The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
xxcbr

Shortbed Opinions - Step or Fleet

Here are a few pics of our project. She was a real basket case when we got her. Luckily, I have a wife that likes to get as greasy (or greasier) than I do. Although it don't show, It has a new oak bed with stainless hardware. I am not a big fan of stepsides. Never have been. We just added the cover last week, tryin' to make myself like it.
My question is, I am thinkin' of swapping beds to a regular shortbed. What do ya think?
Attached Images

xxcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: Shortbed Opinions - Step or Fleet

Never been a stepside fan. I think it makes the truck look funky. There are a few out there that are nice, one member on here has an awesome stepside (white with two red stripes, forget his user name), but in general I'm not a fan of them.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
84 400
Sb 400 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
Never been a stepside fan. I think it makes the truck look funky. There are a few out there that are nice, one member on here has an awesome stepside (white with two red stripes, forget his user name), but in general I'm not a fan of them.
I think he is selling that.

Personally I have always liked them. More of a classic look IMO. But then again a short fleet is more value and they look pretty sweet too. Plus there is more hauling room. I almost switched to a long step a while back But I just love the fleet side look of our trucks. I like the look of your truck with the slotts and the bed cover. eather way that is an awesome project truck! I think both would look good. Welcome from NH

What are the plans for the pickup in the field? yours?
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 05-29-2008 at 03:37 AM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the member you refer to is Stepside 454 and i think stepsides are awesome hot rods but when it comes to haulability they are almost as useless as a yugo... i think you got a kick butt truck and love it just as it is so i vote for keeping it as is particularly if you put a fancy bed floor into it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
ont_guy_38

what did you pay for your vavle covers.Found a set like that and was wondering what they were worth
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Nice truck .. Sounds like she's a keeper! (Your wife that is)

I have a '57 Wide Window Step side that I'm doing a frame up rebuild on..

.. and an '87 Fleetside SWB too...

I say it's personal preference as it is with everything. If you don't have two trucks to enjoy it both ways, and can afford it, get you a second bed for the truck and just switch 'em out when you get the itch... get your wife to help you.

Kenny

Last edited by 87Lowrider; 05-29-2008 at 04:42 AM.
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
1984 swb chevy

Thats a tough one. I have had two step sides and now I have a fleet side. I did like the way my 78 step side looked pro streeted. There is a nice silver step side that is slammed on this site you should check it out. Either way it will look good.
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
SBTork
Garage wrench

I prefer the look of a fleetside over a stepper, but that's just my preference. Whatever you decide it'll be sweet, that engine looks awesome too.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
f.monroe

First things first ..............Welcome to the board from Tx .

As far as the stepside vs fleetside goes , they both look good when done right . The truck looks good the way it sits but if you like fleetsides , go for it . Keep the step bed and you can swap them if the urge hits you . Frank
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
xxcbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
what did you pay for your vavle covers.Found a set like that and was wondering what they were worth
Gottem off E-Bay for 81 bucks with shipping. Alot of work to the engine (as well as everything else). 383, every bolt ARP, roller rockers, alot of head work, etc. Was actually going for the boring look. Pretty motors are too hard to keep clean. Anyway, I hate steel covers, leak too much and was lookin' for some aluminum ones. These were too cheap to pass up. I figured they would be flimsy sheet metal, but to my surprise they are really thick quality covers.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Square84
I don't think these pills work

hey i put the white overlays on my gauges also but the freakin speedo needle wouldnt pull off then it broke when i was tryin to pull it over the needle. how did you do yours without breakin the needle? and the stepsides look cool cause you dont see them every where and yours looks pretty badass.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
xxcbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square84 View Post
hey i put the white overlays on my gauges also but the freakin speedo needle wouldnt pull off then it broke when i was tryin to pull it over the needle. how did you do yours without breakin the needle? and the stepsides look cool cause you dont see them every where and yours looks pretty badass.
The overlays that I used didn't require me to pull any needles. They were pretty simple to install. Thanks for the opinion. We have really been through alot with this truck so far.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #13
SkylineNXS

I personally like the steps, cause i have one, but i think the fleets do look a little nicer. If u do choose to switch, id be interested in the bed floor and the cover if u wanna part with em....

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

First off the truck looks good with the stepside, but I've never been a big fan of a stepside truck. If it was my project I would probably swap out the bed and throw on a nice SWB. Good luck with the decision... it will be a tough one.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
jchav62
1962 C-10

Myself, I prefer fleetsides, but on square bodies it's a toss up. With the look you got going there, I think the stepside kicks a$$... Nice truck...
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
seanconnery

My vote = ditch the stepside and add a fleet. And I LOVE those plain jane looking fabricated valve covers!

RIP Jerry Reed "The Snowman"
seanconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

I'm against the grain here, but I love stepsides. Hauling stuff in them is just fine. The only think you lose is the area in front of and behind the wheelhouses. Sheets of plywood or sheetrock fit in them perfectly.

It's a little trickier to get a good looking rear bumper/rollpan/light treatment on stepsides than fleets, though.

Can I trouble you for more pics of your bed cover and where you got it?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
2bits

I always thought Stepsides looked tougher so if that's the look you want then there ya go. I love these stepside beds. I am surprised by all the non-fans though. Not that I care, I just find it surprizing. I have owned Stepsides and Fleetsides, and I love them both. Asking someone to choose between the two is like asking someone else what your favorite color is, it sounds to me like you want to swap it out, so go for it! It will look great either way and you should have what you like.
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
Pyrotechnic

Check out stepside454's truck here.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=260752

That is one of my favorite stepsides. If you don't like the looks of that truck, then you probably just aren't a stepside guy. If you do like it, there's probably a few little things you can do to yours that will drastically change the look.

If I was in your position, I would go with some standard offset 15x8 chrome wheels, some tires with a taller sidewall, like a 275/60/15. I would also find a good stock grill with the bowtie emblem. I think a black 78 grill with the yellow bowtie emblem and the aluminum trim across the front would sit really well with the light colored paint job.

Your truck looks really nice though. These are just a few of my personal ideas if I were to build a similar truck. Maybe you might consider some of these or they might get your own ideas flowing to get the look you want.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 05-29-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
xxcbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Check out stepside454's truck here.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=260752

That is one of my favorite stepsides. If you don't like the looks of that truck, then you probably just aren't a stepside guy. If you do like it, there's probably a few little things you can do to yours that will drastically change the look.

If I was in your position, I would go with some standard offset 15x8 chrome wheels, some tires with a taller sidewall, like a 275/60/15. I would also find a good stock grill with the bowtie emblem. I think a black 78 grill with the yellow bowtie emblem and the aluminum trim across the front would sit really well with the light colored paint job.

Your truck looks really nice though. These are just a few of my personal ideas if I were to build a similar truck. Maybe you might consider some of these or they might get your own ideas flowing to get the look you want.
Yeah, 454's stepper is a sweet ride. We are still a work in progress on ours though. We are to the point that we can drive it and enjoy it a bit, but at the crossroads of --- do we make major changes or continue on the path we are on. Work has kinda halted on it until we decide.
Although it don't show up very well (i'll try to get a pic later)the grill is actually shot the same color as the truck on the top, bottom and back. The front is brushed. A little different, although that was my 1st thought - Black and Blue and nothin shiny.
1977 Chevy Stepside - 383 CID
1977 Chevy Longbed - 350 CID
1965 Pontiac GTO - 400 CID
Averaging 50 Smiles per Gallon
Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 AM   #21
xxcbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
I'm against the grain here, but I love stepsides. Hauling stuff in them is just fine. The only think you lose is the area in front of and behind the wheelhouses. Sheets of plywood or sheetrock fit in them perfectly.

It's a little trickier to get a good looking rear bumper/rollpan/light treatment on stepsides than fleets, though.

Can I trouble you for more pics of your bed cover and where you got it?
Here are a few pics of the bed cover and a close up of the grill that I mentioned earlier.
The brand of the bed cover is Berlin Covers. I searched for many hours looking for someone who manufactured covers for these trucks. I am sure there is someone else out there but I am tickled to death with this one. It is a snap cover (all I could find) but it does have a neat spring loaded rear rail to allow for easy install. They have a website, check em out. I paid 169.00.
Attached Images

1977 Chevy Stepside - 383 CID
1977 Chevy Longbed - 350 CID
1965 Pontiac GTO - 400 CID
Averaging 50 Smiles per Gallon
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #22
slug

if its pre 67, a fleet. later than that,stepper. i think its because i'v seen less of these.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #23
boatpuller

fleet....but i like em both.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #24
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

personaly i love stepsides. one day will have one. but everybody is different, but with the way your truck looks now, i wouldnt change it, looks great. and i second the vote, keep your wife...wish they were all like thqat...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #25
rustSpot
*NO REGRETS*

Stay step! Just my opinion. My good friend and club member has a badass step I'll post for you to see.
Attached Images

rustSpot is offline   Reply With Quote