The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Instrument Lighting

I've got a factory tach cluster I'm gathering stuff to install. One of the items I'd like to change is the lighting. Right now the stock cluster is actually pretty bright even without the chrome paint trick. I'm looking to go LED. I will end up painting the backside of the cluster with the chrome paint so I have better reflective quality.

Through SuperbrightLEDs.com, they have wide angle LED wedge base bulbs that drop right in to replace the stock bulbs. They come with resistors installed so you don't have to cut the voltage down like you would with regular LEDs. They have a good range of colors, but I've been torn on what to use. White would be a straight upgrade over the yellowish 194's, but kind of boring. My next though was blue for an indiglo look, but with black faced gauges I'm not sure how it would show up or if it might wash out the white lettering. Next though would be the UV/blacklight color. I'm thinking it might give the coolest effect with the stock white on black gauges. The white lettering and dayglow orange needles would pop against the black background. This would be without lighting up the inside of the truck from the cluster.

Has anybody else looked at doing this? What colors would look best?

(I did check out the write up on mikes73-87 page for LED's but I don't want to get that complicated. I've got enough to do to make a hybrid 75/78 tach cluster out of two. Mainly it will be a 78 cluster with the 75 mechanical oil pressure gauge, but I have to rewire the 75 connector to match the 78 cluster.)
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote