The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Kracin

69 Fleetside, Build and Sell!

before i get started i want to let everyone know that wants to maybe say some bad things about the way im doing this truck, since people do love these things and so do i.... i dont have the time or resources to do a truck completely right (welding in new sheet metal in bad spots, etc), im pressed for time since this is basically to put some money in my pocket and fund the truck i really want (64 short stepside for the wife) when i get back home. and a 66 nova ss for me. im selling to a specific demographic here (younger kids who are in the military, just moving to the island, looking for a sweet ride and something to blow their paycheck on..happens all the time)

after deciding that i wanted to get some practice on some older cars before i move back home and find the one i want to build, i found this 69 fleetside for 2,000 here in honolulu, already had a 350 with edelbrock performer intake mani, edelbrock 600cfm carb, hedman headers, and msd ignition, recently rebuilt and powers through a th350 auto trans. the truck runs smooth as glass, sounds awesome, doesnt have a single leak out of any hose, no vacuum problems, and the underside frame is literally in perfect condition, no deterioration in the frame at all.

the body is also in very nice condition for the area it was in and what it was being used for (bought it from a nice local guy that owned and worked in a cemetary here, and used the truck to haul dirt back and forth).

when i got the truck i took some starter pics, so here it is, the major areas that need work are the driver and passenger running boards, the front right fender, and the top of the inside of the cabin where the visors are at (common areas).

this is my first restoration, real bodywork/bondo car, paint job, and a first for a lot of things so we will see how it goes, my plan is to spend 2500 only on the truck , and resell for around 12 when it looks complete enough to put on the market down here.

List of parts i already bought for the truck, and money already spent.

New DS and PS runners (below the door) - came with the truck
Weather strip set (all of it) - came with the truck
Dash grate for where the dash meets the window - came with the truck
new knobs - came with the truck
New tailgate
new gauge bezel and lenses
overhead vinyl cover
new cabin light
6" drop springs for the rear (cutting front)
cherry bomb glass packs
new chrome door sill plates

also i have a friend here who does alot of his own work and recently sold his 70 rs camaro and had alot of leftover parts not used, so i got from him

Flame thrower Distributor
chrome 100 amp alternator
750 cfm holley carb

so heres the pics

interior is in great shape as well, no rust inside except for the overhead area, going to put in a new stereo and replace the AC unit with a tri-gauge autometer setup to get some extra gauge in theres that dont come stock. and replace the vents with small tweeters. truck has perfect glass all around as well.

heres that trouble spot, planning on removing all the rust, getting it set clean, primering over to prevent further rust and then using fiberglass resin and cloth to form a new overhead area, then ill be covering with a black cabin felt

all the hardware inside the truck works great, windows are good, the triangle windows are working, the wipers and lights all work

its on the 15x8's and ill keep them on it and take off the chrome parts, get them powdercoated black or paint them black myself, then put the chrome parts back on them. the side of the truck is in good shape as well, minor rust spots minus under the doors.

already purchased a new tailgate to replace this one, i dont need the extra hassle of opening a tailgate to replace internal movie parts or trying to tear it apart to smash it back into shape, easier to just spend 100 and get a new one.

like i said, the guy used it as a dump truck in the graveyard, fitting place for a truck going under huh? the bed has since been cleaned out and has too much dent and rust damage on the bottom of the bed to be used, so ill either be replacing with a wood bed, or finding a bed liner after removing the rust and resealing it with primer and paint.

drip rails need work but the damage doesnt go all the way through to the cabin as far as i can see, it may have soaked through enough to cause damage inside the cabin as seen before, but im planning on doing my best to salvage what i can, and remove all the surface rust then filling in with lead body filler to create a lip around the cabin that looks like it belongs, shaving will be too much work for the amount of time i can spend on this truck

engine bay is in great shape as well, just needs tlc and some spit shining.

like stated before, completely rebuilt, with the listed mods before to the engine, it just needs a new dist cap since its showing its wear, and some performance tuning (mechanical advance to be put on with the new dist)

Last edited by Kracin; 06-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Kracin is offline   Reply With Quote