The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Door panels removed, observations and as usual, question or two

71 Chevy Deluxe

Appreciate the help I received earlier. That common "fork" tool for handle/crank removal makes it a breeze.

Can't say I'm disappointed with the condition of the panels nor the trim they insert into. Nope, not one bit. Of course the paper "chrome" is flaking off, which surrounds the wood grain..........So that brings me to my first question, what are some good ideas for how to deal with this?

There's just one 1" tear on the bottom edge of the LH panel. I figure any black sealant will do. Suggestions appreciated.

The second image of the LH door shows a foam rubber seal for behind the door panel. It's not on the RH door and go figure, the LH panel isn't quite as flat as the RH panel. What's the deal with the seal on the LH door, but not the RH door? The LH panel may have been removed once before, because it's missing two washers for the screws for the bottom of the panel. Missing hardware appears to be a common theme on the interior of this truck.

Thank you.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-15-2015 at 12:30 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
OUbesto

Re: Door panels removed, observations and as usual, question or two

I recently removed both of my '70 C10 door panels and both sides had the foam strip seals. Both sides of my panels were pretty well disintegrated, so I purchased replacement foam tape from my local O'Reilly's auto parts store. I was never really sure of the exact purpose of the seals????? Anyone know their purpose?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUbesto View Post
I recently removed both of my '70 C10 door panels and both sides had the foam strip seals. Both sides of my panels were pretty well disintegrated, so I purchased replacement foam tape from my local O'Reilly's auto parts store. I was never really sure of the exact purpose of the seals????? Anyone know their purpose?
Yeah, anyone know their purpose? (ha) From what I can tell, their purpose is to ensure your panel is no longer flat. But really, I'm guessing noise and wind reduction.

And go figure I only have one. That's consistent with what I've found on the interior of this truck. On the good side, they sure built a nice interior for these trucks. My visors, arm rests, dash pad etc., 45 years later and still like new.

Let me take a stab at my first question (bump too). There's a "chrome" paint you can use on the plastic. With a good eye and brush, and a steady hand, they can look good as new.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Am I missing something or is there no easy way to get behind the inner door panel? I bet reinforcements for the sport mirrors etc. are a real treat.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Phildeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Am I missing something or is there no easy way to get behind the inner door panel? I bet reinforcements for the sport mirrors etc. are a real treat.
Hahaha yes they are! I had to get creative and do it solo. I was able to do it by being on the inside of the door with my right arm in the door and my left arm through the vent window lining it up and turning the screwdriver.
Phildeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildeez View Post
Hahaha yes they are! I had to get creative and do it solo. I was able to do it by being on the inside of the door with my right arm in the door and my left arm through the vent window lining it up and turning the screwdriver.
Ha, that's what a wife is for. Congrats on the accomplishment. No way I try it alone.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Ha, that's what a wife is for. Congrats on the accomplishment. No way I try it alone.
I didn't know about the plates to mount the mirrors. So used real big fender washers and a nut on each bolt. Talk about difficult!!! The plates would've been a breeze. But yeah the inside of these doors can be challenging to work on. Oh and while you're in there take a good magnet and collect all the rust that's probably laying in the bottom of the doors.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I didn't know about the plates to mount the mirrors. So used real big fender washers and a nut on each bolt. Talk about difficult!!! The plates would've been a breeze. But yeah the inside of these doors can be challenging to work on. Oh and while you're in there take a good magnet and collect all the rust that's probably laying in the bottom of the doors.
I don't have much in the way of rust. Dry climate, hasn't seen a storm in decades, and I haven't washed the body in at least a decade. But I did just pull off a handful of leaves and such from the LH door. Needs a good vacuuming. When I took the LH panel off, there was what appeared to be a 6"x5"ish piece of mystery paper between that and the door.

I can't wait to see what "treasure" is under the seat, mat and gas tank. Hoping to at least locate the spring clips for the bench tracks.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-14-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
My wife has small hands. I have her assist on a lot of these tasks. It's amazing what those small hands can do (Keep it clean. I'm talking in tight locations on vehicles here).

Your panels look great!

Two constructive comments...
These were designed as "wet doors". I think the purpose of that seal is to prevent water intrusion into the cab. Regarding the silver trim... there was a thread a year or 2 ago regarding a good repair. I'm not sure who posted it, but it may have been davepl. Maybe there's something in his build thread or you could PM him. In the meantime I'll see if I can find it.

Jim
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
My wife has small hands. I have her assist on a lot of these tasks. It's amazing what those small hands can do (Keep it clean. I'm talking in tight locations on vehicles here).

Your panels look great!

Two constructive comments...
These were designed as "wet doors". I think the purpose of that seal is to prevent water intrusion into the cab. Regarding the silver trim... there was a thread a year or 2 ago regarding a good repair. I'm not sure who posted it, but it may have been davepl. Maybe there's something in his build thread or you could PM him. In the meantime I'll see if I can find it.

Jim
Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hmmmmmm, water intrusion huh? Interesting. If that's all, I probably won't replace the one I have. Panel is nice and flat w/o it.

If "you" think about it, that seal could be: 1. air/noise reduction. 2. water intrusion as you say. 3. protect the panel.

Where the heck is the Special K, Custom 10, SSTim, Grumpy types?.........Bet we'd get some confirmation.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-14-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
NTIMID8R

On the plastic chrome around the woodgrain on the door panel: Hobby Lobby or other craft stores sell chrome mylar in different size rolls. I haven't tried it but read about it on this forum and in fact, I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to look for some. It can be bought online also and comes in different widths.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

1971 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/TH350, Factory Air Lots, of future mods planned!!
NTIMID8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Very interesting Tim, but not funny..........Sorry, just showing my age. I think I've read that before. Thanks.

Say, check this out. Plug "chrome mylar" into Ebay search. Very nice.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
NTIMID8R

Quote:
Very interesting Tim, but not funny..........Sorry, just showing my age. I think I've read that before. Thanks.

Say, check this out. Plug "chrome mylar" into Ebay search. Very nice.
If you're talking about those schwinn seats, those are bad a$$.

Also on ebay or google it: chrome detailing foil tape

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTIMID8R View Post
If you're talking about those schwinn seats, those are bad a$$.

Also on ebay or google it: chrome detailing foil tape

You got that right. I had a Lemon Peeler. My brother had a Pea Picker. Seats were different on the krates, but still vintage Schwinn. Thanks for info.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-14-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
NTIMID8R

Quote:
You got that right. I had a Lemon Peeler. My brother had the Pea Picker. Thanks for info.
I had bikes with banana seats but wasn't fortunate enough to have the cool schwinns. Hell, I'd like to buy one of those seats just to hang on the wall

Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
FirstOwner69

Below is a link to davepl's thread (with pictures that look great) about the chrome repair. AND, it is Mylar tape as stated by NTIMID8R.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...me+restoration
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Below is a link to davepl's thread (with pictures that look great) about the chrome repair. AND, it is Mylar tape as stated by NTIMID8R.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...me+restoration
Cool, thank you.................I noticed he never returned with the end result. I see that a lot on this board.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-15-2015 at 12:24 AM.