The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Project Larry - 1964 Chevy

So, here is the story. I wanted to buy a old truck that I could drive daily while I built my '53 GMC panel truck. I found, and subsequently made a deal for a 1964 3/4 ton long bed pickup. The guy provided me with an antique auto appraisal for the truck valuing it way above the purchase price. The motor had little to no evidence of oil build up and ran great. The trans shifted awesome...etc. So I bought it. Drove it home and to work the next day. On my way north at about the 24 hour mark, the motor took a dump. According to the compression test after the fact, the motor had lost the rings on at least 4 of the 8 cylinders. The P.O. wouldn't accept any responsibility let a lone willing to payout for anything.

I ended up finding a motor on the local ads that came as a package with a th350, a torque converter, and delivery! Realizing that I was taking another risk but not being able to afford anything else I bought the motor. Below is the photographic progress of the project. As of about 6pm today the new engine is firing/running and the truck is about reassembled.

After arriving at the shop and getting the hood off:

The old engine:

My cousin Jeff helping pull the old engine and trans:

The engine hanging from the 2 ton chain ceiling system. If you haven't used a system like this before it is awesome!

Empty engine bay:

New engine. This is the pre LS 350 but with Vortec heads. Same basic motor that's in my panel truck so I'm pretty familiar with it thus it was my best choice.

The engine and transmission:

Huge jump forward as I forgot my camera for a day. But the engine is in and partially hooked up:

Photo of the interior all torn apart and the Lokar Nostalgia shifter in place. Had to pirate the shifter from my panel truck!

Close up of the installed engine. This is right after it fired for the first time.
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote