The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
jaime.gtz78

title question help please

Ok im looking at a 68 shortbed a guy has for sale thats in Georgia and after going back and forth with him with pictures and what it would cost to have it shipped to Texas he said since his truck is more than 25 yrs old in Georgia they registered the truck in his name but didn't issue a title? Ever heard of that or will I have issues here in Texas getting a title for it? He said hes more than happy to get me any info I need and show his registration papers. I tried researching this but no luck. He gave me his first and last name with vin# also. Any info will be great I plan to talk to the dmv tomorrow.
jaime.gtz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
jaime.gtz78

Re: title question help please

He sent me the registration
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Zable49

Well I just got off the phone with my brother-in-law who lives in Georgia. He said that Georgia doesn't have titles for vehicles over 25 years old. However the current owner can go to his DMV in Georgia and request them to build one for the vehicle since he is selling it out of state. However I guess it will cost a good chunk of change (400 ish).

If you dont have a title for Texas your kinda screwed.
Hope that answered your question.

Good Luck.
Zable49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
jaime.gtz78

In his name shows a title number on it also
Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
flashed

I think you can get a Ga title for around $20 or you could a few years ago ,just not needed here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
jaime.gtz78

Ok i appreciate it i just wanted to make sure on the whole Georgia title deal he told me about.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
junkcarguy

It's 150 here in colorado and I can get a title to almost anything it's become so easy for me it's a barginging chip to drop the price for me most people are scared of title problems I'm not and if the truck is worth it do it
junkcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
jaime.gtz78

Its an original short bed orange with white roof , body has no dings or dents, side lower moding looks great , new 350 crate motor less than 10k miles with 700r4, auto, i been looking for a while and cant find anything thats clean and u can drive for less 9k..if things go well hoping i get it a lot less ..what hes asking now even with shipping its better than i seen around here.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
junkcarguy

I'd buy it there Is a factory 67 swb 6cly three on the tree out side paducha near you for 600.00 has had the same faded for sale sign in it for 20 years I have the address some where I knocked on the old mans door and he said it's still for sale problem being I couldn't find a place to keep it or get it home dam army ruins all my plans
junkcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
jaime.gtz78

I was going to post a pic but my computer is down and not sure how to do it from my cell
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
jaime.gtz78

Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #12
9teen69

Bought mine from Alabama and AL doesn't issue titles on vehicles older than 1975 I think.
Just needed the registration and bill of sale and you're good to go with TX registration. If you get a young clerk at the DMV they'll give you weird look but figure it out.

Nice looking truck. Welcome to the site!
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #13
PAWS 72

I'm from Bama also and Bama DOESN'T issue a title for anything below 1975.

I have heard that Georgia doesn't issue below 25 years also.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
cdowns

i've never had a problem takin a registration from a state that didn't issue titles to my local dmv and having them issue a title for it when i went to register it to me
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
CC69Rat

I have done it personally, I bought one out of SC without a title and to register in TN all you need is evidence of the fact the person that sold you the truck actually owns it. (Current Registration, Bill of Sale, etc.) I would also go to your local Police Dept and have them run the VIN on what they call 'the hot list'. I work in Public Safety.

Maybe call your DMV and just ask .. Hey if I bought it with a current registration and a bill of sale would I have any problem registering it in TX ? I wouldnt think so. Just my .02. I say buy it.. Good lookin truck. If it had a title, it would be worth $1500-2000 more. IF you want to go to the trouble of getting a title on it you can just about count on $2k profit even to flip it.

Good luck man.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
jaime.gtz78

Yeah I just spoke with the local dmv and all I need is a bill of sale and registration paper from him thats it...now just have to see about shipping cost..thanks again
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime.gtz78 View Post
Yeah I just spoke with the local dmv and all I need is a bill of sale and registration paper from him thats it...now just have to see about shipping cost..thanks again
Jaime I didn't think you would have any problems now buy it before it gets away.And enjoy it.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
mr48chev

Quote:
Good thing I scrolled down the page as talking to the people at the local dmv service office is exactly what I was going to suggest. I'd ask the guy to do a notarized bill of sale as Texas usually requires the signatures to be notarized plus that simplifies things if a question comes up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
jaime.gtz78

Well I made arrangements to buy it, exactly what i been looking for with wood bed as well
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I have done it personally, I bought one out of SC without a title and to register in TN all you need is evidence of the fact the person that sold you the truck actually owns it. (Current Registration, Bill of Sale, etc.) I would also go to your local Police Dept and have them run the VIN on what they call 'the hot list'. I work in Public Safety.
That's interesting because SC issues titles on all vehicles of ANY age. SC is also one of the biggest pain in the ass states to get a title if you're trying to register a vehicle without one. (It's difficult in all states, but SC makes it harder, no bonded title options, etc).

To the OP: Congrats! Great looking truck.

Quite a few states don't issue titles on vehicles over a certain age, I think NY is 1973 and older.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Bluechevy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
That's interesting because SC issues titles on all vehicles of ANY age. SC is also one of the biggest pain in the ass states to get a title if you're trying to register a vehicle without one. (It's difficult in all states, but SC makes it harder, no bonded title options, etc).

Quite a few states don't issue titles on vehicles over a certain age, I think NY is 1973 and older.
I once bought a truck (roller) with a bill of sale only. I was able to figure out the last state the truck was registered in was SC. I called but they would not give me the name of the last documented owner but said it had a clear title that hadn't been registered since 2007. Long story short the guy I bought it from said he bought it from a guy that bought it from a guy in SC. I gave up and sold the truck for parts. I think here in KY stuff like this is public knowledge and they will tell you who the last owners were. The clerk's office did tell me that if I had owned the truck for the past 6 years (I think) I could sign a piece of paper and have a new title made.
Bluechevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post

I'm kinda under the impression you're calling me out? All I can tell you is the owner from Greenwood SC did not have a title for a truck I bought from her. I work in Public Safety and I promise you I did my homework. I have access to things not common to the general public and did a ton of research on the history of the truck. I bought the truck with a Bill of Sale, I had to get it appraised by a local GMC dealer, ran through the Hot List of both states and send a certified letter to her stating I was planning to register and apply for a title. She responded as the seller, I sent all the documents along with pictures of the truck to Nashville and I was issued a legitimate TN title. Not sure what more I can tell you .. but about two weeks later I got the title in my name.

Back to the truck - Congratulations man, I really like the orange / white. A wheel change would really make that truck. Are you planning to drop it ?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
Bluechevy68

In my case I think if I could have found out who the last registered owner was I could have probably got a title also. But, would have ran the risk of them claiming it.
Bluechevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I'm kinda under the impression you're calling me out? All I can tell you is the owner from Greenwood SC did not have a title for a truck I bought from her.
Not necessarily, just stating that SC requires all vehicles to be titled. You may not have been able to title the truck in SC if you were a resident here. Because you took it out of state that kinda doesn't matter because you're now on TN's DMV rules. We do issue both bills of sale and titles here (I've received both on every new and used vehicle I've bought), however, if you want a title in this state, you need a transferable title from the seller.

Quote:
yeah he moved from Georgia in Oct he said so still registered under Georgia
uh oh.... he didn't ask for some weird down payment, or money order BS, did he? This is a CLASSIC craigslist scam. It's easy to get VINS off the 'net.

Google the VIN and see if it pops up on multiple sites for sale.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #25
jaime.gtz78

[QUOTE=67ChevyRedneck;6511745]Not necessarily, just stating that Siequires all vehicles to be titled. You may not have been able to title the truck in SC if you were a resident here. Because you took it out of state that kinda doesn't matter because you're now on TN's DMV rules. We do issue both bills of sale and titles here (I've received both on every new and used vehicle I've bought), however, if you want a title in this state, you need a transferable title from the seller.

uh oh.... he didn't ask for some weird down payment, or money order BS, did he? This is a CLASSIC craigslist scam. It's easy to get VINS off the 'net.

Google the VIN and see if it pops up on mul

I had a friend look him up and the address he gave me in michigan is registered in his name, plus i work for verizon so i looked up his cell and sure enough he has our service address and name also matched up...he seemed more scared about me trying to screw him, i also checked the vin and nothing on the web..