have left, get back in, leave the door open and park via some reference point on the pavement.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Scott>72-GMC

I will be getting one in the future but more for backing up to a trailer since I'm in a wheel chair and hopping in and out to look doesn't make since now. And I don't trust the wife's directions lol. ( your good keep coming. Boom! ) lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
In The Ten Ring

Ah the French....I don't speak it but I do kiss that way. So in France, it's rather like India, they call it a "bumper" and use it as such. Wow.

Hmm....fish-eye'd aye? I'll give this a lot of thought before I do anything....I generally like to ponder long enough to have at least 2 backup plans on any task. Honestly, I'm rather surprised at myself for even thinking about a non-original mod. I used to be pretty hard-core on originality.

One reason for the cameras, at least the forward pic and video storage, is for reporting possible intoxicated drivers. I report every single one I come across, which so far has been, um, 6. Two of which I was able to keep with until police arrived and I was there for the arrests. Having their weaving across lines on a disc would aid a bit if called into evidence or if I couldn't stick with them, I could just email that to police and they could follow up. My mother was injured for life and nearly killed by a drunk driver when I was 12, so, it's personal.

Scott, I am nearly over a bad ankle injury from um, a literal 10,000 foot fall, but I still don't like having to get out and look! KUDOS to you man for dealing with your issues and not allowing them to keep you at home. Guys like you truly are an inspiration.