The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
skokie

Headlight relay

I was reading this post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=horn and have put this on the list of things to do to my truck. Saw this on lmc truck https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...dlight-harness

Has anyone used the one from LMC?

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Headlight relay

I got mine from there. It's working fine, so far. It's been about 1.5 years since installation.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #3
72SB

Yes, same as mine. Here is my thread about it

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...dlight+harness

Makes not only headlights brighter, but all other lights also
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
Yes, same as mine. Here is my thread about it

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...dlight+harness

Makes not only headlights brighter, but all other lights also
Thanks for the post. How did you tap into the headlight wires? Is there connectors that come with it etc? Do you have more pics of the installation?

Thanks!

68 build thread
Old 11-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #5
72SB

Install is very simple. No cutting any wires. Just mount the relays where I did or on PS of core support if you want. Simple install steps come with harness

Mount relays (I drilled 2 holes in fender lip)
connect harness + wire to the + buss on PS fender by battery
screw ground wire to fender
unplug PS headlight and plug it into harness (marked plug)
plug the harness plug into PS headlight
run harness under core support to DS
Unplug DS headlight (it will be left unused)
plug harness plug into DS headlight

Open beer, admire work

I have one of these in my 67 Camaro also (different brand). All the older cars had full headlight draw go through the switch, so this mod is beneficial to any car/truck of that era
Old 11-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
MARKDTN

These kits are great. I would find one that has the following: at least 2 relays, 1 for high beam and 1 for low beam. Real high quality 5-pin relays made by Bosch, Hella, or Tyco. No offshore China relays (sealed Delco oval relays would also be acceptable-but not square). Actual real relay sockets, if it just has female spades for the relays, pass. Would be nice if the sockets had a mounting tab. Good quality wire and nice loom. Be sure to create a rock-solid ground. You are replacing-or at least supplementing-the factory ground for the headlights with this harness. If you do that you should have something that will last another 50 years.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
These kits are great. I would find one that has the following: at least 2 relays, 1 for high beam and 1 for low beam. Real high quality 5-pin relays made by Bosch, Hella, or Tyco. No offshore China relays (sealed Delco oval relays would also be acceptable-but not square). Actual real relay sockets, if it just has female spades for the relays, pass. Would be nice if the sockets had a mounting tab. Good quality wire and nice loom. Be sure to create a rock-solid ground. You are replacing-or at least supplementing-the factory ground for the headlights with this harness. If you do that you should have something that will last another 50 years.
I have been bitten by offshore stuff before. I am thinking about piecing something together and make my own harness. Thanks again!

68 build thread
Old 11-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
72SB

I wish there was one of these harness that is made in USA, maybe there is.

The one I got for my Camaro from Speedway was in a plastic zip loc bag, no printed instructions but these things are frankly self-describing on how to install. I assume someone made the Speedway one here....but were "offshore" parts used, IDK.

So far, for me both the Speedway one and the LMC one (which is clearly packaged as being from China) are working. YMMV
Old 11-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #9
RichardJ

Those kits seem to be nice, but you are adding 20 feet of extra wires around the radiator support. I added one 12 v wire from the battery junction block across to the driver side fender. I wired the relays like was described in the first post of the link provided by the OP in this thread. Less complicated and far fewer excess wires.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichardJ; 11-08-2022 at 01:07 PM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
72SB

^^??

well a few ways to skin this cat, rolling your own setup is fine

Not sure about your 20' math of extra wiring....

with a harness pre-made you are capturing the high volt, 12vdc, from the buss terminal on PS fender next to battery so that eliminates it coming all the way from the headlight switch to both L&R headlights but the wire running across the core support, IMHO is shorter overall of the 2 eliminated from headlight switch

IMHO either way a non-issue which method you chose. The main reason is to relieve the full draw load of headlights from the headlight switch itself and turning it into a relay trigger to activate the buss bar +12vdc source for headlights
Old 11-08-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
RichardJ

It looks like 20 feet to me and this is just for a two light chevy.
The other link in the first post for LMC shows the guy removing the battery, battery box and loosening the radiator. In the end, they ended up with the battery wiring in the screen capture shown below.

Sorry, I don't want any of that.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2022, 02:34 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

With my first truck I went to the junk yard and gota couple realys froman old Dodge Caravan and with Instructions from MAD Electricals site and did the headlight upgrade bt this time I bought the American Autowre Kit, in 2018, and havent installed it yet.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...ncer-relay-kit

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
It looks like 20 feet to me and this is just for a two light chevy.
The other link in the first post for LMC shows the guy removing the battery, battery box and loosening the radiator. In the end, they ended up with the battery wiring in the screen capture shown below.

Sorry, I don't want any of that.
I would never do a hack install like the one shown in the pic of the LMC one you posted. Never connect an AUX lead wire to main battery post. Use the + Buss on the fender next to battery.....typically a good + battery cable has an AUX wire that feeds this aux buss and are themselves a fusible 30amp link

I did remove the 2 radiator hold down brackets to run the harness in the core support but never had to move the radiator itself. Removing battery makes it easier to unplug PS headlight and access the AUX buss connection

These headlight relay harnesses are very simple, and one can make their own. AAW stuff, IMHO, is always solid stuff. There are also a few independent "wire guys" who make this stuff. Gary @ innovative wiring makes great stuff. IDK if he does make headlight harness but his (battery cables, EL fan relay harness, MAF extensions, etc) are excellent quality
Old 11-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

If one springs for the Holley retro headlights do those need this relay option?
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:12 PM   #15
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
a relay harness will benefit any lamp type used...with that said the Holly LED's are quite bright
Old 11-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #16
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
No relay required when running any LED headlight. I've tested this on my two Suburbans with Holley/Retrobrights and United Pacific. One with relay, one without, no change in LED light brightness or performance.

If running stock headlights or H4 upgrade, relay setup is highly recommended.
It's worth mentioning that the relay setup does take the load off the headlight switch so regardless which headlight you run (stock, H4 or LED), it's an upgrade.

Last edited by Southcity; 11-08-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Southcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:40 PM   #17
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
No relay required when running any LED headlight. I've tested this on my two Suburbans with Holley/Retrobrights and United Pacific. One with relay, one without, no change in LED light brightness or performance.

If running stock headlights or H4 upgrade, relay setup is highly recommended.
It's worth mentioning that the relay setup does take the load off the headlight switch so regardless which headlight you run (stock, H4 or LED), it's an upgrade.
What kind of LED headlights are you running?

Thanks!

68 build thread
Old 11-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #18
Southcity

K10 = Holley Retrobright
GMC = United Pacific

Both perform great but I'm liking the Retrobrights for their stock-lens look
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #19
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
K10 = Holley Retrobright
GMC = United Pacific

Both perform great but I'm liking the Retrobrights for their stock-lens look
Shooo for $200 EACH I'd try a pair of conversion lenses and some amazon or ebay LED bulbs 3 or 4 times over. I'm sure they're nice, but $400 for headlights is a bit much.
https://www.amazon.com/IPCW-CWC-7006...01OMEPEU&psc=1

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #20
Wrenchbender Ret

Halogens became popular in the early to mid 80's.
I can't see any advantage to using relays with LED lamps.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:38 PM   #21
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
George
Some LED set up's pull decent amperage. Mainly in headlight applications, some sort of load to build up heat is used to help keep them from fogging or icing up in poor weather conditions.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #22
skokie

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into both the LED headlights and the relay conversion.
This is why this board is AWESOME!!

68 build thread
Old 11-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #23
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Nope, just the old standard sealed-beam headlamps. Not sure when halogen bulbs became the norm.

I wore glasses from age 7 until I got contacts at 19. Since cataract surgery several years ago, I now just use readers. Improved lighting has always been a good thing for me, no matter my age or vision correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Some LED set up's pull decent amperage. Mainly in headlight applications, some sort of load to build up heat is used to help keep them from fogging or icing up in poor weather conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into both the LED headlights and the relay conversion.
This is why this board is AWESOME!!
FWIW, if you install a relay system into your headlight circuit you really don't need trick headlights. I'm running halogens with a relay system I rolled myself.

When you install one of these kits or roll your own all you are doing is turning your headlight switch into a relay controller. This has two benefits.

First you get a good 14+ volts (engine running) to each headlight straight off the battery where the stock system only gets around 10.8 or so volts to each headlight. Before you install your system measure the voltage at the headlight. You're going to be surprised at what is there.

Second thing is all that current drop has to go somewhere. It is turned into heat. This heat is what takes out your headlight switch. By installing relays to run current directly from the battery you are done replacing headlight switches which get killed from the heat generated from the voltage drop between the switch and the headlights.

Think about it. In a stock system, you have current running from the battery, into the cab, to the headlight switch, to the dimmer on the floor, then out to the headlights. With one of these relay kits the headlight switch tells the relay to turn on the wire from the battery to the headlight.

If you're simply looking for brighter headlights, install one of these kits or roll your own. Drive it at night like that for a while then decide whether $200 headlights are worth it. In this economy I'm guessing you are going to put that $200 light idea on the back burner for a while.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
OregonNed

Installed this wiring kit a couple of years ago - pleased with how it turned out. I do keep a couple of extra relays in the glove box just in case.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #25
72SB

^^^ spot on advice